Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars to Blu Ray in 2011 PLUS Exclusive missing scene from Return of the Jedi

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

next time link your damn source! I was trying to find the actual link to the article and couldn't because you didn't include it and i had to go hunting on google for it.

i provided the link below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/16/movies/16lucas.html

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    The video may be pulled soon from Youtube, so I apologize. Heres the story from the NY Times:

Though nearly 35 years of “Star Wars” fandom have yielded all kinds of memorabilia inspired by George Lucas’s outer-space epic, including light saber lookalikes and wearable replicas of Princess Leia’s slave costume, one holy grail has lately eluded fans: a video version of the “Star Wars” films that takes the fullest advantage of their top-of-the-line home theater systems.

That’s a Death Star-sized void that Lucasfilm plans to fill shortly. On Saturday, the studio is to announce that it will release all six live-action “Star Wars” features on Blu-ray DVD in fall 2011. A boxed set containing the Blu-ray versions of the movies, spanning from 1977’s “Star Wars” through the final 2005 prequel, “Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith,” will mark the first time the films have been offered in a high-definition home format, and will include documentary features and previously unseen footage.

Given Mr. Lucas’s exacting standards for film presentations (he founded the THX company) and Lucasfilm’s embrace of digital movie technology (digital projection was used for the theatrical release of all three “Star Wars” prequels, and the last two prequels were shot digitally), many fans expected that high-definition versions of the “Star Wars” features would soon follow.

But in a telephone interview, Mr. Lucas said he had been waiting to see if the Blu-ray format would be widely accepted by home viewers.

“We’ve been wanting to do it as soon as we possibly could, but we just wanted to do it when enough people would be able to buy it and see it,” Mr. Lucas said on Friday from the Star Wars Celebration V convention in Orlando, Fla.

When the original “Star Wars” movies were released on VHS in the early 1980s (along with other short-lived home video formats), Mr. Lucas said sales were slow to take off at first.

“We came out with ‘Star Wars’ right at the beginning of VHS,” he said, “and we sold 300,000 copies.” Within a few years, he added, “They were selling 1 million, 2 million, 10 million. So we learned from that experience that if you’re too early in the marketplace, there’s just not enough demand for it.”

In the case of Blu-ray, at least the potential for galactic-scale sales exists: a recent report by the media firm DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group said that nearly 2 million Blu-ray players were sold in the first half of 2010, an increase of 103 percent over last year, for a total of 19.4 million such devices in the U.S.

Mr. Lucas said the versions of the first three “Star Wars” films – “Star Wars,” “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi” – included in the Blu-ray boxed set will be the special-edition releases that were shown theatrically in 1997 and digitally restored for a 2004 standard-definition DVD boxed set.

Perhaps bracing for the reactions of fans who decried some of the changes made to the special-edition films – like, say, an exchange of gunfire between Han Solo and a certain green-skinned bounty hunter – Mr. Lucas said that to release the original versions of these films on Blu-ray was “kind of an oxymoron because the quality of the original is not very good.”

“You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally,” he added. “It’s a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version.”

And while some viewers might want the “Star Wars” Blu-ray release in time for this year’s Life Day – that is, the Wookiee holiday that roughly coincides with the start of the holiday shopping season – Mr. Lucas said a 2011 release was the earliest possible date. (The boxed set will be distributed by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment; Lucasfilm did not give pricing information or indicate if the films will also be sold individually.)

That, he said, was partly due to continuing work on the additional Blu-ray features, and partly to factors beyond his control.

“We’ve been working on them for quite a while,” Mr. Lucas said, “but still, there are pipelines. Unfortunately, the recent releases get priority over what we call the classic versions of things.”
    And the never before seen deleted scene:

2. The Following User High Fived Overtime For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

My bad. Was it really that hard to copy and paste the first sentence in Google?

In the future, I will post the link. We are supposed to do that anyway.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

well that's how I found it, but you get my drift, ya knucklehead.

5. The Following User High Fived Overtime For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

I think my biggest issues with the special editions are:

Star Wars:
    -The Jabba and Han scene. Unnecessary and horribly rendered.
    You do realize that Lucas actually filmed that scene for the original release in '77? No? Oh dear.

Originally Jabba was a scruffy, rotund human, but during editing Lucas decided he wanted something more alien than he could put in the movie with the tech of the time; so he dropped that scene.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by The Glue Factory View Post
    You do realize that Lucas actually filmed that scene for the original release in '77? No? Oh dear.

