Thread: Any decent android phones on AT&T?

Default Any decent android phones on AT&T?

It seems that AT&T has been lagging in the android market. I hate my Tilt II and have been waiting the point where I could upgrade, and I just checked and I could.

So, are any of the ATT androids good? Are there any coming to AT&T that I should wait for?

I don't think I can do the Iphone thing, as there are too many apps I use that just don't seem to have equivalents on the Iphone, but do exist for android.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

They have a new touch-screen Blackberry coming out and of course you have I-phone...

Personally I love Blackberry.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    They have a new touch-screen Blackberry coming out and of course you have I-phone...

Personally I love Blackberry.
    Last time I checked, some of the things I do on my phone wouldn't be supported on blackberry --- remote desktop, SSH, etc.

I think at &t has one called the captivate by samsung in its new line of galaxy s phonesits awesome I have its version on t mobile called the vibrant 1ghz speed 16 gb internal mem just a really great phone I love mine
    ------
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    ------

Thanks. I'll check it out. I've checked around enough to know it's probably their best phone. Have to decide if I can live without a keyboard.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

T - I got the Droid in part because it had a physical keyboard. I used it for all of two, maybe three days. I NEVER use it now. It wasn't that difficult to acclimate to, so try it out as much as you can before you make a decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

7. The Following User High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    T - I got the Droid in part because it had a physical keyboard. I used it for all of two, maybe three days. I NEVER use it now. It wasn't that difficult to acclimate to, so try it out as much as you can before you make a decision.
    I have a Tilt2 and use the physical keyboard about 90/10 to the virtual one. A coworker that has the Droid with Verizon is the same as me, almost always uses the physical.

Do you use it much to post on here, text, email, etc? Where you are doing more than just "k", "thx" and other short stuff?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I have a Tilt2 and use the physical keyboard about 90/10 to the virtual one. A coworker that has the Droid with Verizon is the same as me, almost always uses the physical.

Do you use it much to post on here, text, email, etc? Where you are doing more than just "k", "thx" and other short stuff?
    Oh yeah. I don't email a whole ton, just because I tend to get a bit verbose at times, but I am not a short texter either. I eschew abbreviations, and regularly go over 160 characters in texts.

I do post on the Forums a decent amount, but on the regular site format, as I don't like the mobile one. It doesn't keep me from posting too much, unless there's something large I want to say....but even then, I wouldn't do so with the physical keyboard either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

10. The Following User High Fived frauschieze For This Post:

Oh yeah. I don't email a whole ton, just because I tend to get a bit verbose at times, but I am not a short texter either. I eschew abbreviations, and regularly go over 160 characters in texts.

I do post on the Forums a decent amount, but on the regular site format, as I don't like the mobile one. It doesn't keep me from posting too much, unless there's something large I want to say....but even then, I wouldn't do so with the physical keyboard either.
    I've also been reading about Windows Mobile 7, which sounds like a complete redesign, but one thing they appear to not allow (just like Iphone until recent OS4) is multitasking/background apps, which is a must for some of the stuff I do with phones -- apps I run. So, I think it's Android or bust for me. So, I might get the Captiva and try it for a few weeks, since AT&T gives a money back on it. I did read a couple bad reviews, mostly about battery life I think. If I don't like it, I'll return it and wait for the next round of phones, hopefully Droid II, to hit AT&T later in the year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I knew that as soon as I bought a droid they'd come out with a new one, but I don't really need most of the upgrades anyway. I'm happy with my Motorola w/ qwerty. I need the keyboard or I'm lost. As long as I can surf the net, check email and not drop calls I'm happy.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the AT&T network though, is there any particular reason you're tied to that?

13. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I got the Hero on Sprint when I got back from this last deployment. I'll never buy a phone with keys again. I got used to the touch screen in about a day and love it.

The droid phones are the best on the market right now IMO. I don't know what AT&T has, but I know the Droid II and the X are outstanding, as is the Evo. Evo is probably the best phone out there right now.

All my friends have Iphones, I use them every now and then and hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I knew that as soon as I bought a droid they'd come out with a new one, but I don't really need most of the upgrades anyway. I'm happy with my Motorola w/ qwerty. I need the keyboard or I'm lost. As long as I can surf the net, check email and not drop calls I'm happy.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the AT&T network though, is there any particular reason you're tied to that?
    One it's what our corporate plan is on, and two, we haven't been able to switch because the only other game in town is Altell/Verizon, which has trailed badly in international support.

Until recently, they didn't even offer an international roaming option, but suggested a company where you could rent a phone for international travel. I spend at least a month a year out of the country (as do a number of other people that I work with), so good, and reasonably priced, international call/data roaming is a must.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Makes sense, when I went to Italy I just didn't use my phone because it wouldn't have been cost effective. Got by on skype & email. But if you're trying to do business that's not really practicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Makes sense, when I went to Italy I just didn't use my phone because it wouldn't have been cost effective. Got by on skype & email. But if you're trying to do business that's not really practicle.
    Yea, we try and limit calls, because it isn't cheap, it's like US roaming in the old days, but do send some SMS, and rely heavily on data (email, web, etc.).

While not overly cheap, AT&T have a number of unlimited or limited data plans for Int. travel, to the point where I have to reduce my email check frequency, but otherwise not alter my usage patterns (I have 7 email accounts that I check via my mobile).

FWIW Blackberry has an AP called smscrunch or crunchSMS. it allows you to use as many characters as you want and it divides up the message into SMS size limits and sends them for you.

Love it for texting when I do it. Most of the time I use the BBM BB messenger which has no size limits and is encrypted on their network. It is not traceable or viewable like text messages are to law enforcement. IF that is a big thing for you.

You might want to check SMScrunch out and see if they have an app for your smart phone.

19. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information