Page 877 of 1171 FirstFirst ... 377 777 827 867 875 876 877 878 879 887 927 977 ... LastLast
Results 13,141 to 13,155 of 17561

Thread: Last movie you saw - and rate it

Baywatch-
    so stupid it was funny, but what would one really expect?. the Rock is pretty good in it. (not too bad on the eye either if I might add). 4 of 10

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I'm cool with the crap movie analysis.

But that is different to berating it on the grounds it is a all female reboot.
    Since you are white knighting it. What good things did it do for female kind? It's pretty much universally reviled... You say "I'm not it's target audience" Who was? Because apparently the target audience doesn't exist...It lost money, it's hot garbage. What good came about for femaledom because of that worthless reboot? How are women better off thanks to that movie?

On the flip side, as MO brought up, Wonder Woman was amazing, it had a strong female lead. It proved that a female super hero can sell.

Hollywood can make good movies without blowing up a franchise. The smart play would have been to have some of the original cast training new Ghostbusters and hey they could have some or all of them be female, instead we're just gonna gender swap them all, pretend that the other movies never happened and make a garbage movie. We'll probably never get another Ghostbusters movie thanks to that abortion. As a fan of the series, I have the right to be annoyed with that trash pile of a movie. And the thing is, I wouldn't have cared about the all female cast had they put an ounce of effort into developing the movie into something worth watching, but instead they made a movie that took sexism the other direction by showing a cast full of strong confident women (which is awesome, I have no problem there) and then portrayed all of the men as stupid pieces of meat. Every male character in that movie was weak or idiotic. Hemsworth's character only got the job because they found him attractive. Flip that around, if a man only gave a woman a job because she was hot, would that be acceptable in 2018?

I wanted badly to like it, I wanted it to be good. I love Ghostbusters and I'm fan of McCarthy, Jones and McKinnon (can't stand Wiig, but meh...) I didn't hate it out of the gate because it was women, I hated it because of what it was when it released.

They took what could have been a good movie and turned it into a poorly made political statement.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoNut View Post
    Baywatch-
    so stupid it was funny, but what would one really expect?. the Rock is pretty good in it. (not too bad on the eye either if I might add). 4 of 10
    It was stupid for sure, but it was still pretty enjoyable regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    this one is for Shane

Heck, I want to watch that one! The first one is one of my favorite movies.

Of course they can, and I am sure they will.

But the same could be said about every Batman reboot.... Why not make better original movies

this is not about me having daughters, this is just about me recognising the benefits to placing females in roles that previously have been exclusively male for all kids

I watched the new Ghostbusters, it wasn't a great movie but to denigrate it because it was all female seems like a faulty narrative..... Lots of all male movies suck, lots of movies suck.
    To an extent I agree with you. The issue with Ghostbusters is it was an extreme gimmick and I've mentioned my other issues in my other post. I don't have an issue with placing women in those roles. Like I said, Battlestar Galactica is a great example of doing it right. Ghostbusters wasn't... To be clear, I wasn't one of those fans who immediately hated the movie because "THEY MADE IT WOMENZ!!!" I went into it open minded. My disdain for it comes strictly from having the misfortune of watching it.

If Oceans is faithful to the original feel of the Oceans movies, I'll probably enjoy it. I'm just really leary of these reboots after Ghostbusters. That movie left a massively sour taste in my mouth.

I dunno...For me it has to make sense. You don't just suddenly reboot Bond as a woman. There has to be something to it that makes sense, say James Bond's daughter picking up the 007 mantle.

Doctor Who is a good example. They set it up in show that the Master ended up the Mistress. So it would make sense that the Doctor could potentially down the line end up a woman for one of his regenerations. I'm fine with that, it was setup in a way that wasn't a gimmick and actually made sense in the existing universe.

That's actually why I have some hope for Ocean's 8. It's not a straight reboot. It's Danny Ocean's sister setting up a heist. That makes sense to me. There is a reason for that and I can get behind it.

I dunno...I guess it really boils down to I'm very bitter about Ghostbusters...

Rampage

Starring - Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson

4/10

Basically I played on my phone the whole time. Fell asleep at the end.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Rampage

Starring - Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson

4/10

Basically I played on my phone the whole time. Fell asleep at the end.
    I want to like it because it has The Rock in it. I don't have high hopes for it. I'll watch it on DVD probably.

Who would have ever thought Ghostbusters too would get so much exposure?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Here is my issue:

I hate movie sequels to begin with - so there is no scenario where I would have liked Ghostbusters or Oceans 8... If they want to cast pile of shit movies that appeal to females - more power to them... The annoying part is that in this cultural moment people want to pretend like they are actually good, specifically because of the gender thing...

The South Park guys had the best critique of this on The Ringer podcast. Basically their issue is that we all have to go along with this charade pretending it's a good movie because of this weird gender influence. (They cited the New York Times review as an example - like there is no world in which a shitty male-led ghostbusters movie gets a good review in the NYT, but because they are females the review is "Girls Rule. Women Are Funny. Get Over It."

https://www.theringer.com/2017/5/3/1...t-a7bd579528d8

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Here is my issue:

I hate movie sequels to begin with - so there is no scenario where I would have liked Ghostbusters or Oceans 8... If they want to cast pile of shit movies that appeal to females - more power to them... The annoying part is that in this cultural moment people want to pretend like they are actually good, specifically because of the gender thing...

The South Park guys had the best critique of this on The Ringer podcast. Basically their issue is that we all have to go along with this charade pretending it's a good movie because of this weird gender influence. (They cited the New York Times review as an example - like there is no world in which a shitty male-led ghostbusters movie gets a good review in the NYT, but because they are females the review is "Girls Rule. Women Are Funny. Get Over It."

https://www.theringer.com/2017/5/3/1...t-a7bd579528d8
    I get this.

My review of oceans 8 was just above average.

Like the love of the movie for the gender issue, the hate is equally asinine.

I do like the idea of female reboots... But the movie still needs to be entertaining

13. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I think they should do an all female reboot of The Godfather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

BTB can play the role of Fredo (Frida?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

I get this.

My review of oceans 8 was just above average.

Like the love of the movie for the gender issue, the hate is equally asinine.

I do like the idea of female reboots... But the movie still needs to be entertaining
    You seemed to have deleted your response to me lol. You are right, my white knight comment was uncalled for and added nothing to the conversation, sorry for going down this path.

I am not anti-female reboots, I'm anti-reboots for the sake of doing them, especially if you are going to make a poorly contrived statement with them.

You nailed it, the movie still needs to be entertaining. Ghostbusters wasn't. We can agree on the fact that it still wouldn't have been entertaining even if it was an all male cast. The issue with the movie was primarily crappy writing. My issue with the movie was taking an established franchise, running it into the ground so you can make a poorly thought out statement and killing the chance for future movies.

It may seem like we are really far apart on our views (partially because of my uncalled for jab earlier) but we're not as far apart as it may seem. My hesitancy with Ocean's 8 isn't because it's all female per se, it is because I'm worried it's going to be all female in the sense that Ghostbusters was and the path they took really rubbed me wrong.

If it isn't that way, then I'll watch it for what it is, a female heist movie set in the Ocean's movie universe.

18. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

the female reboots are the last jedi.

no need for any more ruined franchises.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information