Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben McDaniels charts own course to be Broncos' QB coach

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    NEITHER WAS BEN

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/co...e-04fe516b282c

McDaniels worked for the University of Minnesota as a graduate assistant under Head Coach Glen Mason from 2004-05. The Golden Gophers posted a 7-5 record and earned a berth in the Music City Bowl during each of those two seasons with McDaniels working with the wide receivers in 2004 and the defensive backs in 2005.

While at Minnesota in 2005, McDaniels was part of its team that recaptured the “Little Brown Jug” with a victory over the University of Michigan. The last-second road win marked the Golden Gophers’ first victory against Michigan since 1986 in one of college football’s oldest rivalries.

ben coached two yrs as a graduate assistant...

then back to the high school ranks...meaning no paid position as a assistant coach was offered...kyle went from GA to a nfl assistant coach

and yes ben was picked up straight from a high school coaching job into the nfl...matter of fact he was an assistant under another relative... his father

it doesnt have to offend you all so much...but the fact is.... far from "charting his own course" ben would in all likelyhood still be coaching assistant under his father if his brother didnt elevate him tenfold

2. The Following User High Fived arapaho2 For This Post:

They are "like examples". They all used family connections to get their foot in the door. Josh and Kyle's career paths are strikingly similar to date.

Josh - Used his dad's friendship with Nick Saban to get a graduate assistant position on his staff. Parlayed Saban's friendship with Belichick into a similar role with the Patriots.

Kyle - Used his dad's friendship with Karl Dorrell (former receivers coach here in Denver) to get a GA spot on UCLA's staff and then moved on to a job in the pros with another friend of his dad's, Jon Gruden.

Jeremy Bates and Ben McDaniels also followed pretty similar career paths. They were both Division I quarterbacks in college and didn't get into the coaching ranks for a couple years after they graduated. The only difference is that Jeremy started out in the pros where his dad was a highly respected DC while Ben coached high school football before taking a GA role at Minnesota where he was going to school at the time.

Again, this really isn't uncommon in football or life in general.

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho2 View Post
    ben would in all likelyhood still be coaching assistant under his father if his brother didnt elevate him tenfold
    And like I said, so would Kyle Shanahan, Jeremy Bates, and Lane Kiffin.

5. The Following User High Fived Bosco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    They are "like examples". They all used family connections to get their foot in the door. Josh and Kyle's career paths are strikingly similar to date.

Josh - Used his dad's friendship with Nick Saban to get a graduate assistant position on his staff. Parlayed Saban's friendship with Belichick into a similar role with the Patriots.

Kyle - Used his dad's friendship with Karl Dorrell (former receivers coach here in Denver) to get a GA spot on UCLA's staff and then moved on to a job in the pros with another friend of his dad's, Jon Gruden.

Jeremy Bates and Ben McDaniels also followed pretty similar career paths. They were both Division I quarterbacks in college and didn't get into the coaching ranks for a couple years after they graduated. The only difference is that Jeremy started out in the pros where his dad was a highly respected DC while Ben coached high school football before taking a GA role at Minnesota where he was going to school at the time.

Again, this really isn't uncommon in football or life in general.

i agree josh and kyles history is common

however bens isnt ....

and again when your brother yanks you out of nowhere...from a HS assistant..straight to the pros...thats hardly "charting your own course"

its more of " thank God my brother is the head coach of a professional team or i'd be stuck in ohio coaching HS as my career"

i would say josh is a much better exapmple of a prospective coach charting his own path

And like I said, so would Kyle Shanahan, Jeremy Bates, and Lane Kiffin.

kyles brother never hired him? gruden did

bates started as a assistant ...also under gruden...for the bucs....his
    father coached defense for the fins

kiffin started in the college ranks for schools like fresno..colo..usc a year with the jags...8 years total in college (1 pro) before getting the raiders job...all while his father coached in tampa

i fail to see how any of the three were pulled from nowhere straight into the pros by a sibling or parent???

kyles brother never hired him? gruden did

bates started as a assistant ...also under gruden...for the bucs....his
    father coached defense for the fins

kiffin started in the college ranks for schools like fresno..colo..usc a year with the jags...8 years total in college (1 pro) before getting the raiders job...all while his father coached in tampa

i fail to see how any of the three were pulled from nowhere straight into the pros by a sibling or parent???
    The point is all of them got breaks in life thanks to being part of football families. As for Ben, he put in his time as a graduate assistant. Sure, he went back into the high school ranks after that, but so what? When Josh hired him he did another stint as an offensive assistant before getting bumped up to quarterbacks coach where he is effectively another assistant to Josh and Mike McCoy.

9. The Following User High Fived Bosco For This Post:

The point is all of them got breaks in life thanks to being part of football families. As for Ben, he put in his time as a graduate assistant. Sure, he went back into the high school ranks after that, but so what? When Josh hired him he did another stint as an offensive assistant before getting bumped up to quarterbacks coach where he is effectively another assistant to Josh and Mike McCoy.

yes they probably got a break because they were from a known coaching family..true

but none were just handed a coaching job from outa nowhere as ben was
    they all were given a chance and worked their way up

they all started as assistants...moved up...worked hard and made a name for themselfs..they didnt use their name or have thier fathers pull them from the high school ranks

do you think kyle would be coaching pros, or college somewhere if his dad didnt hire him?...absalutly

kiffen?...yes

bates?...more than likely

ben mcdanials?....nope!! he'd still be coaching for his fathers highschool team

bens

Is there anything people won't whine about?

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

are you whining about people ?

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Ben McDaniels will save Tebows career.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

I think they're whining about what us mere mortals call networking. Ordinary people day in and day out use their contacts to get jobs. Most, if not all, job change coaching firms teach networking as the way to get a job at a company. Sometimes you even have a position created for you by networking.

I just don't understand why so many people whine about it at the Broncos when it hasn't shown itself to be a bad thing (like it seemed to be with Shanahan.)

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Nope, simply making an observation.

18. The Following User High Fived Mike For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Nope, simply making an observation.

as am i, about ben

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

yes they probably got a break because they were from a known coaching family..true

but none were just handed a coaching job from outa nowhere as ben was
    they all were given a chance and worked their way up

they all started as assistants...moved up...worked hard and made a name for themselfs..they didnt use their name or have thier fathers pull them from the high school ranks

do you think kyle would be coaching pros, or college somewhere if his dad didnt hire him?...absalutly

kiffen?...yes

bates?...more than likely

ben mcdanials?....nope!! he'd still be coaching for his fathers highschool team

bens
    Who cares - we all know that Coach McD has much more sayso when it comes to the QB's at this time than Ben does. What's wrong with Coach McD giving his brother a break??????????

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by The Glue Factory View Post
    I think they're whining about what us mere mortals call networking. Ordinary people day in and day out use their contacts to get jobs. Most, if not all, job change coaching firms teach networking as the way to get a job at a company. Sometimes you even have a position created for you by networking.

I just don't understand why so many people whine about it at the Broncos when it hasn't shown itself to be a bad thing (like it seemed to be with Shanahan.)

again whos whining about it...its a simple statment about ben "charting his own course" that got a bunch of peoples granny panties in a knot

i am simply saying i think the only reason he is coaching in the pros and not still a assistant HS coach is because of his brother ...thats a far cry from charting your own course

if people take exception to that...cant help them

never said he might not become a capable coach or an asset

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information