Page 850 of 1170 FirstFirst ... 350 750 800 840 848 849 850 851 852 860 900 950 ... LastLast
Results 12,736 to 12,750 of 17550

Thread: Last movie you saw - and rate it

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I think you are thinking of ‘Lean and Deliver’ with Edward James Olmos about a guy forced to teach Summer School. That movie was funny as hell.
    Dammit. Yes. The ex-NCIS instructor.

2. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    The Shape of Water
    6/10
    Best Picture? Nah. Not even close. Good picture? Yes. It's a pretty solid film. But I don't think it was more entertaining than Get Out. I'll try to see the other 6 nominees for Best Picture to see where Shape fits in.

Black Panther
    7/10
    A typical storyline that was very well done nonetheless. The hero, his love interest, a villain who wants the throne, the comic relief, the token white guy, ect.. I'm surprised Samuel L. Jackson wasn't in it because he's in every movie, and pretty much all of Black Hollywood is in this movie so the math says Samuel at least takes his one eyed character to Wakanda. But alas, no. But it was still a good film. Not the best Marvel movie but it did it's job by entertaining me.

Its kind of weird, there is a lot of praise for Black Panther but i have yet to see anyone rate it above a 7 or 8 which is baffling. So what gives? Is it just getting credit because it happens to feature a large portion of black actors/actresses or is it actually an entertaining movie? Dont get me wrong, a 7 or 8 is a decent score for a movie but considering the hype i would of figured people would be rating it higher.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Its kind of weird, there is a lot of praise for Black Panther but i have yet to see anyone rate it above a 7 or 8 which is baffling. So what gives? Is it just getting credit because it happens to feature a large portion of black actors/actresses or is it actually an entertaining movie? Dont get me wrong, a 7 or 8 is a decent score for a movie but considering the hype i would of figured people would be rating it higher.
    To me personally the hype is not always about the quality of a movie. It's a Marvel movie so of course it's entertaining, but the "hype" or excitement or whatever you want to call it is because it really has staying power and is getting repeat business from people who are finally seeing something on the screen they have wanted to see to they are going to see it as much as possible. If it was a bad movie and all it had going for it was being the first real black Superhero movie it wouldn't have been #1 again last week. Basically it's the perfect storm of a good movie that is also a cultural milestone. Wonder Woman rode a similar wave last year despite being simply a "good" movie. Even if Black Panther 2 is a better movie objectively, I doubt we see this kind of phenomenon again. I think it's cool, even though I don't quite understand it myself.

EDIT: If you really want to understand some of the hype, there was a great roundtable from Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman Podcast with Mark Bernardin where he did a roundtable review with the creators of the comic and a few others to explain the significance of the movie to them. Kevin himself is not on this episode, but its a good listen regardless: http://www.smodcast.com/channel/fatm...tman?audio=208
    Last edited by MasterShake; 03-20-2018 at 07:56 AM.

5. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

To me personally the hype is not always about the quality of a movie. It's a Marvel movie so of course it's entertaining, but the "hype" or excitement or whatever you want to call it is because it really has staying power and is getting repeat business from people who are finally seeing something on the screen they have wanted to see to they are going to see it as much as possible. If it was a bad movie and all it had going for it was being the first real black Superhero movie it wouldn't have been #1 again last week. Basically it's the perfect storm of a good movie that is also a cultural milestone. Wonder Woman rode a similar wave last year despite being simply a "good" movie. Even if Black Panther 2 is a better movie objectively, I doubt we see this kind of phenomenon again. I think it's cool, even though I don't quite understand it myself.

EDIT: If you really want to understand some of the hype, there was a great roundtable from Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman Podcast with Mark Bernardin where he did a roundtable review with the creators of the comic and a few others to explain the significance of the movie to them. Kevin himself is not on this episode, but its a good listen regardless: http://www.smodcast.com/channel/fatm...tman?audio=208
    I've been curious about this myself. I've avoided reading much about it, because I hate spoilers and don't plan to watch it until it comes out on Digital to stream on VUDU, but have come real close a few times to reading some articles to see what has made it so popular. I think I read it was the first movie since Avatar to top the box office for 5 weeks. Even when a movie has a great opening weekend, they usually fall out of the lead after two or three weeks, because typically revenue drops by a tremendous amount every week.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I've been curious about this myself. I've avoided reading much about it, because I hate spoilers and don't plan to watch it until it comes out on Digital to stream on VUDU, but have come real close a few times to reading some articles to see what has made it so popular. I think I read it was the first movie since Avatar to top the box office for 5 weeks. Even when a movie has a great opening weekend, they usually fall out of the lead after two or three weeks, because typically revenue drops by a tremendous amount every week.
    Yeah, it's not because more people are seeing the movie it's because of repeat viewings and such. Titanic, Avatar, The Force Awakens, and now Black Panther seem to have hit a chord with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Great movie.
    We definitely don't share tastes on movies I HATED Logan lol.

9. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Dogma - 8/10

Been going back through the Kevin Smith library since he almost died a few weeks back and I hadn't seen this movie in years and forgot how good it was. It never reaches the heights of Clerks or Chasing Amy (his best film by far in my opinion) but it never takes itself too seriously either despite the subject matter which was deemed "controversial" before anyone even saw it. Plus, the fact that he protested his own movie when it was released is still one of the funniest things ever:

11. The Following 6 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Dogma - 8/10

Been going back through the Kevin Smith library since he almost died a few weeks back and I hadn't seen this movie in years and forgot how good it was. It never reaches the heights of Clerks or Chasing Amy (his best film by far in my opinion) but it never takes itself too seriously either despite the subject matter which was deemed "controversial" before anyone even saw it. Plus, the fact that he protested his own movie when it was released is still one of the funniest things ever:

Hahahaha! I’d never seen that before. That’s so awesome.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Dogma is great and even better if you were raised Catholic. My review is as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

15. The Following 6 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Dogma is great and even better if you were raised Catholic. My review is as follows:

I have a mini Buddy Christ on my desk at home. And yes, growing up Catholic makes the movie even better.

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

The Nice Guys - 10/10
    Fantastic, overlooked flick.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Pacific Rim: Uprising - 8/10

I have no idea why I enjoyed this movie so much. I didn't really care for the first one, but my son loved it so we decided to go see this late last night at the last minute. It actually accomplished in many ways that I felt the first one didn't, namely fulfilling the promise of seeing giant robots fight giant monsters in a fun way (like the old Godzilla or Ultraman flicks) without relying too much on melodrama. There are some hammy moments, but the movie is almost self aware of them and almost dismisses them immediately. And the best part? ALL the fights are in broad daylight with easy to follow action, unlike the jumbled mess of something like the Transformers movie. But the one thing I really loved is that this finally felt like a live-action anime or a good Voltron movie and all the logic holes were explained away by the fact that you need to accept the premise itself is bat-shit crazy. Once I heard the phrase, "The entire city has been moved to to the underground shelter, you are free to engage" I just settled in and watched the ridiculousness unfold without worrying about how much of a logistical nightmare it would be to hide the citizens of Tokyo underground.

If you like old monster destroys city flicks with the soul of Starship Troopers, this movie will be right up your alley. Everyone else just roll your eyes and move along, nothing to see here.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Rim Job 6

3/10

Predictable plot but ends with a bang.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Rim Job 6

3/10

Predictable plot but ends with a bang.
    I told you to watch RJ5 first.

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Atomic Blonde- 7/10

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information