Thread: BREAKIN' IT DOWN, WEEK 2 vs. OAKLAND

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Default BREAKIN' IT DOWN, WEEK 2 vs. OAKLAND

better late than never, right?

home opener against the faders, with a chance to take over first place in the division if the cheaters beat the chokers-- yea, shanahan isn't licking his chops! if the team isn't focused, heads may roll. . .

i think the key matchup is probably our offense against their defense, as i simply don't fear their O-- and while their special teams are solid, they aren't the gamechangers that buffalo's STs are. . . the vaunted fader D got shredded pretty badly last week, so you know they'll be hungry-- whether that was an aberration or an omen of things to come, remains to be seen. . . i didn't see last week's game, so i can't say for sure whether martz's complex scheme fooled them, or they just failed to execute-- but their secondary obviously came up small in the clutch. . . they didn't give up a ton of rushing yards, but surrendered close to 300 passing yards and three passing TDs. . .

although they have a quality pair of corners, i'm sure shenanigans took notice-- normally i'd expect a fairly conservative gameplan against a D that played us as stout as theirs did last year (especially with a weak O on the other side of the ball), but i have a feeling that we may look to be aggressive in the passing game. . . last week we used primarily short-to-intermediate passes, lots of slants and skinny posts-- it may have been because buffalo runs a cover-2 base and likes to keep their safeties deep, and it may have been that we were protecting our line with mostly three-step drops, but i think we may throw a few more deep balls this week. . .

last week we ran a ton of base offense other than on 3rd downs, and probably worked with twin receivers to one side 75% of the time, far more than usual. . . asomugha is a big, physical corner who matches up well with javon walker-- while walker will inevitably make some plays, i won't be surprised if he doesn't match his sterling week one performance. . . of course, we may look to move him around and isolate him against fabian washington on the other side. . . when walker is against asomugha, i'd expect us to target him with slants and comebacks that make it easy for him and hard on the DB. . .

on the other side, washington is lightning quick, in terms of both his recovery speed and his break on the ball, and is very aggressive jumping routes-- that can put him in place for big picks, but can also be used against him. . . cutler will have to be very careful if he attacks washington with quick outs or square ins where he can undercut the route, but we might be able to exploit marshall's size advantage with the post or the corner. . . also, i'd love to try taking advantage of his aggression with a slant-and-go, especially if we can match javon against him. . . stanford routt is their nickel-- he is also blazing fast, but isn't great at route recognition. . . stokley should be able to use his precise route-running to get open against him, but cutler will have to get the ball there quickly to negate routt's recovery speed. . . this may be our best matchup, and i suspect we'll see a few more 3-wide sets, both to attack routt, and to spread the field for the running game. . .

i'm sure DC rex ryan will mix up the coverages in an effort to confuse cutler, but the fade is primarily a man-coverage team. . . i'm sure they'll blitz a lot, and from different directions. . . graham saw a fair bit of duty at H-back last week, especially when we went with the gun-- that will probably continue (hopefully nalen can get those snaps up a little higher!). . . against a fast, aggressive D, he's more valuable as a bodyguard for our franchise than as a pass-catcher. . . graham lacks the speed to separate against oakland's fast OLBs and safeties, and if we want to get him involved in the passing game we should use play-action to get him open out in the flat. . . he has the size to be effective if we can isolate him on huff in the red zone, though. . . speaking of huff, cutler will have to be aware of him all the time-- they used to use charles woodson in a hybrid "rover" role and let him roam free in the secondary, and i think they want huff to take over those duties. . . he'll probably be moving around a lot, and i wouldn't be surprised if they use him to cover the slot as much as they can rather than taking a linebacker off the field to bring in their nickel. . . cutler will have to locate huff in his pre-snap reads. . . we didn't use that much motion against buffalo, and we may use a bit more this week to help jay identify coverages. . .

although they didn't have to cover for a lot of deep drops, i though our OL was solid in pass protection last week-- hopefully that will continue, but the fade's DL is a tougher challenge than buffalo. . . their ends aren't better, but the interior DL is. . . sapp can still cause problems, and tommy kelly will probably move inside on passing downs. . . lepsis looked pretty good against schobel last week, and will have to be equally sound against burgess-- he's more of a speed rusher who lacks schobel's powerful bull rush, and will test lepsis' ability to kick out quickly. . .

