Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010-2011 College Football Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

It looks like the MWC will be losing another team! BYU will announce they are going independent starting the 2011 season!!

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...e-in-football/

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Looks like MWC will invite Fresno St and Nevada to join in!! Those are two solid programs but with Utah and BYU leaving, I'd be surprised if the MWC would get an automatic BCS bid.....sorry Boise St!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5474774

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    It looks like the MWC will be losing another team! BYU will announce they are going independent starting the 2011 season!!

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...e-in-football/
    wow.....college football will sure be different in 2011....with conference setups etc..........not so sure I like it.......I like the "tradition" of college football...........but hope it will be for the better.

GO BUCKS!!!
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
    3.Any team that plays Michigan
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates
    5.Oklahoma Lady Sooners Basketball Team

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

One more small step towards a Big XII with Notre Dame and BYU replacing Nebraska and Colorado. The key is independant tv contracts like Texas and Oklahoma are arranging for themselves. What ND and BYU bring to the table are national/international fan followings because of their church affiliations, assuring national tv coverage.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    One more small step towards a Big XII with Notre Dame and BYU replacing Nebraska and Colorado. The key is independant tv contracts like Texas and Oklahoma are arranging for themselves. What ND and BYU bring to the table are national/international fan followings because of their church affiliations, assuring national tv coverage.
    BYU left the MWC because of tv issues. Why would they want to go to a conference where Texas wants/is king and compete with them. I don't see ND or BYU going to the Big 12 or aka the SWC because of tv issues and them not wanting to share.

Here's a pretty good article of why BYU did leave!!

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2010/8/...n-to-byu-going
    Last edited by Nomad; 08-19-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

You're not seeing the big picture. BYU and ND, because of their church affiliations, have national followings. Texas and Oklahoma want independant tv deals for their own networks where they will air coaches shows, historic games, etc.

Basically, the Big XII can offer to BYU and ND what they offer to UT and OU - the right to make their own tv deals. The Big XII can offer matchups of national appeal where the major sports (football, basketball and maybe baseball) these teams have an alliance and are free to pursue their own agreements for the lesser sports.

The Big 10 can't offer them that. Neither can the Pac-10 or the SEC. But the Big XII can if it wants to survive with UT and OU.

South Bend IND is as close to Texas as it is the East Coast and Provo UT isn't that much more of a trip than Boulder plus BYU had games last year in Dallas (against OU) and against TCU - so they're already open to playing in Texas. Throw in the new four-year agreement between ND and UT for football, and you can see the pieces start to come together.

Right now, any school would be wary of the Big XII for fear it will dissolve or UT will simply dominate everyone. If you get ND and BYU involved and give them access to their own media rights, UT is no longer the tail that wags the dog. And that's what would make the conference work.

Between ND, BYU and Baylor, they could agree to not play games on Sunday (a major rub other schools have with BYU but one ND and Baylor would quickly accommodate). The other issue about BYU players being older because many Mormons go on missions before going off to college, well, that's always going to be an issue but I've never seen it as that big a deal.

Anyway, you can pitch enough big games in that conference to get a national contract on NBC or Fox and you're on your way.

There are still a lot of hurdles to clear before they get there but, IMO, it's the only way the Big XII survives so they ought to be seriously considering it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I see the big picture and regardless I don't believe those teams want to be tied to the Big 12

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

BYU, Texas agree to home-and-home series

PROVO — Brigham Young University and the University of Texas today announced the two schools have agreed to a home-and-home football series for the 2013 and 2014 seasons.

Two of college football's most successful programs over the past four seasons, the Cougars and Longhorns are scheduled to meet in 2013 at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo, and again in 2014 at Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin, Texas.

"We are exited to announce this series with Texas," said BYU Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe. "We are always looking for opportunities to schedule storied football programs like the Longhorns. I'm really excited for our coaches, our players and the rest of Cougar Nation to have Texas visit LaVell Edwards Stadium."

The addition of the two-game series creates three future matchups between the Cougars and Longhorns. The two schools are already slated to face each other in Austin on Sept. 10, 2011.

BYU and Texas are two of only five programs nationally to win 10 or more games each of the past four seasons. BYU is 43-9 over the last four years while Texas has achieved a 45-8 mark over the same span. Ohio State, Boise State and Virginia Tech are the only other teams with double-digit victories each of the last four seasons.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

BYU left the MWC because of tv issues. Why would they want to go to a conference where Texas wants/is king and compete with them.
    I guess BYU wouldn't want to schedule games against Texas, huh? Oh, wait.

Granted, it's not the same thing as joining their conference but keep in mind that UT was scheduling games against Cal and UCLA when they thought their future might be going to the Pac-10. It's a feel-out process to find out if they can be neighbors. The fact that BYU already has games scheduled against Oklahoma also lends some cred to my thinking.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I guess BYU wouldn't want to schedule games against Texas, huh? Oh, wait.
    Granted, it's not the same thing as joining their conference but keep in mind that UT was scheduling games against Cal and UCLA when they thought their future might be going to the Pac-10. It's a feel-out process to find out if they can be neighbors. The fact that BYU already has games scheduled against Oklahoma also lends some cred to my thinking.
    OH, you know I never said this! I never said anything about BYU playing Texas or they wouldn't. But what I have gathered from reading is BYU is skeptical and doesn't want to join the Big 12 because of Texas and how they run the show. I really don't give a crap what BYU does, if they join the Big 12 You seem to be getting bent out of shape but I'm passing along info I've been reading on the issue and the consensus is BYU doesn't want to go there. They may change their mind as time goes on!

