Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Alphonso Smith could be one and done in Denver

Default Alphonso Smith could be one and done in Denver

Alphonso Smith could be one and done in Denver
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 31, 2010 12:31 PM ET
    Josh McDaniels made a few questionable decisions during his desultory first draft as Broncos head coach, but none looks worse than the decision to trade a first-round pick for cornerback Alphonso Smith.

The draft class has time to turn it around, but Smith may not. One year later, Dave Krieger of the Denver Post writes that Smith may not even make the team.

At this point, Smith appears to be battling rookie seventh-round pick Syd'Quan Thompson for the ninth and possibly final defensive back roster spot. Thompson is coming off a preseason performance that showed more promise than anything Smith has done as a pro.

Look, we understand bad picks happen. But McDaniels traded a 2010 first-round pick to Seattle to take Smith No. 37 overall. (The traded pick turned into the No. 14 selection; Seattle took Earl Thomas.) If you are going to gamble that big on an undersized cornerback, you better be right.

Smith's possible release points out just how hard it is to judge college talent. The Broncos took cornerbacks Perrish Cox and Thompson in the fifth and seventh-round respectively in 2010. They both look like long-term keepers.

Smith, essentially taken with a first-round pick, may be one and done.

2. The Following 12 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

speculation. He is not one and done. I guarantee he makes the team.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    How many CB's do you think the Broncs keep?

I expect an injury to occur......IR
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

7. The Following User High Fived rcsodak For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Unfortunately, that looks like the situation, Turf. I was not happy with the
    selection back then, and, if anything, I have soured even more on it. Just think
    what the Broncos could have done this year with three first-rounders . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

9. The Following 9 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I agree and I don't think Turf would disagree that's it's speculative. However, I don't think it would be shocking if Smith was sent packing. Imho Cox and Thompson have done more to make a case for them to make the team than Smith has.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 08-31-2010 at 01:19 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Whatever. I just dont want him to make the team at the expense of someone more deserving.

Thompson should be a lock though. He's an awesome returner.

13. The Following 5 Users High Fived Sconnie Bronco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    How many CB's do you think the Broncs keep?
    champ,goody,cox,alphonzo,nate,syd......dawk,hill,b ruton,mcbath

last year we kept, champ,goody,alhphonzo,tylaw,carter.......dawk,hill ,bruton,mcbath, barrett

so this year since carter and barret is gone, we keep 6cb and 4dbs instead of 5 dbs and 5 s.

Remember Nate jones can play S in a pinch and is also a ST guy like barrett was.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie Bronco View Post
    Whatever. I just dont want him to make the team at the expense of someone more deserving.

Thompson should be a lock though. He's an awesome returner.
    Or Cox for that matter.

Too bad. I hope he doesn't make the team as he's shown squat to date.

I'd rather McD and company admit their rookie mistake now, get Smith off the payroll and move on.

I don't see Smith helping us win and would rather see the spot occupied by someone who can.

17. The Following 8 Users High Fived red98 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Or Cox for that matter.
    I agree but the article said it was between Thompson and Smith. Sorry, but thats a no-brainer.

Thompson is absolutely electric on punts. Im very excited about Thompson and would be furious if they cut him and keep Smith.

I think Josh would acquit himself better if he keeps a 7th rounder who is better and admit he made a mistake by cutting Smith...if it comes down to that. If they keep Smith, he will be compounding his original mistake with another one and will be criticized for both. I say this assuming Thompson will be good on returns. Ive never been more impressed with anyone we've had returning other than maybe Gordon. I feel that way about Cox too. Not even Hixon was this impressive and he went on to do good things with the Giants.

19. The Following 8 Users High Fived Sconnie Bronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by red98 View Post
    Too bad. I hope he doesn't make the team as he's shown squat to date.

I'd rather McD and company admit their rookie mistake now, get Smith off the payroll and move on.

I don't see Smith helping us win and would rather see the spot occupied by someone who can.
    I feel for the Phonz. I really do. I wanted to be wrong about him in the worst
    way. But, alas, it appears at this point you may be right . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

21. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I agree and I don't think Turf would disagree that's it's speculative. However, I don't think it would be shocking if Smith was sent packing. Imho Cox and Thompson have done more to make a case for them make the team than Smith has.
    This is true.

23. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

I don't see Smith willing to "fake" and injury and go on IR when he can be cut and try to earn a spot on another team. Would be the dumbest thing for him to do.

I don't see the sense in keeping him at his point. No matter what, the chances of him every justifying using that first round pick on him, at this point, is pretty damned hard to do. For him, it would be better to move on where he is looked upon by fans as a signed FA instead of a busted 1st round pick. Lot less pressure.

As for the coaching staff here... would be better to cut him loose now. I don't think they will ever be able to 'defend' teh pick any more, and it may be better just to move on and forward and accept the big mistake.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

25. The Following 7 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    As for the coaching staff here... would be better to cut him loose now. I don't think they will ever be able to 'defend' teh pick any more, and it may be better just to move on and forward and accept the big mistake.
    I agree. They might even earn some respect for in essence admitting that this guy is a stiff and being done with it. If they cling to him at the expense of a more valuable and deserving player it will only look self serving and defensive at this point
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

27. The Following 6 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information