Originally Jabba was a scruffy, rotund human, but during editing Lucas decided he wanted something more alien than he could put in the movie with the tech of the time; so he dropped that scene.
    I am the biggest Star Wars Geek here, so yes actually I did know that. Thats why it looked so awful when Han stepped on Jabba's tail because he was originally walking around and behind the actor who played him. And yes, I consider both the 1997 CG Jabba in the scene AND the 2004 redo of the Jabba bad renders. He should of just left that particular scene cut, maybe added in the sandstorm scene or Biggs Darklighter stuff if it was still usable.

EDIT: Make that SECOND biggest Star Wars Geek. Lord Trychon actually writes fan fiction.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

In my defense, it's very mediocre fan fiction.

Wait... what?
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived LordTrychon For This Post:

I am the biggest Star Wars Geek here, so yes actually I did know that. Thats why it looked so awful when Han stepped on Jabba's tail because he was originally walking around and behind the actor who played him. And yes, I consider both the 1997 CG Jabba in the scene AND the 2004 redo of the Jabba bad renders. He should of just left that particular scene cut, maybe added in the sandstorm scene or Biggs Darklighter stuff if it was still usable.

EDIT: Make that SECOND biggest Star Wars Geek. Lord Trychon actually writes fan fiction.
    I know. I absolutely HATED that scene when they added it in. It looks terrible, it makes the movie that much cheesier, and really contributes nothing to the film. Should have been left out, and NEVER edited back in. Other than Binks, one of the worst choices in the star wars sextuplet.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

I'm a pretty big Star Wars geek too, I have to say. Was one of the first 100 people to beta Star Wars Galaxies. Spent a couple of years on those boards pre-release just trying to make sure it felt like Star Wars. My first memory of a movie in a theater is the AT-AT dropping a large foot on Luke's speeder. I was 5.

I still don't know if I'll drop the cash for these, though. Or rather, I'm sure I WILL drop the cash for them, but maybe not right when they're released. It's not like I can't see them already. They're just less pretty. I'll pretend I'm hung over when I watch em and that's why the picture's not all shiny, yeah...

And Han will always shoot first, no matter how many times Lucas redoes the scene.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

12. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    I'm a pretty big Star Wars geek too, I have to say. Was one of the first 100 people to beta Star Wars Galaxies. Spent a couple of years on those boards pre-release just trying to make sure it felt like Star Wars. My first memory of a movie in a theater is the AT-AT dropping a large foot on Luke's speeder. I was 5.

I still don't know if I'll drop the cash for these, though. Or rather, I'm sure I WILL drop the cash for them, but maybe not right when they're released. It's not like I can't see them already. They're just less pretty. I'll pretend I'm hung over when I watch em and that's why the picture's not all shiny, yeah...

And Han will always shoot first, no matter how many times Lucas redoes the scene.

~G
    How did they get the AT-ATs through the planetary shields? I never could figure that one out.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    How did they get the AT-ATs through the planetary shields? I never could figure that one out.
    Must've just been an energy shield.

Remember they couldn't attack the vent on the Death Star with lasers?
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

15. The Following User High Fived LordTrychon For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    Must've just been an energy shield.

Remember they couldn't attack the vent on the Death Star with lasers?
    Same reason they just didn't bomb the shield bunker from orbit in Return of the Jedi.

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Well I dropped the $80 at Amazon for the Blu-Ray collection and I love it. I'm watching them in order I-VI. I just finished Episode V and the picture and sound are stunning. I love Star Wars, bet you never would have guessed.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

I got it from my birthday.

20. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

So, this is worth getting?

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    So, this is worth getting?
    I'd say so. I picked mine up at Best Buy for $80, and when you figure the movies alone would be around $25 each in Blu Ray its already a great deal, then you throw in 40+ hours of deleted scenes and bonus footage (with documentaries) its a steal.

I started with the bonus discs, the deleted scenes are really interesting especially for the original trilogy. Stuff I had only ever seen pictures of, like the Sand Storm scene in Return of the Jedi. All of the deleted scenes have scratches, unfinished effects, and some are even in black and white giving them a retro charm. The documentaries are great (all original documentaries from the 70's and 80's, plus a few new ones including Star Warriors about the charity work the 501st Legion does and their inclusion in the Rose Bowl Parade in 2007).

Each movie looks fantastic and they really cleaned up the color on the original films. Each film also features two commentary tracks (one regular commentary track, and one with archived interviews from actors and people who worked on the films). I've watched almost all of them with my son and he is loving them, especially Attack of the Clones because Yoda is his favorite. Started with the originals and am actually watching Revenge of the Sith right now. I think if you like Star Wars, you will like this set.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information