Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben McDaniels charts own course to be Broncos' QB coach

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Who cares - we all know that Coach McD has much more sayso when it comes to the QB's at this time than Ben does. What's wrong with Coach McD giving his brother a break??????????

did i say there was something wrong with it carol?
    did i say he's a suck coach who shouldnt be here?

no i only said i wouldnt call the fact he is only coaching in the pros because his brother hired him "charting his own course"

now if you cant handle that opinion...your a little to sensitive

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho2 View Post
    did i say there was something wrong with it carol?
    did i say he's a suck coach who shouldnt be here?

no i only said i wouldnt call the fact he is only coaching in the pros because his brother hired him "charting his own course"

now if you cant handle that opinion...your a little to sensitive
    The following is from the article - funny how people get different things out of Ben stating "he needed to chart his own path"!!!!

Whereas Josh McDaniels found his way onto an NFL coaching staff after one season as a graduate assistant for Nick Saban at Michigan State, Ben McDaniels said he needed to chart his own path.

After finishing up his playing career as a quarterback at Kent State — where he played for former Patriots assistant coach Dean Pees — Ben McDaniels, degree in hand, went to coach receivers at Warren Harding High School for a year. He followed that with two years as a graduate assistant at the University of Minnesota, a time when the team had Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber at running back.
    "I think at that point, after Minnesota, I knew I wanted to coach, and I knew Josh was in the league at that point, but I still was really trying to find my own way," Ben said. "So I went back to Ohio, coached another couple of years, and that was good for me, and then really decided I wanted to challenge myself and coach at the highest level I could."

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Who cares - we all know that Coach McD has much more sayso when it comes to the QB's at this time than Ben does. What's wrong with Coach McD giving his brother a break??????????
    McDaniels cant do it all.

We have a puppet OC, puppet QB coach, an CFL line coach, and a crappy RB coach. I would think he would try... TRY to hire someone somewhat qualified to ease his responsibilities on one individual position, so he would have more overall time to devote to the TEAM.

We have far more unknowns and question marks than we have known positives. Why add more unknowns? Why not add some positives. Its like this team is being ran by the US government.

Thats my issue.
    Last edited by claymore; 08-18-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

4. The Following User High Fived claymore For This Post:

yes they probably got a break because they were from a known coaching family..true

but none were just handed a coaching job from outa nowhere as ben was
    they all were given a chance and worked their way up

they all started as assistants...moved up...worked hard and made a name for themselfs..they didnt use their name or have thier fathers pull them from the high school ranks

do you think kyle would be coaching pros, or college somewhere if his dad didnt hire him?...absalutly

kiffen?...yes

bates?...more than likely

ben mcdanials?....nope!! he'd still be coaching for his fathers highschool team

bens
    I'm not seeing where Ben was just handed a job he was unqualified for. He worked as a graduate assistant at a Big 10 school and then ended up back in the elite high school ranks for a couple years until his brother brought him up to be an offensive assistant on Denver's staff. That's the same path, family connections included, that Kyle Shanahan took to the NFL minus the additional experience in the high school ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post

We have a puppet OC, puppet QB coach, an CFL line coach, and a crappy RB coach. I would think he would try... TRY to hire someone somewhat qualified to ease his responsibilities on one individual position, so he would have more overall time to devote to the TEAM.
    - Our OC is Mike McCoy. He job is very much like what Kubiak did in the early Shanahan days. He handles alot of the game-planning duties during the week, assists with the quarterback coaching and on gameday is essentially the middle man between the play caller (Josh) and the assistants watching the game from the booth.

- Ben McDaniels is the QB coach. He knows how Josh trains his quarterbacks because he learned the say way from his father. This means that Josh can delegate specific tasks to Ben while he is free to focus on other parts of the line.

- Clancy Barone is our OL coach. The "CFL coach" you're talking about is Bob Wylie. He is Barone's assistant and to go along with his time in the CFL, he also has 15 years of NFL experience.

- Please explain why Eric Studesville is a "crappy" RB coach.
    Last edited by Bosco; 08-18-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typo

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Bosco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

again whos whining about it...its a simple statment about ben "charting his own course" that got a bunch of peoples granny panties in a knot

i am simply saying i think the only reason he is coaching in the pros and not still a assistant HS coach is because of his brother ...thats a far cry from charting your own course

if people take exception to that...cant help them

never said he might not become a capable coach or an asset
    And I didn't say you were making a deal about it. Just taking the opportunity to put my 2 cents in by responding to your question.

He could very well be in HS. Then again he may have moved to a college position somewhere as well. It's hard to say what would have happened. I don't have a problem with it as long as it doesn't hurt the team (as it seemed to do with Shanahan.)

