Page 751 of 1171 FirstFirst ... 251 651 701 741 749 750 751 752 753 761 801 851 ... LastLast
Results 11,251 to 11,265 of 17560

Thread: Last movie you saw - and rate it

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Signs? How did it remind you of that? Was it when Amy Adams smashed the alien's head in with a bat?
    Lol, no. But the whole concept of visions from the future thing with her daughter with the pictures, clay figures and what not reminded me of the scenario with Gibson's late wife. Like i said, cool concept but all i could think about in the end was how similar it was to Signs because of all the conclusions Adams character started to realize about her daughter and the connection with the aliens.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Lol, no. But the whole concept of visions from the future thing with her daughter with the pictures, clay figures and what not reminded me of the scenario with Gibson's late wife. Like i said, cool concept but all i could think about in the end was how similar it was to Signs because of all the conclusions Adams character started to realize about her daughter and the connection with the aliens.
    Oh, Ok gotcha. Fate, Destiny, "Time is a flat circle", and all that!

3. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

arrival was kind of a let down. Thought the book was much better, BOOK SPOILER (in the book the aliens offer each nation parts to build a interstellar spaceship to unite humanity.)

SPOILER; (they changed the ending in the film to the stupid phone call.)

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I just got corrected on something (on FB by another comic fan) as im surprised Shake didnt correct me on it as he did with the Suicide Squad impression i got. Black Panther was not in Dr. Strange as i thought that was the same actor from Civil War but it turns out its a different actor and character altogether. Like my other mishap from Civil War its too bad because i thought it would of been a cool tie in with the movie. Whoooops.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Crash - 9/10

This was on TV last night and I vaguely recalled it being good (didn't it win best picture?), and the GF hadn't seen it, so we watched... I forgot what a powerful movie this is. I also didn't realize that it's ~13 years old? I'd kind of forgotten about it.

Having been in the unforgiving rat race for a number of years now, this movie resonated with me much more than I remember from watching it back when I was in college. If there is any critique of the movie itself, it's that maybe the plot line is a little outlandish at times, but man - I was fighting back tears throughout... There are so many takeaways, but essentially the moral of the movie is that anger begets anger and at some point empathy and kindness is needed to break the vicious cycle.

I think everyone should watch this movie once with an open heart and open mind. /hippie post.
    Wow, I may need to rewatch that. I remember a very different movie that I hated for some reason. I did the same thing with A.I. by Spielberg. Hated the movie when I saw it and revisited it a few years ago and it hit me in a completely different way.
    I hated Crash. Never understood why it was so acclaimed.

I agree with the message. Thought it was a good idea. But the story-line/plot/execution was horrid. It's been 13 years, but I remember feeling that most of the characters were unbelievable caricatures rather than real people that I could actually empathize with. Then, these caricatures are placed in some scenarios that really stretched belief.

Meh/10. But maybe I should watch it again.

7. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post

I agree with the message. Thought it was a good idea. But the story-line/plot/execution was horrid. It's been 13 years, but I remember feeling that most of the characters were unbelievable caricatures rather than real people that I could actually empathize with. Then, these caricatures are placed in some scenarios that really stretched belief.

If there is a critique, you have hit on it... They try to cover so much ground with so many characters in so many different scenarios that it feels a little outlandish at times.

For whatever reason this time the execution didn't bother me at all and the emotions they were trying to elicit really hit the mark. I found myself empathizing with the characters - especially the way they really try to show the spectrum of good vs evil that everyone operates on - everybody has a good side and everyone has a bad side. I thought the movie does an amazing job of illustrating how easy it is to see the bad in everything if you're not actively trying to do the opposite.

I think you should give it another chance.

9. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post

This is my memory of the movie as well. It felt like a commercial or music video for equality and compassion and everything was a little too convenient in how it unfolded. I actually have it cued up for the weekend so I will see if I feel differently.

Magnificent 7- 4/10

Really disappointed with the whole thing. It was nothing more than an unrealistic blood bath. The directing sucked. I had high hopes for this with the cast involved, but was disappointed throughout

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Passengers. 6/10

Well made, feel good Sci-fi with decent moments of tension

I took two of my girls and they loved it

I thought it was above average

Hardcore Henry - WTF did I just watch but I think I liked it/10
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Wow, I may need to rewatch that. I remember a very different movie that I hated for some reason. I did the same thing with A.I. by Spielberg. Hated the movie when I saw it and revisited it a few years ago and it hit me in a completely different way.
    Ok I watched it again.

