Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ayers stands tall as legitimate pro

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Ayers stands tall as legitimate pro

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15708312

Early in Saturday evening's public practice at Invesco Field, Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton dropped back to pass on third-and-4 from his 28.

Second-year linebacker Robert Ayers steamed around left tackle D'Anthony Batiste, reached Orton and pulled up. If he'd had a lawn chair, he would have had time to set it up, have a seat and possibly pour himself a beverage.

Ignoring this unexpected spectator, Orton found Jabar Gaffney on a crossing pattern in front of safety Renaldo Hill for a first down. The crowd of more than 20,000 cheered.

A few moments before, on a goal-line series from the 1 1/2-yard line, the Broncos tried each of their available backs, running behind tight ends lined up as fullbacks. On five running plays to Lance Ball (two), Bruce Hall (two) and Toney Baker (one), none of them sniffed the goal line. Each time I looked at the fallen back to figure out which one it was, Ayers seemed to be standing over him.

When I mentioned to coach Josh McDaniels afterward that it looked as if the former first-round draft pick from Tennessee would have had a couple of sacks if they were permitted, he nodded.

"And he dominated the entire goal-line period," McDan- iels said. "He's a totally different player. We're proud of him, because we told him at the beginning of the offseason it's time for him to take a step from being a rookie to being the type of player we thought he could be.

"He had a great offseason program, and he started training camp well. We keep telling him, 'You started it well, now we've got to finish it. We've got to go into the season playing the same way.' But he's doing the physical things that we thought he could do and really dominating the edge."

Ayers already had been penciled in as the likely starter at outside linebacker opposite Elvis Dumervil, but when last year's NFL sack leader went down with a potentially season-ending injury to a pectoral muscle, Ayers' development became a critical component of the Broncos' defense.

"No matter what I do, I'm not going to be able to replace Elvis," Ayers said when practice was over. "He's a great player, a great leader. And no one can come and replace a great player and a great leader.

"All I'm going to try to do is help this team win and try to make him proud.

"I talked to him and I told him, 'I'm going to do everything I can to make you proud, and the rest of the team is going to do the same thing.' "

On a team in search of playmakers on both sides of the ball, the most encouraging aspect of Saturday night's stadium practice was the play of Ayers on defense and rookie Demaryius Thomas on offense, even if Thomas had to limp off after coming down awkwardly on his left foot following one of two touchdown catches.

But while the quest for offensive playmakers has been going on at least since Brandon Marshall was traded, the attempt to compensate for the loss of Dumervil has just begun.

A big season from Ayers, who was mostly a disappointment as a rookie, would go a long way toward helping fill the hole Dumervil's injury leaves.

"This time a year ago, I wasn't even practicing," Ayers said. "I was still trying to work out my contract. So it's good to be here and start from the beginning with everybody else and build from the first day on. It's a big difference. I'm not a rookie anymore. I feel more comfortable being a pro."

As for holding down the action-edge position Dumervil left open, Ayers considers it his.

"My mind-set after the season, when OTAs (organized team activities) started, I set a goal that I was going to be the starter and I never looked back," he said.

"I've always felt like I was the starter ever since the end of last season. That's not a goal of mine anymore. I know I'm the starter. Even when Elvis was here, I knew I was a starter and I just tried to build and keep getting better. I definitely want to establish myself as a great player. I want to be amongst the elite."

Practice, of course, is only practice. As McDaniels pointed out, Ayers needs to follow through on his strong start. So think of Saturday's showcase as a preview of coming attractions. Before the season is over, the Broncos hope to see him standing over a lot of offensive players.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 16 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

we need him to be all Mayock said he would be, only 1 year early..

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

sounds good to me .

I saw him several times last year right there in the QB area just as Doom was getting the sack. had doom not been a fraction of a second faster Ayers would have gotten it.

It sounds like we have another keeper in fact because he can also really play OLB in more than ONE dimension maybe even better than Doom overall.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Ayers stands tall as legitimate pro. . . in practice.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Ayers stands tall as legitimate pro. . . in practice.
    negative nanny

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

i have no keen eye for this but he looked alright to me last year too.. an impoved front 3 will make a huge dfference..

9. The Following User High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

rob ayers leads the league in sacks this year. next year we get the two league leaders in sacks the last two years on the field at the same time. woot

Will someone tell me what having the sack leader last year did for us.

Maybe I missed something, but in the last few games they were running our butts into the ground.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

dooms is one dementional, ayers is not. he actually will pancake an offensive linemen, dooms is just a sack master. when we finally get both of them on the field it will be scary, the DL is whats gonna stuff the run this year. thats where it all starts.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post

Maybe I missed something, but in the last few games they were running our butts into the ground.
    It gave us a better shot than not having the sack leader.

(I also would have accepted - we had more sacks than if we didn't have the sack leader, it caused more pressure on the opposing QB, it gave our defense an advantage that they wouldn't have without him, etc.)
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

14. The Following User High Fived LordTrychon For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by TimTebow15MVP View Post
    dooms is one dementional, ayers is not. he actually will pancake an offensive linemen, dooms is just a sack master. when we finally get both of them on the field it will be scary, the DL is whats gonna stuff the run this year. thats where it all starts.
    Disagree. Ayers was'nt a pass rusher in college and he's done nothing to date to be considered one now. He's as one dimensional as Doom is until he proves otherwise.

16. The Following User High Fived Skinny For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post

Gave us a legitimate pass rush.

Yw.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Skinny For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Gave us a legitimate pass rush.

Yw.
    That won how many games?

IMHO all it did was cost us a ton of money to resign him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

JR's always gotta have a whipping boy. First Shanny, then Jay, then Marshall. Now that they are all gone it's Dumervil. You never cease to amuse me JR.

21. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Watch the games from last year again. It's a legit statement to say Ayers seemed to be one step slow on a ton of plays. If he improves that one step this year with a stronger DL, I think he'll be just fine. If he gets 8-10 sacks and can actually tackle a RB...it's a bonus.

23. The Following 5 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information