Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Grilling

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Grill plates rule.
    Which ones Beef, the stainless steel ones or the electric grill teflon plates?/???
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Cast iron. Turf and I are pros on them. Put them on the grill over the gas, and you can flat iron anything. Plus it regulates the temperatures much better than a flame.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Cast iron. Turf and I are pros on them. Put them on the grill over the gas, and you can flat iron anything. Plus it regulates the temperatures much better than a flame.
    Nice. I moved away from gas because of how easy it was to grill with charcoal. The heat is so much more even. I never thought of using cast iron on the gas grill though.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    I ordered a new Weber one touch Gold, 22.5 inch black grill today. I am happy, I know its not as nice as some other grills, but its exactly what I want, and it matches my WSM smoker.

Super excited, I had to take my other grill to the dump because the leg rusted off. Havent grilled a burger in weeks.
    Very nice. With a little disposable tin foil roast pan, you can turn that into a smoker easy.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Charcoal is a carcinogen.

7. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    Very nice. With a little disposable tin foil roast pan, you can turn that into a smoker easy.
    Yeah, Its pretty versatile. I like the hinged grill, and there are rotisserie accessories etc...

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Charcoal is highly recommended.

Ribeye steaks are highly recommended, too. Here is my secret recipe for Ribeye steak.

1 cup of Soy Sauce
    1 cup of Red Wine Vinegar
    1 or 1/2 cup of finely chopped Green Onions
    Fresh Ground Pepper

*Combine them well in the large bowl.

*Insert this Marinade into plastic ziploc bag or marinade tupperware.

*Make a bunch of holes into steaks with fork and insert steaks into either plastic zipock bag or tupperware. Put it your ref.

*Marinate Ribeye steaks for 2 days.

*Toss steaks on Charcoal BBQ and cook it slowly. Enjoy it!

10. The Following User High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

so when you guys smoke your brisket... What temp are you guys looking for? Ive tried 180 and 195. 180 worked out best for me, but Im thinking on taking it to 170, and letting it sit 2 hours (in foil in a cooler).

You are talking about the internal temp of the brisket itself. I always take mine to 190-195, and then put it in a cooler for at least 2 hours. Usually I lightly foil the Brisket somewhere after 6-8 hours. At this point it's got all the smoke it's going to get into the meat, and the foil helps to keep it moist.

Letting it sit in the cooler afterwards is an extended rest that really improves the overall product imo.

If you don't cook it until at least 190, it will not finish breaking down the connective tissue and it will be tough.

If you monitor the Brisket's internal temperature while cooking, it will relatively quickly heat up to around 160 during the first few hours in a 200-220 degree smoker. And then it will "plateau" around 165-170 for several hours as the connective tissue is broken down. Finally, it will break out of the plateau once it gets above 180. But if you take it off at 170 it will not even be close to being done.

12. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    You are talking about the internal temp of the brisket itself. I always take mine to 190-195, and then put it in a cooler for at least 2 hours. Usually I lightly foil the Brisket somewhere after 6-8 hours. At this point it's got all the smoke it's going to get into the meat, and the foil helps to keep it moist.

Letting it sit in the cooler afterwards is an extended rest that really improves the overall product imo.

If you don't cook it until at least 190, it will not finish breaking down the connective tissue and it will be tough.

If you monitor the Brisket's internal temperature while cooking, it will relatively quickly heat up to around 160 during the first few hours in a 200-220 degree smoker. And then it will "plateau" around 165-170 for several hours as the connective tissue is broken down. Finally, it will break out of the plateau once it gets above 180. But if you take it off at 170 it will not even be close to being done.
    What size of brisket do you use, and do you mop it at all during the smoke? 190-195 (Internal Temp) seems to dry the briskett out. In all fairness I need to do a thermomitor test, I dont trust mine to much.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

What size of brisket do you use, and do you mop it at all during the smoke? 190-195 (Internal Temp) seems to dry the briskett out. In all fairness I need to do a thermomitor test, I dont trust mine to much.
    Well... .you know. ... I spent a grand on the Big Green Egg thing, so my food doesn't ever get dried out.

I don't ever mop or anything, but like I said I do foil it somewhere between 6-8 hours usually. I don't ever have trouble with it being dried out.

Brisket is bad about drying out pretty quickly after you slice it, but that's just the nature of the beast. I always just try to not slice it until the last minute. No matter how juicy it is, if you slice it and let it sit around for 20-30 minutes it will be dried out.

You could probably pull it off at 185, but I certainly wouldn't take it out at 170. That's just not going to have had enough time to break down all the tough connective tissue.

15. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Also, to answer your question on size of brisket. I use a full 10-12 lb brisket.

I usually smoke the whole thing for somewhere around 12-15 hours based on size (around 1.25 hours per pound) at around 220 degrees. At that point, I cut the point apart from the flat, and leave the point on for another 4-5 hours to make some "burnt ends". Meanwhile, I let the flat sit wrapped in the cooler for a couple hours, and usually serve it sliced. When the point/burnt ends are finished, I usually pull it for pulled beef.

17. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Well... .you know. ... I spent a grand on the Big Green Egg thing, so my food doesn't ever get dried out.

