Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Scheffler returns to Invesco, as a Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Agreed 100%. Another case of McDanielos screwing the pooch, after which it becomes important for some reason to pretend that Scheffler had a bad attitude. Or wasn't that good anyways. Or is injury prone. Or isn't a Team player. Whatever the excuse du jour is.

Frankly, even if McDaniels wanted a new TE and had no plans for Scheffler himself he still bungled the deal. He drove down Scheffler's trade value with his own public antics and badmouthing, thereby hurting his own team for no other purpose than to gratify his own ego. It was a ridiculous display.
    YEs just like he did with jay and bm for both of which he got good value. Do not recall what we got for TS but if it was more than a ham and swiss on rye it was worth it.

The guy quit on the team, before the season was over and just because you like the guy does not revise that history.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    YEs just like he did with jay and bm for both of which he got good value. Do not recall what we got for TS but if it was more than a ham and swiss on rye it was worth it.

The guy quit on the team, before the season was over and just because you like the guy does not revise that history.
    Good point, he brought in a pretty good haul for both of them and if anything you could argue that he drove their value down much more than Scheffler's from the way he acted with them prior to the trades. If anything it shows just how much other teams think of Scheff's talents as compared to the other two and how some Broncos fans are kinda overrating how good he is.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bobby Humphrey

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    hell he may not even play since it is a meaningless game.

WHoop I forgot he only no shows when the playoffs are on the line.
    Jrwiz

Hey Scheff....

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    Yeah, guy. And tell me Mr. Watson was not the most underutilized tight end in the league for his whole career. Most other teams would make feed him the ball enough to make Antonio Gates green with envy. Like I said, McD, like his master Bill B., doesn't like pass catching tight ends, he doesn't use them to his advantage. it's a fact.
    Let's put this to the fact test and examine their performances under their respective coaches, shall we?

Ben Watson: 136 catches / 4 seasons = 34 catches per year average.

Tony Scheffler: 107 catches / 3 seasons = 35.6 catches per year average

Yes, that whole two more (if you round up) catches per year CLEARLY illustrates that Josh McDaniels is pass catching tight end hating Nazi, while Mike Shanahan is a gift bestowed upon them by the football Gods themselves.

Oh...

/THREAD

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Frau's pet peeve: When people attempt to use stats to prove their point, but don't use applicable or appropriate ones.

Especially when if they used the right ones, they'd likely prove their point more conclusively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    Frau's pet peeve: When people attempt to use stats to prove their point, but don't use applicable or appropriate ones.

Especially when if they used the right ones, they'd likely prove their point more conclusively.
    If that was directed at me, by all means feel free to correct it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    If that was directed at me, by all means feel free to correct it.
    I don't have the time at the moment to look up all receptions & times targeted for all tight ends under each coach for a similar time frame. Comparing only two tight ends under different time frames, including one's rookie season but not another's gives an incomplete picture of each coach's attitude towards using tight ends in the receiving game.

I can try to look this up later tonight or tomorrow as now I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    I don't have the time at the moment to look up all receptions & times targeted for all tight ends under each coach for a similar time frame.
    Those stats that list "targets" are a bit ambiguous since they are not an official NFL tracked statistic. None the less, I did find this one, along with a couple interesting tidbits.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playe...=TE&season=reg

- According to this site, Watson was the 10th most targeted tight end in 2006. No Bronco made the list, which only goes to 25.

- Scheffler was targeted more in 2007, but only marginally (67 vs 54) and if you adjust for games played, Watson actually comes out on top with 4.5 targets per game to Scheffler's 4.2.

- 2008 is inconclusive because they failed to have Watson listed. I even sorted it by receptions and Watson was not listed even though players with less catches were included.

Comparing only two tight ends under different time frames, including one's rookie season but not another's gives an incomplete picture of each coach's attitude towards using tight ends in the receiving game.
    I didn't include Watson's rookie season because A) He was on IR for all but one game and B) Josh McDaniels was not running the offense in 2004. Therefore, it can't be used to in the sample size to draw conclusions about his use of receiving tight ends.
    Last edited by Bosco; 08-22-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: forgot link

11. The Following User High Fived Bosco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    I love how when someone sees a post they agree with they post "/thread" like their opinion is somehow the be-all end-all!

Especially when the post quoted is full of nothing but speculation from one of the most anti-McD posters on this board.
    I love how when someone tries to denigrate another's opinion because they don't agree with it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Let's put this to the fact test and examine their performances under their respective coaches, shall we?

Ben Watson: 136 catches / 4 seasons = 34 catches per year average.

Tony Scheffler: 107 catches / 3 seasons = 35.6 catches per year average

Yes, that whole two more (if you round up) catches per year CLEARLY illustrates that Josh McDaniels is pass catching tight end hating Nazi, while Mike Shanahan is a gift bestowed upon them by the football Gods themselves.

Oh...

/THREAD
    Comparing apples and oranges son.

As much as I like Scheffler, Watson is twice the talent, and should be a franchise player on whatever team he is on. and if it weren't for his injuries, Mr. Scheffler would have been used much much more in the Shanahan led offense. Thanks for playing.

As much as I like Scheffler, Watson is twice the talent, and should be a franchise player on whatever team he is on. and if it weren't for his injuries, Mr. Scheffler would have been used much much more in the Shanahan led offense. Thanks for playing.
    Ben Watson a FRANCHISE player ?? Ha Ha. Ha Ha Ha.... Put down the pipe, Beavis and stop being a hater.
    "It's all in the reflexes."

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by MileHiWildcat View Post
    Ben Watson a FRANCHISE player ?? Ha Ha. Ha Ha Ha.... Put down the pipe, Beavis and stop being a hater.
    Who's the hater?

How?

The talent gap between Watson and Scheffler is not that large. Watson is faster, but they both have elite speed for tight ends and they're also both about equal as blockers (barely adequate).

The injury line is absolutely laughable as well. Watson has missed significantly more time to injury than Scheffler ever has. Despite that and the fact that Scheffler played in an offense which has historically placed the TE higher on the progressions, Watson has put up nearly identical performances under Josh McDaniels.

It is interesting to hear that TS got a bums welcome when he made plays and that he was concerned about it enough to talk to lombardi about it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

The MAN!! Good luck buddy.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information