Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Alphonso Smith could be one and done in Denver

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Smith has character. Thats what we payed for guys.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

let me say first, that I am not a smith lover and could care less if we keep him or dont.....

But imo it would be monumentally stupid to cut him loose now. Just think about it. We often times see teams go 4-5 wide. And we will see it a lot. As more and more teams are going pass heavy.

So we have champ, goody, nate, cox---do you really want syd to be the 5th guy out there. Or what if someone goes down, do you really want syd to be who we are going to rely on??

Answer this honestly as if you were a coach. I know I sure as hell wouldnt. What has syd done at CB, not on KR, but at CB? Yes he had the pick 6. On a gift that the qb threw right to him all alone. It was a nice play and I do not want to discount it....But has anyone actually ever looked at his coverage plays, vs alphonso smiths?

THe last two games I have watched the fonz only on D. I am not all that impressed, but he is quick and he has for the most part blanketed his wr. Have you noticed why the qb was not ever throwing at smith. Because he had his guy locked up. I have yet to re watch syd, but I do not think we can accurately judge his coverage ability by 1 game against backups.

I am just trying to be open minded about this. But to me nothing warrants keeping syd over phonz in the CB dept. Just his ST play. Which does warrant it. But we also have royla, willis, cox who can do it too. So with all that said, I still think syd makes the squad, but I also think that phonz makes it too and is listed higher on the depth chart. I mean wouldnt it make sense, if you were a coach?
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

McDaniels would look like to much of a moron if he dumped Smith and he became good. We grumble with smith on the team, but would raise hell if he was cut and became a starter elsewhere.

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

They will not activate more than 4 CB's a game, so if you want Smith as injury protection or keep him around to see if he will develop, fine. Syd'Quan would provide both KR depth and CB depth, he is more versatile.

Well McDaniels didn't know how to draft back then and he still doesn't, so no surprise. But Smith should make the team.

At least give him one more year. Why the hell do we want Nate Jones? No upside.

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    Well McDaniels didn't know how to draft back then and he still doesn't, so no surprise. But Smith should make the team.

At least give him one more year. Why the hell do we want Nate Jones? No upside.
    Because he can play safety, CB, and plays special teams well. Phonso sucks at ST and hasn't shown much at CB.

10. The Following User High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Wasnt Smith taken to return kicks as well????

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived claymore For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    Because he can play safety, CB, and plays special teams well. Phonso sucks at ST and hasn't shown much at CB.
    He can play them, just not well.

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Yes, and he sucks at that too.

14. The Following User High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Yes.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    He can play them, just not well.

Yes, and he sucks at that too.
    Hahaha LOL.

Just think of what we could have had with the 14th overall this year.

Josh was like a kid in a candy store last year during the draft. Oh, how is Richard Quinn doing also?

18. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Unfortunately, that looks like the situation, Turf. I was not happy with the
    selection back then, and, if anything, I have soured even more on it. Just think
    what the Broncos could have done this year with three first-rounders . . .

-----
    hell the way Josh was slinging trades around might have been 4 first rounders

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Just think of what we could have had with the 14th overall this year.

Josh was like a kid in a candy store last year during the draft. Oh, how is Richard Quinn doing also?
    Is he injuried because I don't think he's played a single down this preseason?

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    let me say first, that I am not a smith lover and could care less if we keep him or dont.....

But imo it would be monumentally stupid to cut him loose now. Just think about it. We often times see teams go 4-5 wide. And we will see it a lot. As more and more teams are going pass heavy.

So we have champ, goody, nate, cox---do you really want syd to be the 5th guy out there. Or what if someone goes down, do you really want syd to be who we are going to rely on??

Answer this honestly as if you were a coach. I know I sure as hell wouldnt. What has syd done at CB, not on KR, but at CB? Yes he had the pick 6. On a gift that the qb threw right to him all alone. It was a nice play and I do not want to discount it....But has anyone actually ever looked at his coverage plays, vs alphonso smiths?

THe last two games I have watched the fonz only on D. I am not all that impressed, but he is quick and he has for the most part blanketed his wr. Have you noticed why the qb was not ever throwing at smith. Because he had his guy locked up. I have yet to re watch syd, but I do not think we can accurately judge his coverage ability by 1 game against backups.

I am just trying to be open minded about this. But to me nothing warrants keeping syd over phonz in the CB dept. Just his ST play. Which does warrant it. But we also have royla, willis, cox who can do it too. So with all that said, I still think syd makes the squad, but I also think that phonz makes it too and is listed higher on the depth chart. I mean wouldnt it make sense, if you were a coach?

As we have seen time and time again CB wind up with Ham strings, ankles or concussions all the time.

mikey used to say you can never have enough RBs, Cbs or LBs he was wise in that regard. I suspect that thompson will wind up PS. and then recalled if no one steps up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Alphonso Smith could be one and done in Denver
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 31, 2010 12:31 PM ET
    Josh McDaniels made a few questionable decisions during his desultory first draft as Broncos head coach, but none looks worse than the decision to trade a first-round pick for cornerback Alphonso Smith.

The draft class has time to turn it around, but Smith may not. One year later, Dave Krieger of the Denver Post writes that Smith may not even make the team.

At this point, Smith appears to be battling rookie seventh-round pick Syd'Quan Thompson for the ninth and possibly final defensive back roster spot. Thompson is coming off a preseason performance that showed more promise than anything Smith has done as a pro.

Look, we understand bad picks happen. But McDaniels traded a 2010 first-round pick to Seattle to take Smith No. 37 overall. (The traded pick turned into the No. 14 selection; Seattle took Earl Thomas.) If you are going to gamble that big on an undersized cornerback, you better be right.

Smith's possible release points out just how hard it is to judge college talent. The Broncos took cornerbacks Perrish Cox and Thompson in the fifth and seventh-round respectively in 2010. They both look like long-term keepers.

Smith, essentially taken with a first-round pick, may be one and done.
    Yep. I pointed to this the other night.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information