Thread: Xbox Live - Fee Increase

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Xbox Live - Fee Increase

Xbox Live Gets a Price Hike
    Your online gaming on Xbox is about to get more expensive.
    August 30, 2010
    by Erik Brudvig
    IGN

Microsoft has announced that as of November 1, 2010, the price for Xbox Live Gold will go up in Canada, the US, United Kingdom and Mexico. The annual fee will go up by $10 in the United States, with one and three month subscriptions also going up in price.

Starting November 1, a one month subscription in the US will cost $9.99 and a three month subscription will carry a price tag of $24.99. These are increases of $2 and $5 respectively. In the UK, a one month subscription will go up by 1 GBP to 5.99. Canadian and Mexican one month subscriptions will go up by $1 CAD and 100 Pesos each to $9.99 and 599 Pesos. All other subscription packages will have the same prices.

In a posting, Microsoft spokesperson Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb explained the hike:

"Since launching Xbox LIVE in 2002 we have continually added more content and entertainment experiences for our members, while keeping the price the same. We're confident that when the new pricing takes effect, an Xbox LIVE Gold membership will continue to offer the best value in the industry.

However, we do want to thank our loyal members and give you the opportunity to lock in your current price with an additional discount, so now would be a good time to renew your subscription."

Analyst Jesse Divinich of EEDAR believes this price increase will not have a major effect of Microsoft's momentum or subscription base, saying that, "EEDAR believes the fee increase will do little to impact the positive momentum of the Xbox 360," and that given the service improvements through the year, "it comes as no surprise that Microsoft would eventually increase the price of a Gold subscription by a moderate amount."

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/111/1116845p1.html
    I don't see this as a real detriment, as Xbox still has a large online installed base and a ton of features, and it still comes out to about $5 a month when paid in full. I think Sony will eventually follow suit with a fee. Their 'premium' online service, by putting more features and apps into it forcing users to pay up similar to Xbox LIVE. I think Sony's premium is an experiment to see who pays... similar to the PSP Go experiment was to see how download-only media would fare... and that failed miserably. Just as Activision is considering paying tp play CoD.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

599 pesos a month? Isn't that like $50 a month? No wonder Mexicans are so poor.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    599 pesos a month? Isn't that like $50 a month? No wonder Mexicans are so poor.
    It's 599 pesos for the year sneak. At the current exchange rate, 13 to the dollar...it's about 46 bucks.

I still renew with my Amex online and will pay the 49.99 in October. Mexicans are getting off easy.

5. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Love my PS3.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

PC snob.

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    PC snob.
    The cartoon is funny and on topic. That being said, I'd like to see Microsoft's operating costs to justify this rate increase. However I'm willing to bet that their user-base has required the hiring of more mod staff to deal with hackers and exploiters.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

However I'm willing to bet that their user-base has required the hiring of more mod staff to deal with hackers and exploiters.
    Excellent point.

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

I have no problem paying a little more. Being able to stream Netflix on my Xbox is worth it alone.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived honz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information