Page 817 of 1170 FirstFirst ... 317 717 767 807 815 816 817 818 819 827 867 917 ... LastLast
Results 12,241 to 12,255 of 17550

Thread: Last movie you saw - and rate it

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Wonder Boys: 8.5/10

One of my favorite movies from that strange time period of movies (the late 90's and early 2000's) when movie studios still made adult movies and dramas with a little bit of edge. This is a dark comedy about a writer and college professor (Michael Douglas) who wrote one acclaimed book seven years prior but is struggling to finish the followup. When his editor (Robert Downey Jr) comes into town for the College's annual Wordfest, this leads to a series of events over a few days that prove to be a turning point in his life. This all starts at a party at athe College Chancellor's house (played by Frances McDormond) with whom with he is having an affair, and a chance meeting with a brilliant but troubled student played by Tobey Maguire.

This movie is a bit of a slow burn punctuated by jolts of humor and strong performances all around. The movie seems directionless at times, but for some reason it remains very engaging because it is essentially a character study. On top of that, it has a great soundtrack including a song by Bob Dylan that won an Oscar the year it came out. Good recommendation for those of you looking for something a little different from what now seems a simpler time:

2. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Kong, Skull Island

Watching this tonight, will update my rating.

After so many crappy movies this year that I have been seriously disappointed in, please oh please be decent...

Edit***

I'll give it a7. Was decent, not too cheesy, pretty good for what it was, a big gorilla movie.

I don't think I'll buy it but I was entertained.
    Last edited by Rick; 10-17-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

We watched "A Dog's Purpose" the other night. It was actually really good. Funny and sad at the same time.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    We watched "A Dog's Purpose" the other night. It was actually really good. Funny and sad at the same time.
    My daughter and I went to that in the theater, we loved it.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

I actually really liked A dog's purpose.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I actually really liked A dog's purpose.
    So did Nut.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I've revisited two films that I liked the first time I saw them and I ended up liking them even more on the second viewings.

First was Hell or High Water. This movie is at least a 9.5 out of ten for me. This is a rare movie in which you end up rooting for both the bank robbers and the men chasing them. This is not a run of the mill bank robber movie, this movie is much deeper than that. The bad guys in this movie are the bankers. This is probably the best movie I've seen for a couple of years. The cast is amazing. Jeff Bridges is one of my favorite actors of all time. Ben Foster is amazing in everything he's in. He easily has my favorite line in this movie, when the big Native American Fellow tries to stand up to him and says something to the affect of "Cherokee means enemy to all" to which Foster replies "you know what that makes me?" "The enemy?" Replies the Cherokee fella. "No, it makes me Cherokee" says Foster. Just a badass line. And Chris Pine, as much as I want to hate him on account of his handsomeness, is just a flat out great actor and this is probably his best role.

The second movie is my favorite photography documentary of all time. It's called What Remains and it's a documentary about my favorite photographer of all time Sally Mann. It's a great portrait of an amazingly talented artist who I happen to be a gigantic fan of. As I watched this for the second time a somewhat interesting fact dawned on me, my three favorite photographers of all time are women (Mann, Dorthea Lange and Vivan Maier). That led me to think of other female photographers and I came to the conclusion that there aren't many female photogs whose work I don't like, while there are quite a few male photogs that I'm "meh" about. Not sure what that means.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Hell or High Water is a fantastic movie. That end scene with Bridges and Pine was awesome.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

14. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

31- 9/10

Trailer:

31 is the latest Rob Zombie production and involves a group of would be victims who are abducted by some crazed masked men to be put into a gauntlet of violent psychopaths (think a cross between Running Man, Hunger Games, and Battle Royale) for the pleasure of three wealthy people in the form of a elderly man (Malcolm McDowell) and two elderly women who announce to the group that they have 12 hours to survive being hunted down. The most notable names in the film are of course Zombie's wife Sherrie Moon Zombie, McDowell, and Meg Foster. The film also has an appearance of E.G. Daily who still looks fantastic to this day.

The main villian Doom Head (played by Richard Brake) is the one who steals the show though for me. Brake nailed the character down in every facet to which my mind was totally blown. 31 is by far superior to Zombies last flick Lords of Salem which i thought was going to knock it out of the park but fell way short. While there are certain portions of 31 that isnt new to the horror genre they are well played out by the actors themselves and at least the plot is creative enough to stand on its own. While 31 isnt necessarily scary and not "overly" gory there is quite a bit of tension with the characters.