I know we've discussed this but TCU and Houston would fit right in the Big 12!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...s-it-leave-tcu
    Last edited by Nomad; 08-20-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post

I know we've discussed this but TCU and Houston would fit right in the Big 12!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...s-it-leave-tcu
    And I've said before the Big XII has no interest in TCU and Houston because, with Texas and Texas A&M, they already have significant penetration in the Dallas and Houston tv markets.

Now I'm convinced you don't understand what's going on. This is all about tv markets and who can put together the best tv contracts. Right now, the SEC (CBS) and the Big 10 (Big 10 Network) are the envy of the football realm because of the dollars they are making. Other conferences either want their own version of the Big 10 Network or a network deal like the SEC has with CBS/CBS College.

The Big XII could not make that work as long as they were just a Southwest/Plains regional interest. TCU and UH add nothing to what the Big XII needs. A good friend of mine who is a UH alum got very angry with me when I spelled this out but he later relented and admitted I was right.

BYU and ND (mostly ND) are the two logical schools who can turn the Big XII into an attractive national conference because they have followers all over the country because of their church connections. Both schools come with their own separate issues but what the Big XII can offer them that the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 10 cannot is to ability to craft their own media deals. Since Texas and Oklahoma also want more autonomy in their tv deals, the four schools can form an alliance or even become a full-blown conference.

You're seeing this already starting to take shape with ND and BYU both signing deals to be on future football schedules with Texas and BYU already having a deal with Oklahoma.

Many think the future of college football is 4-6 superconferences with a de facto playoff system if not a true playoff. The SEC, ACC, Big 10 and Pac-10 are pretty much a lock to be represented. The Big XII, the Big East and the MWC are in an eat-or-be-eaten position for their survival. The WAC, MAC, Sun Belt and Conference USA are likely to fill out the superconferences with the lesser schools falling back into Division I-A.

The Big XII must either add a couple of solid new schools or they'll split with half going to the Pac-10. Then the superconference push will begin in earnest.

Suggesting the Big XII should add Houston and TCU is like suggesting the SEC should add Tulane and Memphis.

well....here is my Buckeyes schedule......looks pretty damn sweet.....only 4 road games this season......at Wisconsin and at Iowa will be tough.....and Miami Fla at the shoe.on 9/11 will not be easy.
    anything can happen....but this schedule sure looks favorable anyhow...did I mention only 4 away games??

GO BUCKS!!!!

Thu, Sep 02 Marshall Columbus, Ohio 7:30 p.m. Alumni Band Day
    Big Ten Network

Sat, Sep 11 Miami (FL) Columbus, Ohio 3:40 p.m.
    ESPN

Sat, Sep 18 Ohio Columbus, Ohio 12:00 p.m.
    Big Ten Network

Sat, Sep 25 Eastern Michigan Columbus, Ohio TBA Hall of Fame

Sat, Oct 02 Illinois * at Champaign, Ill. TBA

Sat, Oct 09 Indiana * Columbus, Ohio TBA

Sat, Oct 16 Wisconsin * at Madison, Wis. 7:15 p.m.
    ESPN/ESPN2

Sat, Oct 23 Purdue * Columbus, Ohio 12:00 p.m. Homecoming

Sat, Oct 30 Minnesota * at Minneapolis, Minn. 8:00 p.m.
    ABC/ESPN/ESPN2

Sat, Nov 13 Penn State * Columbus, Ohio TBA

Sat, Nov 20 Iowa * at Iowa City, Iowa TBA

Sat, Nov 27 Michigan * Columbus, Ohio
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates

"Don't squander what you're given....make the most of precious time.....life's not only for the living...it's what you leave behind.....Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

If I'm reading that right, that sure is a lot of home cookin'. You get some middle-of-the-pack teams on the road but all the big games are at home. Looks like an easy path to the National Championship game.

14. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

If I'm reading that right, that sure is a lot of home cookin'. You get some middle-of-the-pack teams on the road but all the big games are at home. Looks like an easy path to the National Championship game.
    It sure does look like an easy path.......but....I hope the players aren't thinking that....lol...at Wis. and at Iowa....both at night.......will be real tough....but with only 4 away games.....I can't complain.......at Iowa would be a tough one to lose....so late in the season.....
    My 5 favorite teams:
    1.The Denver Broncos
    4.The Pittsburgh Pirates

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by broncophan View Post
    It sure does look like an easy path.......but....I hope the players aren't thinking that....lol...at Wis. and at Iowa....both at night.......will be real tough....but with only 4 away games.....I can't complain.......at Iowa would be a tough one to lose....so late in the season.....
    Still have the Big10CG to go through and Iowa will be a tough one for the Buckeyes! I could look it up but what is the breakdown of the teams in the two divisions for the Big 10.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information