Page 1116 of 1171 FirstFirst ... 116 616 1016 1066 1106 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1126 1166 ... LastLast
Results 16,726 to 16,740 of 17551

Thread: Last movie you saw - and rate it

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Arrival - 7.5/10

Not very into alien movies typically -- but this one was cool... If Aliens did show up and were trying to communicate with us, how would we go about communicating with them?

Also, we remember how in Independence Day the humans all banded together to save humanity... This movie kind of reminded me how utterly screwed we'd actually be and how humans would inevitably mess it up because we wouldn't be able to reach a consensus on what to do, and some nation would go rogue, etc.

I appreciate how this movie didn't just follow all the typical alien movie tropes. Would recommend.
    Everything you described says 8.5/10. So why is it only a 7.5?

Actually, no need to answer, I know.

I respect the strict scoring even if I want scores that act as markers for 'things that rise to the level of interesting'.

To me, this movie and the short story by Ted Chiang are a vehicle for a pretty cool concept. It's idea as story. That's my jam.

It's an intriguing exercise: how does the structure of a language (or any coded system of meaning) define reality itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Everything you described says 8.5/10. So why is it only a 7.5?

Actually, no need to answer, I know.

I respect the strict scoring even if I want scores that act as markers for 'things that rise to the level of interesting'.

To me, this movie and the short story by Ted Chiang are a vehicle for a pretty cool concept. It's idea as story. That's my jam.

It's an intriguing exercise: how does the structure of a language (or any coded system of meaning) define reality itself?
    Actually a totally fair question! Well both fair questions, but I am more adept at answering the first one. My initial rating was like an 8, but I still struggle with the genre -- there were a couple of moments where I thought "OK this is kind of a hokey alien movie thing" -- such as how the aliens sound (why does every alien sound like Predator)... Or how the overly hasty good guys won't listen and put pressure on the main character. Little stuff, but enough where there were moments that I was questioning whether I could really commit fully.

As for the latter, a fun question to kick around... I really liked how they brought in the idea of time being non-linear and driven by our codes. Fun movie.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Demon Slayer -Kimetsu no Yaiba- The Movie: Mugen Train

10/10 - pure perfection

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Tomorrow' s War on Amazon. totally sucked. Hated it
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

5. The Following User High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    Tomorrow' s War on Amazon. totally sucked. Hated it
    I was looking forward to this, still gonna watch it but dropping my expectations.....
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

7. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I may have to check out Tomorrow's War. Everyone ive been talking to says its great.

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I may have to check out Tomorrow's War. Everyone ive been talking to says its great.
    FWIW, my wife and I both liked it. We both like Pratt and Dexter's girlfriend. Some knocked the storyline as dumb or hard to believe, but heck, if that's the measuring stick, that takes a lot of movies off the table. Beyond that, I thought it was good action, some humor as you would expect from Pratt.

Guess it will wind up being a love it/hate it movie.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Black Widow - 8.5/10

First of all, AMC has REALLY stepped up their game with their new theater on 9th and Colorado. Reserved oversized electric leather recliners, DOLBY ATMOS sound, full bar, etc. so kudos to them for giving me a viable and close option to the Alamo Drafthouse!

Anyway, this was the first new movie that I've seen since the pandemic and it was sooo nice to be in a theater with a crowd with no masks again. I think the overall experience put me in a good mood as this was probably the thing I missed the most since all the... unpleasantness. That being said, once the initial excitement wore off and the movie settled in it was just nice to be in a big crowd again. Especially for a tentpole movie that was supposed to come out over a year ago.

The movie itself was fun. It was exactly what a Black Widow movie should be, which was basically a spy thriller with elements of James Bond and Mission: Impossible thrown in. Everything is here from a villain hiding in a secret base, to a "Jaws" type henchman. The action sequences are over-the-top in a good way and paced evenly throughout the film. The best part about the movie however is the strong casting of Black Widow's "family", including David Harbour (from Stranger Things) as Red Guardian and the exceedingly charming Florence Pugh as Yelena who plays Scarlett Johannson's sister of sorts.

The plot is basically the engine to get the story going and its fine as it sets our heroes on a globe trotting mission to gather their team and track down the bad guys. The only major issue I had with this film was that it should've come out in 2017 (when the movie is set in the Marvel timeline) to give some more breathing room to the characters and overall story which it is a part of. Ultimately it feels like what it is, a strange epilogue/prequel hybrid that feels like an afterthought when Marvel had already taken its bow with Endgame. Ultimately this is just saying goodbye to Natasha and hello to the next phase of the MCU which is fine but ultimately kind of a step sideways to keep things moving.