ryan does a good job mixing up his defensive fronts, and i expect them to try to confuse cutler with multiple fronts and a lot of pre-snap movement. . . i'm sure we'll see a lot of stacked lines, both with over and under fronts where one OLB lines up off the DE's hip, and 46 type looks with a safety in the box. . . they'll try to crowd the LOS to limit henry, and i'll be satisfied if we can get a workmanlike 100 yards out of him this week. . . terdell sands is a big dumptruck in the middle of the line, and tommy kelly (who moved out to DE this year) is a big base end. . . their LB are fast and come downhill quick-- kirk morrison is a beast in the running game, and thomas howard can blaze off the end (though he sometimes takes false steps and can overpursue-- could possibly open up a few cutback lanes). . . their LBs are big and physical, and fill hard against the run-- sapp's ability to take on blockers in the hole will be pivotal to our ability to establish a ground game. . .

i give it better than even odds that shenanigans has a reverse somewhere in his scripted plays-- i think we'll pop one on 'em early in an attempt to take advantage of their aggression, and slow that pursuit down a bit. . . we know walker runs very well in the open field, and pay attention if hixon comes in the game early at WR! we were very successful with the few screens we ran against buffalo, and i'd love to see us use a few more this week to get henry into space rather than banging him into stacked fronts all the time-- i've said for years now that we should run more screens to take advantage of our mobile linemen. . .

i still think lepsis and nalen are the heart of our running game. . . although he didn't look that powerful off the ball, i was pleased with myers' quickness and ability to get to the second level-- he needs to work on hitting moving targets a little more squarely, though. . . i'm not impressed at all with eric pears as a run blocker-- he doesn't look like a natural knee-bender, and he comes out of his stance too high and loses leverage, allowing DLs to get under his pads so he can't drive them back. . . i know he's tall, but he's got to find a way to come off the ball a little lower if he's going to be successful-- he does wall off nicely, though. . . with mustard back, we may see a few more two-TE power formations, particularly in short-yardage situations. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:

a key for us on defense will be our ability to make them one-dimensional. . . lamont jordan had a nice game against detroit's pathetic defense, and we haven't been all that stout in that area, but he still doesn't scare me. . . their line is still awful, and jordan didn't break 100 rushing yards last week. . . most of lynch's good runs came against us when sam adams was out of the lineup, as the other DTs were a noticeable dropoff-- if we can limit them on first down and put them in bad down-and-distance situations, we should be able to keep him relatively fresh. . . i suspect they'll run to their left a lot. . . cooper carlisle struggles to generate movement against big fatties like adams, and they're more likely to have success running away from him and trying to cut him on the backside than running at him. . . also, gold and bly don't tackle nearly as well as webster and bailey. . . the fade is supposedly running the ZBS this year, and i expect that they'll use the wide zone and stretch play to attack the C gaps when we have a DE lined up wide in the nine technique. . .

i noticed that bates likes to run basic sets on 1st down a lot, but he was consistently crowding the LOS on 2nd-and-longs-- but unlike coyer, he didn't always bring everyone that was up, but rather tended to bring one of two and drop the others into coverage. . . both of our sacks came on blitzes attacking the A and B gaps. . . we kept our safeties deep against buffalo, but i don't think porter and curry garner that kind of respect, and i think we'll see a little more eight in the box on 1st downs. . . webster flows to the ball very well, but sometimes gets caught in trash-- i'm hoping we can play our LBs a little closer to the line with the safeties up a bit. . . jordan doesn't have the best burst, especially later in games, and he's going to struggle to find much running room if our fast LBs are plugging their gaps aggressively. . . if crowder can play he should be able to help out against the run. . .

it looks like culpepper will be starting for them, and i'm sure dre and champ are salivating at the chance to face a rusty QB in his first full speed game action in almost a year. . . culpepper can certainly be dangerous, but that works both ways-- the last two years he has been a turnover machine, both through INTs and fumbles. . . he has a monster arm and can wing it down the field, but his decision making is questionable at best. . . if we can put some pressure on him, it could result in big turnovers. . . rice should play a much bigger role this week, and he could have a big game against OLT barry simms, who has had epic struggles with premier edge rushers. . . simms lacks base power, and can also be vulnerable to the bull rush-- i hope elvis can go to work on him when rice comes out (i still don't expect him to be in good enough shape to play the whole game, and we have plenty of pass rushers to rotate). . . our interior pressure was lacking even on obvious passing downs, so i'm eager to see if marcus thomas can get it going against ol' short arms gallery, who they've moved back inside since he sucked so bad outside at tackle. . . culpepper has little mobility since his knee got shredded, so our guys can sell out to get upfield without worrying too much about maintaining lane discipline. . . i'd love to see lynch creep up at the last second for a few blitzes to test pep's awareness. . .