I don't ever mop or anything, but like I said I do foil it somewhere between 6-8 hours usually. I don't ever have trouble with it being dried out.

Brisket is bad about drying out pretty quickly after you slice it, but that's just the nature of the beast. I always just try to not slice it until the last minute. No matter how juicy it is, if you slice it and let it sit around for 20-30 minutes it will be dried out.

You could probably pull it off at 185, but I certainly wouldn't take it out at 170. That's just not going to have had enough time to break down all the tough connective tissue.
    I think 185 Is going to be my sweet spot. The only brisket Ive ever had was my own, so I dont really know what to compare it to. I do know it is now my favorite hunk of meat.

Also, to answer your question on size of brisket. I use a full 10-12 lb brisket.

I usually smoke the whole thing for somewhere around 12-15 hours based on size (around 1.25 hours per pound) at around 220 degrees. At that point, I cut the point apart from the flat, and leave the point on for another 4-5 hours to make some "burnt ends". Meanwhile, I let the flat sit wrapped in the cooler for a couple hours, and usually serve it sliced. When the point/burnt ends are finished, I usually pull it for pulled beef.
    I will have to try foiling it. Great post, and do you go to a local butcher to find the 10-12 lb'rs? Costco and Publix here dont carry them that large. Im lucky to find a 7.5 lb slab.

I might need to call around, I think the size contributes to the juicyness...

Also, im still perfecting temp control, Ive had a couple large swings in my temp the last 2 times ive cooked. I think I have those things figured though.

19. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Seven View Post
    Charcoal is highly recommended.

Ribeye steaks are highly recommended, too. Here is my secret recipe for Ribeye steak.

1 cup of Soy Sauce
    1 cup of Red Wine Vinegar
    1 or 1/2 cup of finely chopped Green Onions
    Fresh Ground Pepper

*Combine them well in the large bowl.

*Insert this Marinade into plastic ziploc bag or marinade tupperware.

*Make a bunch of holes into steaks with fork and insert steaks into either plastic zipock bag or tupperware. Put it your ref.

*Marinate Ribeye steaks for 2 days.

*Toss steaks on Charcoal BBQ and cook it slowly. Enjoy it!
    Real similar to a kabob marinade I use. I use dry mustard and garlic vs green onions. Definitley going to try this weekend. It might be the cherry popper on my grill!

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I think 185 Is going to be my sweet spot. The only brisket Ive ever had was my own, so I dont really know what to compare it to. I do know it is now my favorite hunk of meat.

I will have to try foiling it. Great post, and do you go to a local butcher to find the 10-12 lb'rs? Costco and Publix here dont carry them that large. Im lucky to find a 7.5 lb slab.

I might need to call around, I think the size contributes to the juicyness...

Also, im still perfecting temp control, Ive had a couple large swings in my temp the last 2 times ive cooked. I think I have those things figured though.
    The 7.5 lb is probably just "the flat" portion of the brisket.

I don't have trouble finding them here, but certainly if you called a butcher they'd be able to get you one. I do think that doing the whole brisket helps it in terms of keeping it moist, but also lengthens the time of the cook, and increases the degree of difficulty because you have to keep a constant temp for a lot longer.

With your equipment, the smaller flat portion is probably best. And certainly it won't take 12 hours to cook it either.

Being in Florida, it might not be a popular cut for them to put out at the local grocery stores, so you might have to have a butcher get you one. But again, with your equipment, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. A full brisket is probably the most difficult thing to get right for anyone. Lots of trial and error.

Temperature control is key. The brisket needs to stay at that "plateau" temperature long enough for the tough connective tissues to be broken down. If you get your fire too hot and break it out of that plateau too soon, the result will usually be tough and dry.

Doing the smaller portion, the brisket won't stay in the plateau for that long, but I don't have much experience at all in doing just the "flat", so I can't tell you how long.

Edit: And I agree. .. .good brisket is about the best food ever on Earth.

22. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

The 7.5 lb is probably just "the flat" portion of the brisket.

I don't have trouble finding them here, but certainly if you called a butcher they'd be able to get you one. I do think that doing the whole brisket helps it in terms of keeping it moist, but also lengthens the time of the cook, and increases the degree of difficulty because you have to keep a constant temp for a lot longer.

With your equipment, the smaller flat portion is probably best. And certainly it won't take 12 hours to cook it either.

Being in Florida, it might not be a popular cut for them to put out at the local grocery stores, so you might have to have a butcher get you one. But again, with your equipment, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. A full brisket is probably the most difficult thing to get right for anyone. Lots of trial and error.

Temperature control is key. The brisket needs to stay at that "plateau" temperature long enough for the tough connective tissues to be broken down. If you get your fire too hot and break it out of that plateau too soon, the result will usually be tough and dry.

Doing the smaller portion, the brisket won't stay in the plateau for that long, but I don't have much experience at all in doing just the "flat", so I can't tell you how long.

Edit: And I agree. .. .good brisket is about the best food ever on Earth.
    Not sure I like how you refer to "my equipment" NTL.

24. The Following 4 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information