Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Alphonso Smith could be one and done in Denver

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    let me say first, that I am not a smith lover and could care less if we keep him or dont.....

But imo it would be monumentally stupid to cut him loose now. Just think about it. We often times see teams go 4-5 wide. And we will see it a lot. As more and more teams are going pass heavy.

So we have champ, goody, nate, cox---do you really want syd to be the 5th guy out there. Or what if someone goes down, do you really want syd to be who we are going to rely on??

Answer this honestly as if you were a coach. I know I sure as hell wouldnt. What has syd done at CB, not on KR, but at CB? Yes he had the pick 6. On a gift that the qb threw right to him all alone. It was a nice play and I do not want to discount it....But has anyone actually ever looked at his coverage plays, vs alphonso smiths?

THe last two games I have watched the fonz only on D. I am not all that impressed, but he is quick and he has for the most part blanketed his wr. Have you noticed why the qb was not ever throwing at smith. Because he had his guy locked up. I have yet to re watch syd, but I do not think we can accurately judge his coverage ability by 1 game against backups.

I am just trying to be open minded about this. But to me nothing warrants keeping syd over phonz in the CB dept. Just his ST play. Which does warrant it. But we also have royla, willis, cox who can do it too. So with all that said, I still think syd makes the squad, but I also think that phonz makes it too and is listed higher on the depth chart. I mean wouldnt it make sense, if you were a coach?
    Smith cant tackle so whether a team goes 5 wide or not is still a problem for Denver regardless. You can always sign another guy who can at least tackle.

2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Too bad! He did a great job at WF! Just goes to show you that some players don't pan out in the NFL no matter how good in college!! I'm sure McDaniels is learning from his rookie mistakes!!

4. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Too bad! He did a great job at WF! Just goes to show you that some players don't pan out in the NFL no matter how good in college!! I'm sure McDaniels is learning from his rookie mistakes!!
    If he knows when to cut his losses he is learning. If he chooses Smith over any other DB we have he is a moron.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    If he knows when to cut his losses he is learning. If he chooses Smith over any other DB we have he is a moron.
    We'll see after Sunday or is the Vikings game Sat?? But you're right!! Progress over Pride!

8. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

I still dont see any other cbs not making the roster that we want too....

Who else would you guys like to see make the team at DB?, more specifically CB?

I cant think of anyone, so as it stands phonzie still makes the team along with everyone else, and phonz is higher on the DC than syd.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I cant think of anyone, so as it stands phonzie still makes the team along with everyone else, and phonz is higher on the DC than syd.
    I think that will change. As already pointed out Syd brings more to the table than Smith at this point.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

So we have champ, goody, nate, cox---do you really want syd to be the 5th guy out there. Or what if someone goes down, do you really want syd to be who we are going to rely on??

Answer this honestly as if you were a coach. I know I sure as hell wouldnt. What has syd done at CB, not on KR, but at CB? Yes he had the pick 6. On a gift that the qb threw right to him all alone. It was a nice play and I do not want to discount it....But has anyone actually ever looked at his coverage plays, vs alphonso smiths?

THe last two games I have watched the fonz only on D. I am not all that impressed, but he is quick and he has for the most part blanketed his wr. Have you noticed why the qb was not ever throwing at smith. Because he had his guy locked up. I have yet to re watch syd, but I do not think we can accurately judge his coverage ability by 1 game against backups.

I am just trying to be open minded about this. But to me nothing warrants keeping syd over phonz in the CB dept. Just his ST play. Which does warrant it. But we also have royla, willis, cox who can do it too. So with all that said, I still think syd makes the squad, but I also think that phonz makes it too and is listed higher on the depth chart. I mean wouldnt it make sense, if you were a coach?
    Seriously Under I would trust Syd and Cassius Vaughn over Smith. I just haven't been that impressed with what he has done when has been in there.

Yes sometimes teams will go 5 wide but how often?

13. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Seriously Under I would trust Syd and Cassius Vaughn over Smith. I just haven't been that impressed with what he has done when has been in there.

Yes sometimes teams will go 5 wide but how often?
    Not only that but a 5th wideout vs Smith or even Syd at this point is a wash. There really isnt going to be a 5th wideout who will burn Syd with the speed he has. Oh, and he can tackle.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

McDaniels isn't learning from his mistakes, he took two project players in the first round this year and he's still looking for character over talent.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    McDaniels isn't learning from his mistakes, he took two project players in the first round this year and he's still looking for character over talent.
    Meh, all coaches will take risks and im all for giving Tebow and Thomas a chance to prove themselves. But Smith has had a year and 3 preseason games to show his worth and not only is being outplayed by rookies but other DB's from last year are already starting and contributing to their respective teams. Oh, and they can tackle.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Im telling you guys he makes the team and so do all the other cbs, cept vaugh, he is PS.

But I guess we shall see in about what, week and a half?
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Not only that but a 5th wideout vs Smith or even Syd at this point is a wash. There really isnt going to be a 5th wideout who will burn Syd with the speed he has. Oh, and he can tackle.
    Exactly and what I think push him ahead is that fact he can also return punts and kicks.

22. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

champ,goody,cox,alphonzo,nate,syd......dawk,hill,b ruton,mcbath

last year we kept, champ,goody,alhphonzo,tylaw,carter.......dawk,hill ,bruton,mcbath, barrett

so this year since carter and barret is gone, we keep 6cb and 4dbs instead of 5 dbs and 5 s.

Remember Nate jones can play S in a pinch and is also a ST guy like barrett was.
    that's fine if you're right-- but i'm going to be pissed if we cut cox or thompson for phonse. . . those guys have already done way more than him in limited opportunities to show that they can make plays. . . we've needed a legit return man forever-- cox also looks like a keeper at corner, and syd has plenty of potential there. . . if anything, they seriously need to cut nate "no upside" jones before either of those kids. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

24. The Following 7 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Default Well . . .

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    I don't consider Thomas a project player. All reports came back that, when he
    was practicing, he was like a man among boys out there. He impressed Champ.
    You know, All-World Champ.

I'm not sure I agree with the selection of Tebow, but not because he is a
    "project." He was selected because he has what some perceive as superstar
    qualities, so I can see the logic in that. If he does turn out as the Broncos FO
    thinks he can, then he will have been worth every bit of his first-round selection.
    So I don't necessarily disagree - I'm just on the fence a bit.

But between last year's and this year's first-day selections, the only one that
    still sticks in my craw is that of Alphonso Smith. (Well, I'm not enamored by
    that of Richard Quinn, but if he turns out to be as devastating a blocker as
    they think, he might be worth it.)

The first-day selections I like best are Ayers, Thomas, and Beadles. Generally,
    I personally like the first-day selections, so far . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    that's fine if you're right-- but i'm going to be pissed if we cut cox or thompson for phonse. . . those guys have already done way more than him in limited opportunities to show that they can make plays. . . we've needed a legit return man forever-- cox also looks like a keeper at corner, and syd has plenty of potential there. . . if anything, they seriously need to cut nate "no upside" jones before either of those kids. . .
    Thats the only thing that worries me. Nomad touched on it if McD keeps him out of pride and we lose one of the other guys i will not be a happy camper. If people think im a poo poo'er now just wait if they cut Syd or Cox in place of Smith. lol

27. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information