Page 955 of 1171 FirstFirst ... 455 855 905 945 953 954 955 956 957 965 1005 1055 ... LastLast
Results 14,311 to 14,325 of 17559

Thread: Last movie you saw - and rate it

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    All the Oscars are lobbied for and bought and paid for and just a way for Hollywood to pat itself on the back. I can list three travesties of Best Picture winners off the top of my head:

1. Forrest Gump over Shawshank Redemption AND PULP FICTION?
    2. Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan?
    3. The Lord of The Rings: Return of the King. Not because it is a bad movie, but it felt like an "achievement" award for Peter Jackson when the Two Towers was the best of that trilogy. Plus Master and Commander or Lost in Translation could've easily won that year and probably should've.

Honorable mention goes to Crash winning anything. That after-school special of a movie still pisses me off to this day.

The Academy adding films like Black Panther is a desperate claw and scrape to get younger people to watch their 3 hour circle jerk. If they truly wanted to include popular movies as Best Picture contenders, then Star Wars should've never lost to Annie ******* Hall.

Shit I think I just had a therapy session with myself. My hatred of the Oscars can be traced back to Annie Hall.
    Gump is an incredible movie. I would have preferred SSR, personally. I don't think it's egregious to go with Gump, though.

Saving Private Ryan was the better choice.

LoTR RotK was a 'oh god we ****** up' do over. Like when the refs blow a call and then penalize the other team on the next snap or two. No one cares about Master and Commander. LiT was a legitimate choice.

The Academy Award adding films like Black Panther is an adaption to reality. Strange for a Star Wars fan to poo-poo super hero and sci-fi flicks. These movies have been massive hits for ten years now. The stories and acting in those films are often top notch. I just googled the winners of these awards. What makes Gladiator better than The Black Panther? So many of these winning movies are supposed to be inspiring and uplifting and have a message. Is Black Panther's message of not walling yourself off when others are hurtful and hostile, just so you can try to help others not as useful as some of these winning movies? It's the acting? Because these movies are somehow devoid of charm, skill, and heart? Earlier Abe referred to these films as derivatives. How many war movies/military movies have won? Or thrillers. Because at this point the superhero genre is vast enough for that to be a comparison.

I have no issue with snobbery if the snobbery is well-founded. Shake, as the man I look to for my Star Wars nerdery, I'm disappointed in you.

F-

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dewayne Robertson

Long time since I was on the forum . But ...last movie seen was "they shall not Grow old" about WW1. By Peter Jackson. Documentary but incredible
    massaging of the old Film , including colorizing and adding sound, cleaning up and stabilizing to modern film standards. Recommended if you are a history buff...or even not.
    10-6, 2-14. 8-8 and Now 11-6
    I'm In it for the LONG Haul!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    This is the worst review ever.
    No. I’m pretty sure it’s the best.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Good Grief. Are people somewhere still even mildly impressed with Crash?

That movie is terrible.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Good Grief. Are people somewhere still even mildly impressed with Crash?

That movie is terrible.
    Lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Gump is an incredible movie. I would have preferred SSR, personally. I don't think it's egregious to go with Gump, though.

Saving Private Ryan was the better choice.

LoTR RotK was a 'oh god we ****** up' do over. Like when the refs blow a call and then penalize the other team on the next snap or two. No one cares about Master and Commander. LiT was a legitimate choice.

The Academy Award adding films like Black Panther is an adaption to reality. Strange for a Star Wars fan to poo-poo super hero and sci-fi flicks. These movies have been massive hits for ten years now. The stories and acting in those films are often top notch. I just googled the winners of these awards. What makes Gladiator better than The Black Panther? So many of these winning movies are supposed to be inspiring and uplifting and have a message. Is Black Panther's message of not walling yourself off when others are hurtful and hostile, just so you can try to help others not as useful as some of these winning movies? It's the acting? Because these movies are somehow devoid of charm, skill, and heart? Earlier Abe referred to these films as derivatives. How many war movies/military movies have won? Or thrillers. Because at this point the superhero genre is vast enough for that to be a comparison.

I have no issue with snobbery if the snobbery is well-founded. Shake, as the man I look to for my Star Wars nerdery, I'm disappointed in you.

F-

My point is the time for Star Wars to win came and passed in 1980 withe the ******* Empire Strikes Back. At this point the Oscars are disregarding their OWN history of snobbery and trying to bring pop success movies like Black Panther into the fold to increase ratings with a younger audience they are quickly losing. That's like ignoring the nerdy girl in high school then running into her years later after she blossomed and trying desperately to get her attention at the bar by quoting The Big Bang Theory and flexing your weak geek cred as you dread going home to your one bedroom apartment that smells like old Fritos and shame.

The Oscars can take their statues and shove them up their butt. If anything, I am gatekeeping movies like Star Wars to keep their outsider status away from industry recognition which makes me a true snob. The new Disney Star Wars movies want to win an Oscar? Fine. But George Lucas was a maverick and wasn't even part of the directors guild because he wanted the first thing on screen to be "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." instead of his name like the Academy wants because if you want a trophy you got to play by the Man's rules. You want accolades? I will give you a trophy for getting styled on by MasterShake. I leave you with the thud and reverb of my mic drop and declare myself the victor here. Here is your 2019 Award from the Academy of Arts and Bitchslaps:

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Ah, so because they snubbed you the mistake should never be rectified.

Whack
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

11. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Ah, so because they snubbed you the mistake should never be rectified.

Whack
    Damn straight.

13. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Does anyone even really care about the Oscars? I couldn't give a shit either way. I can count on one hand the number of times I've tuned in to watch them, and even when that rare occasion happened it was only for a few minutes or so.

It's kind of like the HOF. It's a joke, but when I was in Canton a few years ago, I paid to get in and walk around, but still basically worthless.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Does anyone even really care about the Oscars? I couldn't give a shit either way. I can count on one hand the number of times I've tuned in to watch them, and even when that rare occasion happened it was only for a few minutes or so.

It's kind of like the HOF. It's a joke, but when I was in Canton a few years ago, I paid to get in and walk around, but still basically worthless.
    I do a little. I like movies. I find the more interesting topic to be how a year is remembered, 10, 20 years later in comparison to how the Oscars were handed out.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

I don't think too many people believe the HoF to be a joke. The oscars are fun - but I mostly only care about a few categories.

18. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Couldn't agree more. But I also don't watch a ton of movies and apparently am a simpleton for liking crash so what do I know?

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I like the "In Memoriam" category.

I hate Abe

22. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I agree with this a lot. Looking quickly at the Oscar winner list dating back to 2011 "The King's Speech (that year) is the only one i would say i can kind of agree with just because it made the list. But, then i would also say it wasnt my favorite of that particular year as Drive, HP7 part 2, Thor, Captain America, Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows" are just some of the ones i thought were better.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information