I think superhero movies are best when they take the genre and apply it to another genre like westerns or spy movies, so this was right up my alley. If you like that crap, you will like this crap. Pure summer escapism.

So there are 2 post-credit scenes basically. One right after the movie ends and another after all the credits. The second scene that leads directly into the phase 2 stuff is a nod to the Hawkeye series. This has to be the first movie of this scale that was a setup for a TV series and not vice versa. All the other Marvel TV shows right now are leading into movies so this is a bit backwards!
    Last edited by MasterShake; 07-10-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Skipping Shake's post until tomorrow. Skimmed the first couple paragraphs, but am so spoiler averse don't even want to read something that I'm sure is meant to not give spoilers.

In a battle with my wife right now over whether or not to pay the ridiculous $30 to watch Black Widow on Disney premier access or whatever it's called vs. waiting 2-4 months for it to be available on vudu or other streaming. Pretty sure we are going to watch it tonight or tomorrow.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Skipping Shake's post until tomorrow. Skimmed the first couple paragraphs, but am so spoiler averse don't even want to read something that I'm sure is meant to not give spoilers.

In a battle with my wife right now over whether or not to pay the ridiculous $30 to watch Black Widow on Disney premier access or whatever it's called vs. waiting 2-4 months for it to be available on vudu or other streaming. Pretty sure we are going to watch it tonight or tomorrow.
    I knew nothing of the film aside from the trailer but I think I spoiler tagged the good stuff! Most of it is common knowledge from the trailer but better be safe than sorry!

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Going South (1978)

3/5. It was cool to see Jack Nicholson and John Belushi together in this film. It was funny to see Belushi playing a Mexican cowboy. The whole movie is ok. However, it was fun to see some familiar people in this film.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I knew nothing of the film aside from the trailer but I think I spoiler tagged the good stuff! Most of it is common knowledge from the trailer but better be safe than sorry!
    I'm so spoiler averse, I almost never watch trailers. The only trailers I watch are for movies I'm not sure I want to see, so I might watch a trailer to see if I want to watch it, and then stop the trailer as soon as I've decided I'm going to watch it. Since we don't go to movie theaters, we aren't sitting through trailers, so we can shut them off. My wife loves to watch trailers and watches them when I'm not around.

I decided to watch Captain America civil war yesterday, since this is supposed to take place after that (no clue if anything from that story line makes it into Black Widow). Doing some cleaning around the house this morning, cleaning out some storage areas with accumulated crap and then going to watch it this afternoon.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I'm so spoiler averse, I almost never watch trailers. The only trailers I watch are for movies I'm not sure I want to see, so I might watch a trailer to see if I want to watch it, and then stop the trailer as soon as I've decided I'm going to watch it. Since we don't go to movie theaters, we aren't sitting through trailers, so we can shut them off. My wife loves to watch trailers and watches them when I'm not around.

I decided to watch Captain America civil war yesterday, since this is supposed to take place after that (no clue if anything from that story line makes it into Black Widow). Doing some cleaning around the house this morning, cleaning out some storage areas with accumulated crap and then going to watch it this afternoon.
    Yes it takes place almost right after Civil War and before Infinity War. The political fulcrum of Civil War plays a part in the why, but not the how, of Black Widow as a character and her story at that point so its not spoilerly other than mentioning the main crux of how Civil War affects the Avengers at large. The rest is all self contained to stuff we never knew about her for the most part.

Just finished. I thought it was real good. Great combo of back story and action.

19. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post

So there are 2 post-credit scenes basically. One right after the movie ends and another after all the credits. The second scene that leads directly into the phase 2 stuff is a nod to the Hawkeye series. This has to be the first movie of this scale that was a setup for a TV series and not vice versa. All the other Marvel TV shows right now are leading into movies so this is a bit backwards!

I wasn't thinking about the Hawkeye series when I saw that, and was trying to figure out the point as shortly after this in the timeline would be rolling into Infinity. So, that makes more sense now. As I said, being spoiler averse, I haven't really looked into Hawkeye and how much Renner is expected to be in it vs. a female Hawkeye (I've heard his daughter or someone else --- part of the nearly all female phase V I guess.

I've enjoyed Loki, was so/so on Wandavision.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information