Page 1038 of 1170 FirstFirst ... 38 538 938 988 1028 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1048 1088 1138 ... LastLast
Results 15,556 to 15,570 of 17550

Thread: Last movie you saw - and rate it

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Kubrick entirely changed the ending as I recall. I read the book first and then watched the movie -- I didn't mind the interpretation but the end threw me off because it wasn't like a different interpretation -- it was a different story.
    I always forget ... one burned the hotel down (the movie?), the other didn’t (the book). Which kind of leads to a ****** up plot hole for the sequel movie, correct?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    King87 famously said it was his favorite movie of the year, the decade, and his life in general.
    king also believes the McRib is real meat.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

So I've been watching a lot of Kubrick analysis videos. A lot of them are filled with confirmation bias regarding some really wacky shit like faking the moon landing and secret sex cults running the world (we all know this is the case but I don't think Kubrick was putting clues about it in movies).

What I have come to really like is Kubrick's insane level of detail and the different little ways he would **** with viewers. A good example is in 2001: A space Odesey. There's a group of people standing and talking next to a group of chairs. In one scene there is a ladies blue sweatshirt draped over a chair, when the camera cuts back a little while later the sweatshirt is gone. It seems like a continuity error but someone isolated the background audio and there is an announcement coming over an intercom saying "a ladies blue casmier sweater has been found and can be picked up at the manager's office".

So either Kubrick did the whole thing on purpose or he noticed the continuity error later and added the audio in later as a joke. Either way it's those kinds of little things that I find really cool about Kubrick.

The Shining is full of little continuity error things like that but one of the producers said Kubrick did those on purpose to make people feel uneasy even if it was just subconsciously.

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I always forget ... one burned the hotel down (the movie?), the other didn’t (the book). Which kind of leads to a ****** up plot hole for the sequel movie, correct?
    You have it backwards.

7. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    king also believes the McRib is real meat.
    Maybe not, but it is real good (OK, at least surprisingly good).

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    So I've been watching a lot of Kubrick analysis videos. A lot of them are filled with confirmation bias regarding some really wacky shit like faking the moon landing and secret sex cults running the world (we all know this is the case but I don't think Kubrick was putting clues about it in movies).

What I have come to really like is Kubrick's insane level of detail and the different little ways he would **** with viewers. A good example is in 2001: A space Odesey. There's a group of people standing and talking next to a group of chairs. In one scene there is a ladies blue sweatshirt draped over a chair, when the camera cuts back a little while later the sweatshirt is gone. It seems like a continuity error but someone isolated the background audio and there is an announcement coming over an intercom saying "a ladies blue casmier sweater has been found and can be picked up at the manager's office".

So either Kubrick did the whole thing on purpose or he noticed the continuity error later and added the audio in later as a joke. Either way it's those kinds of little things that I find really cool about Kubrick.

The Shining is full of little continuity error things like that but one of the producers said Kubrick did those on purpose to make people feel uneasy even if it was just subconsciously.
    I mean, Eyes Wide Shut is explicitly about a sex cult for rich people.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I mean, Eyes Wide Shut is explicitly about a sex cult for rich people.
    Yeah I know. I don't think he was murdered over it though. Why would they murder him then release the movie anyway?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Yeah I know. I don't think he was murdered over it though. Why would they murder him then release the movie anyway?
    Oh, I didn’t catch the part where he was murdered for it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Oh, I didn’t catch the part where he was murdered for it.
    That's one big conspiracy theory that people float. There is some evidence for it, I won't deny that, but still not convinced. He died fairly soon after screening the film for a bunch of execs, who supposedly were not happy at all about the film. There is also reports of something like 16 minutes of the film that was edited out and destroyed after his death.

Conspiracies are fun to think about but they're usually not true.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Kubrick was a GOAT Director. The way he moved the camera is just amazing. I desperately want to be able to see 2001 on a big screen in 70mm.

My top 3:

2001: A Space Odyssey
    Paths of Glory
    Dr. Strangelove

14. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

You have it backwards.
    King loved the miniseries they did because it followed the book. I liked all, but the original movie threw me off because of the ending. I had read the book 3 times before isaw the movie so it was weird. But i still loved the movie, just thought of them as separate stories.

You just can't beat Nicholson in that movie. I think that and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest were his best.
    Last edited by GEM; 01-09-2020 at 09:39 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I like Kubrick's ending better.
    Meh. They're just different. In the book he saves his family/is maybe redeemed. In the movie he freezes to death outside. The other big thematic difference is that in the book Jack Torrance has given up alcohol, and then has a gradual degradation/fall back into his demons at the hotel. In the movie it doesn't seem like he's ever been free of them.

Both still effectively illustrate the dangers of "monsters" like addiction.

I think that book was very personal for King, and that's why he got so upset. He is a recovering alcoholic himself.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I loved the movie even with the different ending.

19. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm having a painfully slow day at work so I have jumped down a rabbit hole I may never get out of. I have started watching in depth analysis videos about Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. ****, what a brilliant movie. I think people have associated a lot of things with this movie that may not have actually been Kubrick's intention, but it's still cool to watch.

I think Hawg would love these dense analytical pieces. I always loved the movie and might have to watch it this weekend. My daughter loves horror movies and she loves puzzles so I might have to do a Shining watch party and discussion with her.
    I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm having a painfully slow day at work so I have jumped down a rabbit hole I may never get out of. I have started watching in depth analysis videos about Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. ****, what a brilliant movie. I think people have associated a lot of things with this movie that may not have actually been Kubrick's intention, but it's still cool to watch.

I think Hawg would love these dense analytical pieces. I always loved the movie and might have to watch it this weekend. My daughter loves horror movies and she loves puzzles so I might have to do a Shining watch party and discussion with her.

I love this concept, and it makes so much sense. It reminds me of some of my own horror concepts (a video game in which perspective angles didn't add up in an almost undetectable way, looked ok but was uncanny somehow) as well as the main concept of House of Leaves--which I don't recommend but is the best example of upending the spatial certainty that is the bedrock of human mastery over anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information