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

We have far more unknowns and question marks than we have known positives. Why add more unknowns?
    So you'd rather the knowns of Shanahan and Coyer? Or can we agree that the unkowns of McDaniels and his decisions are better than the knowns of the former?

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    I'm not seeing where Ben was just handed a job he was unqualified for. He worked as a graduate assistant at a Big 10 school and then ended up back in the elite high school ranks for a couple years until his brother brought him up to be an offensive assistant on Denver's staff. That's the same path, family connections included, that Kyle Shanahan took to the NFL minus the additional experience in the high school ranks.

- Our OC is Mike McCoy. He job is very much like what Kubiak did in the early Shanahan days. He handles alot of the game-planning duties during the week, assists with the quarterback coaching and on gameday is essentially the middle man between the play caller (Josh) and the assistants watching the game from the booth.

- Ben McDaniels is the QB coach. He knows how Josh trains his quarterbacks because he learned the say way from his father. This means that Josh can delegate specific tasks to Ben while he is free to focus on other parts of the line.

- Clancy Barone is our OL coach. The "CFL coach" you're talking about is Bob Wylie. He is Barone's assistant and to go along with his time in the CFL, he also has 15 years of NFL experience.

- Please explain why Eric Studesville is a "crappy" RB coach.
    I missed the Barone promotion.

Our RB coach is crappy because Tiki Barbers fumbles got worse during his tenure, and got better when he left. JMO.

No faith in the guy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by The Glue Factory View Post
    So you'd rather the knowns of Shanahan and Coyer? Or can we agree that the unkowns of McDaniels and his decisions are better than the knowns of the former?
    Neither of those situations are Ideal. But I would most definitley have Shanahan over McD.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Hi Clay.

14. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Neither of those situations are Ideal. But I would most definitley have Shanahan over McD.

You'd rather the Shanahan that drafted so much defensive talent that when all but two of the starters were cut not a one is a starter in the NFL after 2 years? The same Shanahan who endorsed a DC that presided over one of the worst late season collapses by an NFL team in, oh gee, the HISTORY of the NFL.

I'll take our current situation over our previous any day.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

You'd rather the Shanahan that drafted so much defensive talent that when all but two of the starters were cut not a one is a starter in the NFL after 2 years? The same Shanahan who endorsed a DC that presided over one of the worst late season collapses by an NFL team in, oh gee, the HISTORY of the NFL.

I cant think of a single McD pick that is a lock for a roster spot in a couple years. His drafts look to be worse, and he is an unproven coach to boot.

Give me Mikey.

Our RB coach is crappy because Tiki Barbers fumbles got worse during his tenure, and got better when he left. JMO.

No faith in the guy.
    You're incorrect though. While the sheer number of fumbles went up, so did Tiki's workload. Here are the ratio breakdowns (touches between fumbles). The numbers in orange are withe Studesville on staff.

1999 - 25.6
    2000 - 31.4
    2001 - 29.75
    2002 - 41.44
    2003 - 38.55

As you can see, there was a dip there in Studesville's first year but then the numbers increased significantly in the 2nd and 3rd years and that trend continued until the end of Barber's career. He's also done pretty well with Willis McGahee, Ron Dayne, Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson.

All in all, the guy has built a very impressive resume in less than a decade's worth of work.
    Last edited by Bosco; 08-18-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo

18. The Following User High Fived Bosco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    You're incorrect though. While the sheer number of fumbles went up, so did Tiki's workload. Here are the ratio breakdowns (touches between fumbles). The numbers is orange are withe Studesville on staff.

1999 - 25.6
    2000 - 31.4
    2001 - 29.75
    2002 - 41.44
    2003 - 38.55

As you can see, there was a dip there in Studesville's first year but then the numbers increased significantly in the 2nd and 3rd years and that trend continued until the end of Barber's career. He's also done pretty well with Willis McGahee, Ron Dayne, Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson.

All in all, the guy has built a very impressive resume in less than a decade's worth of work.
    why would we want someone that can actually coach on the staff .. it is beyond my belief.

weird how that is, seeing that 08-09 we ended up 8-8 and

in week 11 we were

08.....6-4....under shanny

09.....6-4....under josh

going into the stretch we were

7-5 in 08 and finished 1-3 under shanny

8-4 in 09 and finished 0-4 under josh

i'd kinda like to aurgue the point josh losing the last 4 games was a bigger late season collapse than shannys 1-3

also considering the fact josh started off 6-0 and finished 2-8

joshes collapse was much bigger, shannys collapse was more highlighted because the bolts sucked so bad also allowing the broncos to lose the west title in the last game

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    why would we want someone that can actually coach on the staff .. it is beyond my belief.

i guess thats why josh allowed a guy widely considered the best rbs coach in the game to walk huh

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information