Thread: Broncos' newest QB learning veteran focus

Default Broncos' newest QB learning veteran focus

Broncos' newest QB learning veteran focus
    Tim Tebow taps into the knowledge of coaches and players in his bid to handle first NFL tests.
    By Jeff Legwold
    The Denver Post
    POSTED: 07/31/2010 12:38:00 AM MDT
    UPDATED: 07/31/2010 09:09:44 AM MDT

Eric Decker is the guy next to "The Guy." He has a front-row seat in the Summer of Tebow in and around the Broncos' Dove Valley complex.

Decker, a rookie wide receiver, is Tim Tebow's roommate at the hotel the Broncos use during training camp. When the weight of attention, expectations and fame hover around Tebow, Decker will be one of the first people to know if it's all getting to Tebow or not.

"But you know, he's a leader, he's got a good head on his shoulders," Decker said. "I think there is a lot of pressure, scrutiny, whatever word you want to use, on him from the outside, but I don't see that in him. I don't see it in how he conducts himself or goes about what he has to do.

"He carries himself very well, works hard."
    Tebow, the second of the Broncos' two first-round picks in April's draft, arrived signed, sealed and delivered Friday after agreeing to a contract Thursday. He passed his conditioning test Friday morning.

The hour long workout didn't include enough players for the Broncos to have extended 11-on-11 practice, but it was Tebow's first appearance at a training camp that figures to bring plenty of attention his way.

Broncos officials continue to remind fans that attendance at practices open to the public starting Sunday will be cut off at about 3,000 because of the expected interest in Tebow.

"I've had some pressure on me the last few years," Tebow said. "I don't really ever think about it, because all I worry about is what I can control — my attitude, my effort, my focus. I can't control anything else, so I don't spend much time worrying about it."

Since being selected 25th by the Broncos, Tebow has spent virtually all his time at the team's complex, but Friday was his first workout with teammates since signing his first pro football contract.

He spent much of the practice working on his footwork as he went through reads, often with Mike Harrington, a member of the team's equipment staff, serving as the receiver on the play.

Asked how he thought the day went, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels referred to the two days of playbook work the quarterbacks and the other rookies did in Tebow's absence as his contract was finalized.

"I think (he's) not rusty," McDaniels said. "I mean, he's been throwing a bunch, but he's certainly getting the hang of things we're doing and we are working on. (But) you know, he's got some catching up to do in that regard. . . . He can kind of keep pace with them, but you know, typical — some good, some bad. Just good to get him out there before we start on Sunday."

Tebow said he already has worked the phones as well as the Broncos' locker room to prepare for his first training camp.
    "I talked to a lot of veterans, a lot of veterans here, around the league, and a lot of different coaches, just trying to get a feel for what it's like, how to prepare myself, my body, my mind, everything," Tebow said. "The right nutrition program, the right rest program, all those things, just to handle it the right way."

Tebow was asked if he is prepared for the inevitable mistakes that come with being a first-year player.

"That's something I'm going to have to deal with, and try not to get frustrated with, is making mistakes, just trying not to make the same mistake twice," Tebow said. "And that's kind of my goal out here."

Said Decker: "He's got the pressure. The quarterback, you're always the guy who gets the fall for losses and gets the hoorays for wins. And being a first-round draft pick, I think all those guys have pressure on them because of that, but that's when you have to come in and say, 'I'm a guy too, I want to come in and get better.' Follow the veterans, follow their lead, and I think he's been able to do that. I don't think anybody is worried about how he's going to handle all of this."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Quarterback watch

All three Broncos quarterbacks took part in Friday's practice, but because the workouts included a limited number of players, the team had only six snaps worth of full-team drills. NFL reporter Jeff Legwold offers his analysis:

Kyle Orton

Starter took four of the six snaps. Has looked composed and confident all week.

Brady Quinn

Got two snaps in team drills, one a handoff. Firmly the team's No. 2 as camp opens.

Tim Tebow

Spent time working on footwork and the release point on his throws. No snaps.

Tebow's day

Broncos rookie quarterback Tim Tebow, having signed his first NFL contract Thursday, took part in his first day of training camp Friday:

Morning: Took conditioning test — three 300-yard timed shuttle runs. Took part in meetings with other rookies and players returning from injury.

11 a.m.: The Broncos practiced for about an hour. Tebow spent most of the time working on his footwork and going through reads for specific plays. He received no snaps in an abbreviated, six-play team session.

Noon: Rookies were dismissed until having to return today at 1 p.m. for a team meeting.

Afternoon, early evening: Tebow stayed to go over parts of the playbook that were reviewed in the Broncos' meetings Wednesday and Thursday.

Schedule

The Broncos finished Friday's practice with only one player unsigned — rookie wide receiver Demaryius Thomas, their first pick of the draft. The team's schedule:

Today: Veteran players report, conditioning tests. Players must complete three 300-yard shuttle runs in a time limit set for each position group.

Sunday: Practice open to the public, 8:45 a.m.-10:30 a.m.; practice open to the public, 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.

Monday: Practice open to the public, 2:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15645317

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Broncos' newest QB learning veteran focus

after this year, they'll be changing that to "the eye of the tebow". . . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information