Fargas expects to see action against Bengals
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/14/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

His body is sore, his mind spinning with visions of a new playbook dancing in his head, but running back Justin Fargas couldn't be happier.

The veteran, who was on the practice field Wednesday for the first time with the Broncos, is hoping to get some work Sunday night in the team's preseason opener at Cincinnati.

"They're going to keep it pretty basic for me, things I can handle, but I'll continue to progress in the preseason," Fargas said Friday. "I do feel good, but it's different than just working out on your own. You have to get your body used to it. You've got some pain and soreness to work through, but you expect it."

With the Broncos not expected to take Knowshon Moreno (hamstring), Correll Buckhalter (neck/back) or LenDale White (left leg) on the trip because of injuries, they figure to start Lance Ball in the backfield.

Lately, Ball has gotten the most work with the starters, including some in Friday morning's practice. Fargas, as well as Bruce Hall, could be in the game fairly quickly.

Fargas, who had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee earlier this year and was released by the Raiders, worked out for several teams before signing with the Broncos. Fargas rushed for a career-best 1,009 yards for the Raiders in 2007, but the total dropped to 491 in 2009 as he split time with Darren McFadden and Michael Bush.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Fargas likely will play more on first- and second-down situations because pass protection responsibilities usually are the most difficult part of a new offense for a running back to learn.

"But he's working hard at it," McDaniels said. "We'll see how far he can push it between now and Sunday, and we'll play him accordingly."

Dress rehearsal.

The Broncos practiced at Invesco Field on Friday morning, in large part to indoctrinate new players about pregame duties, including where on the field each position group does pregame warm-ups and how the team gathers in the bench area.

The team also used the coach-to- player communication devices.

"Something you do once every camp," McDaniels said. "Talk about what we're gonna do at halftime, pregame, in the locker room, how we're gonna set up the benches. It's more of an organizational thing."

Still waiting.

McDaniels said the status of some injured players will be evaluated this morning before final decisions are made about who makes the trip.

But if players such as safety Brian Dawkins (right ankle) aren't healthy enough to play in the game, they won't travel. Dawkins, who has practiced sparingly in recent days, was planning on making the trip but did not practice Friday.

Footnotes.

Defensive lineman Ben Garland, a graduate of the Air Force Academy, was not at practice but is expected to make the trip. As part of his military obligations, Garland has to work one day a week — usually on Friday. . . . Tight end Marquez Branson, who suffered what appeared to be a serious leg injury earlier this week, returned to practice with his ankle heavily taped.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15774962