Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Star Wars to Blu Ray in 2011 PLUS Exclusive missing scene from Return of the Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Time to invest in a true HDTV then.
    This is priceless. I spent the last 10-15 minutes putting together my last post to help MO out, including digging up the Cnet article, to address the fallacy of True HD and difference between 720 and 1080, and in the meantime you post a "true HDTV" comment.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Time to invest in a true HDTV then.

I don't even have cable anymore. Football on the over the air is incredible looking, and movies are even better. I bet the HD service from DirectTV would look great.

A little off topic Mo, but have you heard the new stuff from Liam and Noel's solo projects yet? I think you were the one other Oasis fan here. I'm just going to combine some of each of their songs on one CD and make a new Oasis album.
    I am the other Oasis fan around. I haven't bought an album since Heathen Chemistry and that was six years ago I think. Still love to listen to Morning Glory and Be Here Now. Every other album has a few good songs and then a bunch of stuff that sounds the same, though the chances of you throwing on any random Oasis song from their first five albums or Mastermind and me knowing all the words is usually pretty good.

Noel was always the better song writer (Don't Look Back in Anger, Champagne Supernova) and he wrote the hooks for almost all the songs, and even played a lot of the instruments in the studio when they had pissed off various band members. So I'd be more likely to invest in an album by him than Liam, though I hadn't paid attention to either of them for a while, and was unaware of this. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

And I don't think I'll be spending the money on a new TV anytime soon, though I might buy a Blu-Ray and see if its worth it or not. My DVD player is getting old anyway.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    And I don't think I'll be spending the money on a new TV anytime soon, though I might buy a Blu-Ray and see if its worth it or not. My DVD player is getting old anyway.
    Just get a PS3, Mo. Two problems solved!

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I am the other Oasis fan around. I haven't bought an album since Heathen Chemistry and that was six years ago I think. Still love to listen to Morning Glory and Be Here Now. Every other album has a few good songs and then a bunch of stuff that sounds the same, though the chances of you throwing on any random Oasis song from their first five albums or Mastermind and me knowing all the words is usually pretty good.

Noel was always the better song writer (Don't Look Back in Anger, Champagne Supernova) and he wrote the hooks for almost all the songs, and even played a lot of the instruments in the studio when they had pissed off various band members. So I'd be more likely to invest in an album by him than Liam, though I hadn't paid attention to either of them for a while, and was unaware of this. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, Liams band is called Beady Eye and Noel has an album coming out soon (some singles are already out).

You can find a Bluray player for the cost of a DVD player, so I'd say its worth it. Then eventually when you invest in a better TV you will be all set with a nice little library of titles.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

So what is the consensus, MS and TNED on updating your DVD collection with remastered Blurays? I personally don't have a problem with just keeping my DVD collection while buying current movies in bluray, and then maybe getting the star wars set. I can understand the difference between dvd and bluray with a movie made in the last 5 years. But is it worth buying movies like Terminator and close encounter of the 3rd kind on bluray? Can you really make a movie shot in the 80's or 90's into true 1080p, or is it just bullshit with shiny wrappings?

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

And does anybody know if the Matrix and LOTR blurays are worth getting... basically are they true 1080p or are they what an upconvert DVD player would do with my existing movies.

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    So what is the consensus, MS and TNED on updating your DVD collection with remastered Blurays? I personally don't have a problem with just keeping my DVD collection while buying current movies in bluray, and then maybe getting the star wars set. I can understand the difference between dvd and bluray with a movie made in the last 5 years. But is it worth buying movies like Terminator and close encounter of the 3rd kind on bluray? Can you really make a movie shot in the 80's or 90's into true 1080p, or is it just bullshit with shiny wrappings?
    There is huge debate on various home theater related forums about that. If you don't have a HIGH end audio setup to take advantage of the better audio (I doubt 1 in 30 people could tell difference in A/B testing), then in many cases it comes down to remastering. If a they've done a good remaster job, then that can be worth it in and of itself.

A friend of mine just spent BIG dollars building a home theater room in his new house (it's in the basement with his bowling alley), and he's been spending a lot of time on AV related sites. It seems to be a real mixed bag, but more than anything else, a disc by disc decision as to whether the Blu Ray disc is significantly better,a dn in some cases, whether the Blu Ray is a worse transfer.

For instance, the start of Gladiator standard DVD where they try and create the "fog of war" has some digital artifacting and isn't a very pleasant visual scene. In these DVD v. Blu Ray discussions, many say that the greater detail of the Blu Ray version makes that artifacting even worse, and therefore they recommend the DVD version.

9. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    And does anybody know if the Matrix and LOTR blurays are worth getting... basically are they true 1080p or are they what an upconvert DVD player would do with my existing movies.
    For your first question, I don't go back and buy my old DVDs on Blu Ray except for all time favorites (Like Star Wars) or unless they have a good deal on them (picked up Blade Runner for $10 on Amazon).

And as Tned said, it all depends on the transfer for DVDS or Blu. 2k or 4k transfers are film quality and look absolutely incredible. One of the websites my company sells home theater equipment on (theaterseatstore.com SHAMELESS PLUG ) had me put up a pretty neat link to this that shows how important a good transfer is in terms of artifacting:http://screenshotcomparison.com/comp...8257/picture:3

Just hover over the image to see the BluRay transfer and how much better it looks.

11. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Well, I guess this is the place to post my review of the Star Wars Blu Rays after pouring over them the past few weeks.

Disc One: The Phantom Menace 7.5/10
    Still the weakest of the prequels, but one that has really grown on me over the years. The opening reveal of the Jedis (along with Liam Neeson melting away a blast door with his lightsaber) is some of my favorite imagery of the series. There are stretches of plot I could do without on Tattooine and with the Gunguns (I won't even mention Jar Jar, my son loves him right now) but the Pod Race and final lightsaber duel remain some of the best action set pieces of the saga.

Disco Two: Attack of the Clones 8.2/10
    The most unique entry in the entire saga in my opinion. I love how vivid the colors of the Coruscant chase and Geonosis arena pop in HD on this. My favorite character in the entire saga, Obi Wan, gets to flex his screen time a lot more in this with his own subplot on Kamino. The politics get a little interesting in this one finally, as we see how the emperor is pulling the strings of the Jedi, Separatists, and Senate. The corny love scenes I could do without, but the fight between Jango and Obi Wan and the final 30 minutes more than make up for it. People seem to really hate this one even more than Phantom, but I really dig the visual style and story here.

Disc Three: Revenge of the Sith 9.3/10
    Easily the best of the Prequels and the only Star Wars movie to garner a PG-13 rating, and for good reason. One great set-piece after another and the best pacing of the saga. From the "waterfall" spaceship opening battle, to Luke being delivered to Beru and Owen under the twin suns of Tattooine this is the closest in quality to the original trilogy and ties the two together nicely.

Disc Four: A New Hope 9.5/10
    The original and still the most imaginative of the bunch. The dumb Jabba and "Han Shot First" scenes aside, this is also the one that benefited the most from digital cleanup and additions. I especially like the new shots on the final X-Wing assault, and there is still satisfaction in seeing the Death Star get blowed the hell up.

Disc Five: The Empire Strikes Back 11/10
    Bringing in Irvin Kirschner to direct was probably the smartest thing Lucas could have ever done. All the Star Wars movies are good, but this is the closest to being a true classic in the sense of movies like Citizen Kane. The perfect mix of mythological motifs and stunning visuals, there is a reason this is considered universally to be the best Star Wars movie. The Battle of Hoth is still my favorite scene in all of the Saga.

Disc Six: Return of the Jedi 8.3/10
    It didn't strike me until after I watched these all back to back how much this has slid on my rankings since I was younger. Love the Jabba scenes and rescue, and the space battle is one of the best ever put to film. The whole ground battle on Endor just seems off the older I get though, but the stuff between the Emperor, Luke and Vader is still top notch.

Discs 7-9 Bonus Features: 10/10
    Archival artwork, deleted scenes, vintage making of specials, parodies (including Robot Chicken and Family Guy) - the list of incredible nerdgasms offered on the extras discs is overwhelming. The highlight of this particular set would be the deleted scenes from the original trilogy and a new documentary called Conversations with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years later. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to see everything these discs have to offer, and I even found an easter egg of the Boba Fett cartoon from the Holiday Special.

Overall: 9.7/10
    Great deal for Star Wars fans. The only drawback is that you have to buy the complete saga if you want the special features, so if you are not a fan of the prequels you are stuck with 3 movies you may not care for. I'm sure the Original and Prequel Trilogy boxsets are still fine, but it would have been nice to have the option to get the extras with them too. I'm not crazy about the artwork, but thats a minor complaint with the book-like setup of the inside of the packaging and how great these movies look.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information