The soundtrack is of course amazing and loaded with lots of 70's classic rock tunes (to fit the theme of the movie) and shooting style that Zombie used once again pays homage to old school horror films of that time period in the Grindhouse vibe. While i would of liked the ending to have been done a bit differently it leaves the ending open ended for a few different possibilities going forward. When it comes to film making Zombie is kind of hit or miss with me but this is definitely a hit and a worth while viewing for those who like the horror genre.

Sounds like I need to check out He’ll or High Water

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Blade Runner 2049 - 9.5/10

Went to a matinee showing at the Alamo across the street.

The movie is almost perfect. The score was outstanding--one of the best I can recall. The cinematic artscapes reminded me of a Kurosawa or even a Miyazaki--this movie was the vision of a painter's mind who was told to incorporate actors and plot because apparently they expect you to tell a story. Gosling's performance as a conflicted non-human that might or might not have a soul was spot-on. There is a lot to like here.

I wasn't a big fan of the hand-to-hand and handgun fight scenes. Nothing wrong with them, exactly. In the Matrix, the fight scenes resonated with the thematic core of the film, but in this movie they seemed at odds with the overall vibe. Scratch that--the first fist-fight (five times fast) was great and tonally pleasing. The ones later in the movie not so much. The movie had become so ethereal by that point that such vanilla mechanics cheapened it. It wasn't that the violence itself broke the mood, for example

when Luv point-blank headshots the non green-eyed Rachel
    was great.

At times the movie left me with questions like 'why didn't...' that were distracting. I'd try to solve that riddle as the movie was still unfolding and commanding new attention.

Some heavy questions are posed by the writing. What is a soul? What qualifies as life? Do memories equal existence and meaning? Is the death of a human significant on the basis of complexity of thought, and if so, when does 'artificial' intelligence gain similar significance? What is the meaning of birth?

I like those types of questions. Like the movie Arrival. The movie asked interesting questions without actually asking them.

Great show, worth seeing at the theater.
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 10-21-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Blade Runner 2049 - 9.5/10

Went to a matinee showing at the Alamo across the street.

The movie is almost perfect. The score was outstanding--one of the best I can recall. The cinematic artscapes reminded me of a Kurosawa or even a Miyazaki--this movie was the vision of a painter's mind who was told to incorporate actors and plot because apparently they expect you to tell a story. Gosling's performance as a conflicted non-human that might or might not have a soul was spot-on. There is a lot to like here.

I wasn't a big fan of the hand-to-hand and handgun fight scenes. Nothing wrong with them, exactly. In the Matrix, the fight scenes resonated with the thematic core of the film, but in this movie they seemed at odds with the overall vibe. Scratch that--the first fist-fight (five times fast) was great and tonally pleasing. The ones later in the movie not so much. The movie had become so ethereal by that point that such vanilla mechanics cheapened it. It wasn't that the violence itself broke the mood, for example

when Luv point-blank headshots the non green-eyed Rachel
    was great.

At times the movie left me with questions like 'why didn't...' that were distracting. I'd try to solve that riddle as the movie was still unfolding and commanding new attention.

Some heavy questions are posed by the writing. What is a soul? What qualifies as life? Do memories equal existence and meaning? Is the death of a human significant on the basis of complexity of thought, and if so, when does 'artificial' intelligence gain similar significance? What is the meaning of birth?

I like those types of questions. Like the movie Arrival. The movie asked interesting questions without actually asking them.

Great show, worth seeing at the theater.
    Blade Runner 2049 was the same director as Arrival, Denis Villeneuve. This movie is really showing the difference between general audiences and movie fans. It's a damn shame such a great film isn't making more money, but if the original was any indication it isn't want people what to spend three hours watching (which I can TOTALLY understand ). I loved the pace of the movie and it is probably going to be in my top 3 of the year easily.
    Last edited by MasterShake; 10-23-2017 at 12:40 PM.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I can't remember the last time a film was as universally well received as this one. I never saw the original Blade Runner, though, so I feel like I need to start there. I'm looking forward to this one.

We watched One of Us on Netflix. It's about the Hasidic Jews.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    We watched One of Us on Netflix. It's about the Hasidic Jews.
    And...?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information