Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broncos have few players left from recent drafts

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller, Peyton's Neck

We all know that Shanny's drafts weren't good. Outside of a few standouts. Let's all be truthful.

McD's draft choices need a little more time to really make an honest assessment. Outside of the debacle which seems to be Phonz. I sure hope the kid can do something this year if he is still with the team.

On a side note, the statistics are just another way to provide proof that the owners need the slotted rookie salary cap.
    Thanks Shake!

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dirk For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    yeah.. we would still have some if we hadn't gotten rid of each and every one that was starting for the team just two years ago. Not exactly a brilliant statement to make by saying they aren't on the team when the current coach keeps trading them off.
    square pegs.....round holes. Numerous years of mediocrity....missed playoffs.... It was time for an overhaul. And it needed to start at the top.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived rcsodak For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    Like I care read it or not no skin OFF my johnson. RIF
    My sentiments exactly. Evidently noob doesn't know what a PM is.

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Josh cleaned house when he got here. Got rid of some not so good players and got rid of some pro bowlers. Otherwise we would still have alot of those draftees.

We also switched schemes on BOTH sides of the ball. Going from 4-3 to 3-4 on defense and going from WCO to a Run and Gun/Spread hybrid on offense.

Not to mention the coaches.
    Shanny was well on his way to converting to a 3-4. Wonder how long THAT would have taken?

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post
    Shanny was well on his way to converting to a 3-4. Wonder how long THAT would have taken?
    Too bad he wasted a top pick on a QB in 06 instead of a top DL like Ngata!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Quote Originally Posted by BeyBeyDay7302777 View Post
    It is like if one of my cats got into my wine coolers and then typed! LOL!

(I also enjoy how you include your cats in everyone of your posts)

Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe

Dirk is so agree with your observations of needing a slotted rookie salary cap. Also I really like Shanny but his drafts were not great. I didn't read the article as a cut on Shanny but how it's hard to build a team from the inside out if you don't draft players that can produce earlier than later and but also can grow with your team.

I was listening to "The Fan" yesterday and they were talking to Darren Woodson. He said that Jimmy Johnson was a great at drafts and that when they Cowboys won the Super Bowls it was because Jimmy was so skilled at that part of the process. Also he said Parcell is really good it too and credited Parcell to a lot of the good players they have right now. He said the guys in between, not so much and that's why the Cowboys had some really lean years there.
    Getting Stoked

10. The Following User High Fived pnbronco For This Post:

Jimmy J had some great drafts becaue he had a boatload of picks and if you remember he WAS fresh out of the college ranks and got a lot of feed back from his ciaching buddies far more than the normal NFL scouts get. As well as he scouted a lot of those same players whne they WAS applying to his school so he had more than just college game film on them.

The hersel walker trade gave him a huge leg up on the other teams.

But if you note after those first few drafts he became very average in bringing in talent. Once his college advantage went away.

square pegs.....round holes. Numerous years of mediocrity....missed playoffs.... It was time for an overhaul. And it needed to start at the top.
    Mikey certainly stunk it up on day one with only good picks from the lb spots. 3 of them but beyond that not real swift. Even fubared the pierce pick at LB. IMHO mikeys choice made little sense either. At least when weighing the true needs of the TEAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Too bad he wasted a top pick on a QB in 06 instead of a top DL like Ngata!!
    Couldn't have said it better......

Couldn't have said it better......
    That WAS really the only reason I could not embrace jay. We had much greater needs than QB and as we all know ven he could not save mikey from self destructing. In fact WAS probably the reason for it. Got a plane to catch. Later

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Josh cleaned house when he got here. Got rid of some not so good players and got rid of some pro bowlers. Otherwise we would still have alot of those draftees.

We also switched schemes on BOTH sides of the ball. Going from 4-3 to 3-4 on defense and going from WCO to a Run and Gun/Spread hybrid on offense.

Not to mention the coaches.
    Exactly!!

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    OK, so we only have 25% of the players we drafted from '04 to '08. How does that stack up to the rest of the league? What's the league average, high and low?
    Denver is slightly above average. The number would better if McDaniels wouldn't have traded or release some of the younger player for later drafts.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post

The hersel walker trade gave him a huge leg up on the other teams.
    But hasn't McDaniels *had* the equivalent of the Herschel Walker trade in the bounty of picks that he got from dealing Cutler and Marshall?

And what has he drafted?

A running back who can't stay healthy. A quarterback who can't throw. A defensive back who's too small to cover, a WR who has already missed part of this year's camp with injuries and a DE converted to LB who was worthless last season but may actually wind up being the only decent pick of the bunch.

When Legwold writes this column again in 2015, we'll shake our heads in dismay that McDaniels did such a crap-tastic job in the first two rounds of his first two drafts and point to why Head Coach Kubiak has so very few of McDaniels' picks still around in Denver.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Is it me or was that article a very sad (but true) indictment of Shanahan and the FO?
    It's you. You do realize, of course, that the average life span of an NFL player in the league is 3-4 years. Going back to 2004 and 2005 in 2010 is like going back to the wishbone era.

Just curious but...how many Saints are still in New Orleans from their 2004 draft? How many Steelers are still around from their 2004 draft? Between free agency and regime changes, the only players who don't change uniforms over 6-7 years are the superstars like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Pretty much every one else plays musical chairs either from injuries, cuts, free agency or trades. Guys who stay around with one team for a long time who aren't pro bowlers are pretty rare.
    Last edited by OrangeHoof; 09-03-2010 at 01:32 AM.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information