Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Camby Headed to the Clippers

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Default Camby Headed to the Clippers

The Nuggets will trade veteran center Marcus Camby to the Los Angeles Clippers in order to create salary cap space, a source close to the team told the Denver Post Tuesday evening.

Denver will receive a future second-round draft pick, the source said.

Trading Camby, considered one of the top defensive centers in the NBA, will save Denver around $20 million, the source said

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_9891201

I wish we could have gotten someone who could be plugged into the lineup... But this was a move that had to be made eventually, Camby is a terrible one on one defender who's stats are inflated by blocks... And he has some crazy notion that he's an outside shooter too... I'm glad he's gone, but I'll be even happier when we're done with Kenyon's contract...
    Last edited by Buff; 07-15-2008 at 08:48 PM.

This is a terrible move, terrible. Camby gave 100% every night no matter the circumstances. A second round pick might as well be the same as cutting him. I want to know who is going to play center at even half the level Camby did.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived ChampWJ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by ChampWJ View Post
    This is a terrible move, terrible. Camby gave 100% every night no matter the circumstances. A second round pick might as well be the same as cutting him. I want to know who is going to play center at even half the level Camby did.
    Yeah, I'm a little concerned as to who we'll play there... Nene can play Center, but he's a little undersized. K-Mart can spell players there, but he's a true PF.

I think it's safe to say they're going to have to bring someone else in.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

We all knew something was bound to happen, the Camby for Hinrich trade would have just put the Nuggets even deeper into cap hell, don't know if they could of got more, just a 2nd which sucks from the Nuggets fans point of view.

Definitly will have some flexability next off-season for sure.

As for wo can step up, Nene if healthy can play center, Hunter can get some mins, McCoy see if he makes the roster out of sumer leauge, definitly not an up grade or even near Camby but is a body.

As for Camby, how many centers are good one on one defenders? Blocks are a stat, not infalted, it means that the other team did not score. Camby did float but you can not say his double-doubles and blocks meant nothing.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    As for Camby, how many centers are good one on one defenders? Blocks are a stat, not infalted, it means that the other team did not score. Camby did float but you can not say his double-doubles and blocks meant nothing.
    Yeah, I don't mean to trash the guy on his way out. He was a superb rebounder, and a good off the ball defender... Definitely an above average NBA center.

In a perfect world they would have unloaded K-Mart's contract, but obviously no one is dumb enough to bite on that... So now they've got to work a trade with someone else, or sign a free agent center. I think the latter is more likely. So, the next question is, who are some of the free agent Centers available? (Other than David Harrison, please don't sign that scrub)

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by ChampWJ View Post
    I agree - I hate this. Camby not only gave 100% every night, he is equal to Rod Smith as far as being a GREAT person.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

9. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

IT'S A DONE DEAL THIS IS SICK

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...rs-draft-pick/

Nuggets ship Camby to Clippers for draft pick

Nuggets center Marcus Camby has been traded to the Los Angeles Clippers, his agent confirmed Tuesday night.

Camby’s agent, Rick Kaplan, said the move was made for salary-cap purposes. The Nuggets have the option to switch 2010 second-round draft picks with the Clippers. If Denver has a better pick that year, the Nuggets will get nothing from the Clippers.

The Nuggets also will get a $10 million trade exception in which they can use within a year.

“They gave him away for nothing,’’ Kaplan said. “(The Clippers) definitely got their money’s worth.’’

Camby has a base salary next season of $8 million. His cap number is $10 million when one takes into account $2 million in bonuses for games played that he earned last season.

Because the Nuggets are deep into the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax, the move could end up saving them between $16 million and $22.5 million. If Camby reaches all of his games bonuses and statistical bonuses worth $1.25 million, that’s how the $22.5 million figure is attained.

The move signals the Nuggets are serious about cutting payroll this offseason. Before the Camby move, the Nuggets had nine players with guaranteed contracts totaling more than $79 million, which is about $8 million over the NBA luxury tax threshold.

Nuggets vice president of player personnel Rex Chapman said he would address the media in a conference call later this evening.

Camby was named NBA Defensive Player of the Year in 2006-07 and finished second last season. He has been named to the All-Defensive first team at center two straight years.

The move leaves the Nuggets with a big hole at center. Nene can play center, but missed much of last season due to testicular cancer surgery.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

How is this possible? In the NBA there is supposed be a about the same money changing hands, the Noguts get rid of 20 million in salary and gain a 2nd round pick with a None guaranteed salary contract?

The link isn't working for me, so if somebody could explain this I'd appreciate it......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    How is this possible? In the NBA there is supposed be a about the same money changing hands, the Noguts get rid of 20 million in salary and gain a 2nd round pick with a None guaranteed salary contract?

The link isn't working for me, so if somebody could explain this I'd appreciate it......
    They did a horrible deal with K-Mart and overspent. Nene, AI and Melo all have huge deals... Someone had to go.

It's essentially like the Repo man showing up and taking one of your vehicles when you've overspent.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Its because teh Clips do not have to pay Elton Brand moeny after he opted out so they have enough room to take on Camby's contract.

Man, for nothing that just stings even more. Hard to see good guys/players go, but the Nuggets dug themselves a whole and they have to dig themselves out of it, even if it means taking hits such as this. This is a hard one to try and get around at the moment....

As for C, Hunter, depeding on his knee will get a shot. Like I said above see if anyone sticks off the summer roster to take a few mins.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post

It's possible because the Clips have cap space to absorb Camby's contract.

Not sure what the Nugz are doing here. They are either going to try and retool within the next few years or they may be going after one of the FAs left on the market...who knows.
    I NO LONGER support Rahim Moore.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I don't mind the trade one bit, but can someone tell me why we traded the No. 1 pick for next to nothing, now?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I can't imagine a scenario where they would go into camp with Hunter and Nene as the only two centers on the roster... They will sign someone. It will almost certainly be a downgrade from Camby, but they'll get another body.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    I don't mind the trade one bit, but can someone tell me why we traded the No. 1 pick for next to nothing, now?
    Didn't we get a #1 next year?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Didn't we get a #1 next year?
    Only if the Bobcats make the playoffs.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information