Thread: Orton shines in 2-minute drill,

Default Orton shines in 2-minute drill,

Orton shines in 2-minute drill, as Broncos offense comes together
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 08/03/2010 12:50:34 PM MDT
    UPDATED: 08/03/2010 04:09:30 PM MDT

A look at the Broncos' morning training camp practice Tuesday at Dove Valley:

Highlight:

Kyle Orton got the job done in the practice-ending 2-minute drill. Actually there was 1:50 remaining, the ball on the 20 and the Broncos' first-team offense was down 17-14. Orton completed a 20-yard pass to Brandon Lloyd, who made a splendid catch from his rear. Another completion to Lloyd was followed by a sack. Third-and-9, Orton found running back Lance Ball open across the middle for a 16-yard gain to the defense's 40-yard line.

Orton then threw a beautiful deep spiral down the left sideline to an outstretched Jabar Gaffney, who beat Andrè Goodman on the play. Gaffney's momentum took him into the end zone for the practice-winning TD.

Lowlight:

There were times when the new offensive line had its struggles against its defensive front. On one pass play, Jarvis Moss broke free on Tim Tebow, but the linebacker was not allowed to touch the quarterback. So Moss stood there a foot away from Tebow while the quarterback pump faked. Moss still stood there as Tebow fired a completed pass across the middle to Eric Decker. The crowd cheered the completion. Later, Tebow had the ball swatted away while standing in the pocket, and middle linebacker Mario Haggan picked off the fumble in the air.

Quote:

"When we have a defensive coordinator that is vocal, it's only going to make us want to be more vocal. If I can hear him, I want him to hear me making the calls."

— Broncos safety Renaldo Hill on defensive coordinator Don Martindale.

Quarterback watch:

Kyle Orton did the job on the 2-minute drill.

Brady Quinn also threw well, especially while hitting Eric Decker on a seam pattern.

Tim Tebow had his best passing practice of camp. His best was a crossing pattern dart to a well-covered Richard Quinn, who caught it, but fumbled after it was swatted from behind.

Position battle:

The kids will have to wait. After Eddie Royal and Jabar Gaffney, the next two receivers who are getting the most reps are Brandon Lloyd and Matt Willis. Willis, 6-foot, 190 pounds, has been the surprise of early camp. After spending most of last season on the Broncos' practice squad, Willis, a third-year player from UCLA, came into camp knowing he had to hold off top-round draft picks DeMaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. Willis caught two long passes in the first practice Sunday, then made the hit of the day Monday. Broncos' backup nickelback Alphonso Smith had picked up Brady Quinn's fumble and returned it for decent yardage until Willis unloaded on him near the players' sideline. The intensity of the entire practice picked up from that point on.

Camp schedule:

Two practices Wednesday, the first starting at 8:45 a.m.; the second at 5:30 p.m. Parking and admission are free to the second practice. The morning practice is not open to the public.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15668159

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

I think Orton is making some strides....
    He's out to prove everyone wrong, and that could be fun to watch.
    A little competition could light a fire under him.

Supporting the Denver Broncos all the way from North Carolina!

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by T.K.O. (team kyle orton) View Post
    orton threw for 4128 yds and 33 td's in practice today
    Ha!

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    Ha!
    how did you pull that from another thread ?
    i thought i was loosin' it for a second.....but then i realized i already had so i could'nt be

Tebow was almost sacked 10 times.

Kyle Orton wasn’t afraid to correct his receivers at times, talking individually with Matthew Willis at one point after a perceived slight miscommunication on one play. broncotalk.net

Quote Originally Posted by sc74u View Post
    Tebow was almost sacked 10 times.
    In the 15 or so minutes of team drills, Tebow looked a bit more decisive in the pocket, and didn’t scramble once as far as I could tell. He audibled to a running play at one point.

He also took a few shots down the field — something he hadn’t been doing when he got his turn in the earlier workouts. His timing was off on these routes, though; his receivers would be stopped or have to stop and come back before Tebow threw, with just about every ball falling short of his target.

Still, the rookie seemed a bit more at ease this afternoon.broncotalk.net

Thing is when you have to think about what you are doing it is hard to act instinctively.

That is the point of Training Camp to train your body and mind to act instinctively. It will be a while before this actually occurs. This is why a lot of the rookies are acting well like rookies out there...

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information