Crash 6/10

I gave it another shot but I still have the same issues I did before. The movie panders to the viewer and practically beats you over the head with it's message. The director is a great screenwriter (that same year he penned Million Dollar Baby) but there is more to a good story than a forced string of "coincidences". Matt Dillion is the lone standout to me which is a shame because the ensemble cast should have been the greatest strength. I think the biggest problem is that the movie tried to wrap up issues of race and prejudice into a neat little 2 hour movie and it ends up feeling more like a TV show at times.

You can tell director Paul Haggis wanted to present us with racial stereotypes and then subvert them, but at this point the movie is more of a social experiment than anything with meaning to it other than what the viewer wants it to be. I think that may be the underrated brilliance of this film. I think it affects people in different ways on an emotional level and probably why it was so divisive when it won best picture over movies like Capote and Good Night and Good Luck. The movie does add some gray areas to race relations, but in the end it wants so badly to tie everything together that it stumbles to the finish. I still enjoyed watching it again on some level, but I just didn't let the movie in to my heart I guess because my head was always so caught up in the idea of this forced destiny the movie laid out.

Still this movie has some strong performances and a good script, but my overall reaction hasn't changed since the first time I saw it.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Hardcore Henry - WTF did I just watch but I think I liked it/10
    I'd love to see that movie with VR Goggles.

17. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Ok I watched it again.

Crash 6/10

I gave it another shot but I still have the same issues I did before. The movie panders to the viewer and practically beats you over the head with it's message. The director is a great screenwriter (that same year he penned Million Dollar Baby) but there is more to a good story than a forced string of "coincidences". Matt Dillion is the lone standout to me which is a shame because the ensemble cast should have been the greatest strength. I think the biggest problem is that the movie tried to wrap up issues of race and prejudice into a neat little 2 hour movie and it ends up feeling more like a TV show at times.

You can tell director Paul Haggis wanted to present us with racial stereotypes and then subvert them, but at this point the movie is more of a social experiment than anything with meaning to it other than what the viewer wants it to be. I think that may be the underrated brilliance of this film. I think it affects people in different ways on an emotional level and probably why it was so divisive when it won best picture over movies like Capote and Good Night and Good Luck. The movie does add some gray areas to race relations, but in the end it wants so badly to tie everything together that it stumbles to the finish. I still enjoyed watching it again on some level, but I just didn't let the movie in to my heart I guess because my head was always so caught up in the idea of this forced destiny the movie laid out.

Still this movie has some strong performances and a good script, but my overall reaction hasn't changed since the first time I saw it.
    The only critique I'd have of your review is that people can watch films like Star Wars or Batman and totally suspend disbelief - but when it comes to something more "realistic" it almost gets held to a higher standard IMO. Like, for me, I think you sort of have to accept that this script is a little bit surreal and maybe goes too far in trying to beat users over the head with this "crash" idea, but that doesn't detract from the overall message for me.

I think that you can acknowledge that it goes too far in tying everything together while still appreciating the emotional spectrum that they try to show in each character. But I can also see where that might be too much of a hurdle for some.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    The only critique I'd have of your review is that people can watch films like Star Wars or Batman and totally suspend disbelief - but when it comes to something more "realistic" it almost gets held to a higher standard IMO. Like, for me, I think you sort of have to accept that this script is a little bit surreal and maybe goes too far in trying to beat users over the head with this "crash" idea, but that doesn't detract from the overall message for me.

I think that you can acknowledge that it goes too far in tying everything together while still appreciating the emotional spectrum that they try to show in each character. But I can also see where that might be too much of a hurdle for some.
    I really liked Crash at the time. I might have to rewatch and join in this debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

21. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I really liked Crash at the time. I might have to rewatch and join in this debate.
    Don't bother, just join in and espouse nonsense from memory. Like this....

Crash was good, but Matt Dillon was such a racist. Too cliche for me.

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information