curry had a big day last week, but he'll find going against dre bly a whole different animal from abusing detroit's helpless wretches. . . and i'm sure champ hasn't forgotten how porter took advantage of him in the snow a few years ago-- it's not likely to happen again. . . tight end zach miller is polished for a rookie, and may catch a few underneath against our LBs, but doesn't have the speed to attack vertically. . . jordan is an excellent receiver out of the backfield, and he showed it by burning detroit. . . we'll probably have gold shadow him in coverage-- i expect him to make a few nice plays when he sneaks out into the flat, but i doubt he'll match the 89 receiving yards he got against the cowardly lions. . . one area where our pass D may be a bit vulnerable is the red zone (if they ever get there)-- travis taylor and mike williams aren't good for much, but either of them has the size to potentially exploit bly on the fade. . .

hopefully our "special" teams can find a way not to screw the pooch this week. . . chris carr is a competent return man with some explosiveness, although i don't think he's quite as dangerous as parrish and mcgee. . . sauerbrun was getting good depth on his kickoffs, and should be better on both punts and kicks at home with the the altitude. . . their punter lechler is a weapon in the field position game, it would be nice if we can find a way to match him. . . i thought hixon showed impressive ability to stay on his feet and shake the first tackler-- it may be too much to hope for, but maybe just maybe we can find a way to actually block their gunners and spring him for a nice return at some point. . . but ultimately, like last week, i'll be satisfied if we just manage to not give up any big plays. . .

raider week. . . . BRING IT ON!!

“When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

3. Default

thanks for the breakdown, gives me things to watch for!!!!
    Go Broncos!

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by The Horses Mouth View Post
    thanks for the breakdown, gives me things to watch for!!!!
    you're welcome-- that's one of the reasons i write these. . .

- John Elway

i like reading these things from you dogo...

CMON BRONCOS!!

________
    Art On The Hill Condo Prathumnak
    Last edited by anton...; 08-31-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Nice write up DF!

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    better late than never, right?

home opener against the faders, with a chance to take over first place in the division if the cheaters beat the chokers-- yea, shanahan isn't licking his chops! if the team isn't focused, heads may roll. . .

i think the key matchup is probably our offense against their defense, as i simply don't fear their O-- and while their special teams are solid, they aren't the gamechangers that buffalo's STs are. . . the vaunted fader D got shredded pretty badly last week, so you know they'll be hungry-- whether that was an aberration or an omen of things to come, remains to be seen. . . i didn't see last week's game, so i can't say for sure whether martz's complex scheme fooled them, or they just failed to execute-- but their secondary obviously came up small in the clutch. . . they didn't give up a ton of rushing yards, but surrendered close to 300 passing yards and three passing TDs. . .

although they have a quality pair of corners, i'm sure shenanigans took notice-- normally i'd expect a fairly conservative gameplan against a D that played us as stout as theirs did last year (especially with a weak O on the other side of the ball), but i have a feeling that we may look to be aggressive in the passing game. . . last week we used primarily short-to-intermediate passes, lots of slants and skinny posts-- it may have been because buffalo runs a cover-2 base and likes to keep their safeties deep, and it may have been that we were protecting our line with mostly three-step drops, but i think we may throw a few more deep balls this week. . .

last week we ran a ton of base offense other than on 3rd downs, and probably worked with twin receivers to one side 75% of the time, far more than usual. . . asomugha is a big, physical corner who matches up well with javon walker-- while walker will inevitably make some plays, i won't be surprised if he doesn't match his sterling week one performance. . . of course, we may look to move him around and isolate him against fabian washington on the other side. . . when walker is against asomugha, i'd expect us to target him with slants and comebacks that make it easy for him and hard on the DB. . .

on the other side, washington is lightning quick, in terms of both his recovery speed and his break on the ball, and is very aggressive jumping routes-- that can put him in place for big picks, but can also be used against him. . . cutler will have to be very careful if he attacks washington with quick outs or square ins where he can undercut the route, but we might be able to exploit marshall's size advantage with the post or the corner. . . also, i'd love to try taking advantage of his aggression with a slant-and-go, especially if we can match javon against him. . . stanford routt is their nickel-- he is also blazing fast, but isn't great at route recognition. . . stokley should be able to use his precise route-running to get open against him, but cutler will have to get the ball there quickly to negate routt's recovery speed. . . this may be our best matchup, and i suspect we'll see a few more 3-wide sets, both to attack routt, and to spread the field for the running game. . .

