Thread: Broncos' rookie class off to a strong start

Default Broncos' rookie class off to a strong start

Broncos' rookie class off to a strong start
    Tebow not only star student
    By Jeff Legwold
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 09/01/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Zane Beadles, a second-round pick from Utah, has stretched his rookie status into being a key contributor on the Broncos' offensive line. He has played with the No. 1 offense at left guard and likely will be all-pro Ryan Clady's backup at left tackle. (John Leyba, The Post)
    For many Broncos fans, the team's rookie class can be summed up in just two words.

Tim. Tebow.

"No question, people love the guy," said rookie wide receiver Eric Decker, who has been Tebow's roommate during training camp. "It's really not a surprise with everything he did in college. He takes the heat for the rest of us."

And while Tebow leads the NFL in jersey sales, has launched his own line of shoes, signed an endorsement deal for underwear and been named a most eligible bachelor, the other players in the Broncos' rookie class also are trying to make an impression entering the final days of their first NFL preseason.

They have toiled in the rather large shadow cast by Tebow, with at least one headed for the starting lineup before the rookie quarterback from Florida gets there.

"I think it's a great group of guys," Tebow said. "We're all here trying to do as much as we can to be as big a part of the team as we can be."

The first rookie into the Broncos' starting lineup is center J.D. Walton, who has worked with the first-team offense since training camp opened. Walton was a third-round pick — 80th overall — and was considered by many NFL teams the second-best center on the draft board behind Florida's Maurkice Pouncey, a first-round pick by Pittsburgh.

Walton, a Baylor product, already has gotten a taste of what awaits him in the regular season. He locked up with Lions rookie defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and former Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton of the Steelers in Denver's last two preseason games.

"I just feel like I've got a lot of stuff to work on, that every day needs to be some kind of learning experience for me," Walton said. "I didn't really give much thought to starting or whatever when I got here. I just wanted to show up, get the respect of the older guys and see what happened. They could take you out as fast as they put you in. I don't feel settled or anything."

The other rookie poised to make an impact is cornerback Perrish Cox, a fifth-round pick from Oklahoma State. Cox has been the Broncos' primary kickoff and punt returner throughout the preseason and has played at left cornerback with the starting defense when Champ Bailey has not been available.
    Cox, who made an impressive interception during Sunday's preseason game against the Steelers, has shown the willingness to mix it up with more experienced wide receivers.

"I tell everybody, 'The playbook is big, you ain't never seen a playbook in college like the one they hand you here,' " Cox said. "I'm just trying to learn my spots, where the help is and know where they need me to be."

Zane Beadles, a second-round pick from Utah, opened training camp as the starting left guard. But he has been moved outside to tackle, where it looks like he will back up all-pro Ryan Clady and be a swing player who can fill in at both positions.

Syd'Quan Thompson, a cornerback from California who had a 62-yard punt return and a 48-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Steelers, has positioned himself to make the roster — as has undrafted rookie Cassius Vaughn, a contributor on special teams who has outstanding speed.

"We know kind of who's right there on the cusp of making it at certain spots," coach Josh McDaniels said.

The biggest question mark in the Broncos' rookie class continues to be Tebow's fellow first-round pick, wide receiver Demaryius Thomas. He fractured his left foot just before the draft and missed most of the Broncos' offseason workouts. He started to show progress early in training camp before injuring his foot in the Aug. 7 practice at Invesco Field. He missed several practices, tried to return once and has not been on the field since. His status, as the Broncos' Sept. 12 season opener approaches, is uncertain.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Read more: Broncos' rookie class off to a strong start - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz0yKJCavLs

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

What difference a year makes....

....not to mention actually having time to scout the players.

Great draft! Outstanding potential!
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived rcsodak For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information