i'm sure DC rex ryan will mix up the coverages in an effort to confuse cutler, but the fade is primarily a man-coverage team. . . i'm sure they'll blitz a lot, and from different directions. . . graham saw a fair bit of duty at H-back last week, especially when we went with the gun-- that will probably continue (hopefully nalen can get those snaps up a little higher!). . . against a fast, aggressive D, he's more valuable as a bodyguard for our franchise than as a pass-catcher. . . graham lacks the speed to separate against oakland's fast OLBs and safeties, and if we want to get him involved in the passing game we should use play-action to get him open out in the flat. . . he has the size to be effective if we can isolate him on huff in the red zone, though. . . speaking of huff, cutler will have to be aware of him all the time-- they used to use charles woodson in a hybrid "rover" role and let him roam free in the secondary, and i think they want huff to take over those duties. . . he'll probably be moving around a lot, and i wouldn't be surprised if they use him to cover the slot as much as they can rather than taking a linebacker off the field to bring in their nickel. . . cutler will have to locate huff in his pre-snap reads. . . we didn't use that much motion against buffalo, and we may use a bit more this week to help jay identify coverages. . .

although they didn't have to cover for a lot of deep drops, i though our OL was solid in pass protection last week-- hopefully that will continue, but the fade's DL is a tougher challenge than buffalo. . . their ends aren't better, but the interior DL is. . . sapp can still cause problems, and tommy kelly will probably move inside on passing downs. . . lepsis looked pretty good against schobel last week, and will have to be equally sound against burgess-- he's more of a speed rusher who lacks schobel's powerful bull rush, and will test lepsis' ability to kick out quickly. . .

ryan does a good job mixing up his defensive fronts, and i expect them to try to confuse cutler with multiple fronts and a lot of pre-snap movement. . . i'm sure we'll see a lot of stacked lines, both with over and under fronts where one OLB lines up off the DE's hip, and 46 type looks with a safety in the box. . . they'll try to crowd the LOS to limit henry, and i'll be satisfied if we can get a workmanlike 100 yards out of him this week. . . terdell sands is a big dumptruck in the middle of the line, and tommy kelly (who moved out to DE this year) is a big base end. . . their LB are fast and come downhill quick-- kirk morrison is a beast in the running game, and thomas howard can blaze off the end (though he sometimes takes false steps and can overpursue-- could possibly open up a few cutback lanes). . . their LBs are big and physical, and fill hard against the run-- sapp's ability to take on blockers in the hole will be pivotal to our ability to establish a ground game. . .

i give it better than even odds that shenanigans has a reverse somewhere in his scripted plays-- i think we'll pop one on 'em early in an attempt to take advantage of their aggression, and slow that pursuit down a bit. . . we know walker runs very well in the open field, and pay attention if hixon comes in the game early at WR! we were very successful with the few screens we ran against buffalo, and i'd love to see us use a few more this week to get henry into space rather than banging him into stacked fronts all the time-- i've said for years now that we should run more screens to take advantage of our mobile linemen. . .

i still think lepsis and nalen are the heart of our running game. . . although he didn't look that powerful off the ball, i was pleased with myers' quickness and ability to get to the second level-- he needs to work on hitting moving targets a little more squarely, though. . . i'm not impressed at all with eric pears as a run blocker-- he doesn't look like a natural knee-bender, and he comes out of his stance too high and loses leverage, allowing DLs to get under his pads so he can't drive them back. . . i know he's tall, but he's got to find a way to come off the ball a little lower if he's going to be successful-- he does wall off nicely, though. . . with mustard back, we may see a few more two-TE power formations, particularly in short-yardage situations. . .

Really Dog....do we need a breakdown for this...it's really simple....

We win.
    They lose.

Nuff said.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Really Dog....do we need a breakdown for this...it's really simple....

We win.
    They lose.

Nuff said.

Good point Gem....

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default Weak link. . .

Great rundown df.

One comment. . .
    speaking of huff, cutler will have to be aware of him all the time-- they used to use charles woodson in a hybrid "rover" role and let him roam free in the secondary, and i think they want huff to take over those duties. . . he'll probably be moving around a lot, and i wouldn't be surprised if they use him to cover the slot as much as they can rather than taking a linebacker off the field to bring in their nickel.
    I suspect Mikey and Cutler will be looking to go at Huff. He has really struggled in pass coverage.

Since being drafted, he has started every game (18th today) and has 1 pass defensed and no interceptions.
    . . cutler will have to locate huff in his pre-snap reads. . . we didn't use that much motion against buffalo, and we may use a bit more this week to help jay identify coverages. .
    And this would be a great way to locate him and give Cutler the opportunity to take advantage of this area in Oak. secondary.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information