Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutler way ahead of Young and Leinart ....

Default Cutler way ahead of Young and Leinart ....

This blog article at aol fanhouse isn't really about Cutler or the Broncos, but it's an objective assesment not from a die-hard Bronco fan, and it starts off like this ....

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...r-the-starter/

As we get some distance from the 2006 draft, it seems like the best quarterback among those selected in the first round was the one taken last. The Broncos traded up to grab Jay Cutler with the 11th-overall selection, and through two seasons, he's progressed more than Vince Young (No. 3) and Matt Leinart (No. 10) combined.

It's nice to see even non-Bronco fanatics admit that Cutler has so far been the best QB drafted that season.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived omac For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

I'm willing to bet even Cardinals and Titans fans know this. Jay Cutler simply looks like he's got it in comparison to those two.
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

And Young and Leinart got all the press before the draft because of the Rose Bowl. Vince Young is probably o a perfect team, hard defense workhorse that scraps for wins. Leinart needs an offensive line to see if he can make use of that duo he has. And only time will tell to see what Cutler can do once he's on a consistent team, which he hasn't been on since high school. His fans say it's bad luck. His critics say it's his trend.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Devilspawn For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Titans fans think Young is the best thing since sliced bread. Don't try and tell you otherwise because they might pull a piece out and try to convince you that way.

But, from an unbias point of view, we really didn't get to see what Leinart could do last year since he missed (I think) 11 games with that broken collar bone. Young is a hell of an ATHLETE, but he is a terrible QUARTERBACK.

IMO, Cutler has all of the skill and brains to be a great quarterback, it's just a matter of it all coming together.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

I have said it before and I will say it again....

Jay has the potential to be better then Elway was!!!

It all depends on how he handles what is given to him and IMO I feel he will prosper.

Cutler is a great centerpiece for Denver. Now if they could just get the rest of the team figured out.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Titans fans think Young is the best thing since sliced bread. Don't try and tell you otherwise because they might pull a piece out and try to convince you that way.

But, from an unbias point of view, we really didn't get to see what Leinart could do last year since he missed (I think) 11 games with that broken collar bone. Young is a hell of an ATHLETE, but he is a terrible QUARTERBACK.

IMO, Cutler has all of the skill and brains to be a great quarterback, it's just a matter of it all coming together.
    Leinart lost his starting job to Warner before the collar bone injury. When it happened, they were already splitting time. He had 2TD/5INT in 5 games, along with a 53.6 completion %. He was horrible, even without the injury.

12. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Leinart lost his starting job to Warner before the collar bone injury. When it happened, they were already splitting time. He had 2TD/5INT in 5 games, along with a 53.6 completion %. He was horrible, even without the injury.
    How is he supposed to get better if he's not playing and learning from his mistakes? That's why a coach like Weisenhunt is not good for a guy like Leinart. Leinart needs to be in there and take the hits, throw the picks, and make the mistakes so that he can learn from them. Weisenhunt is a "win, now" type of coach and he'll pull the plug on a QB as soon as he feels like his starter isn't giving the team a chance to win, whether or not it's on the QB or not. Leinart has all of the tools, minus being left handed, to be a great QB with one of the up-and-coming franchises in the NFL. He has the tools to be as good, but not better than, Cutler.

And just to make a point, there was a point last year when Cutler had more INTs than TDs.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

I have a feeling Cutler is going to continue to rise above the other two more and more each year. He is the total package.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived ChampWJ For This Post:

How is he supposed to get better if he's not playing and learning from his mistakes? That's why a coach like Weisenhunt is not good for a guy like Leinart. Leinart needs to be in there and take the hits, throw the picks, and make the mistakes so that he can learn from them. Weisenhunt is a "win, now" type of coach and he'll pull the plug on a QB as soon as he feels like his starter isn't giving the team a chance to win, whether or not it's on the QB or not. Leinart has all of the tools, minus being left handed, to be a great QB with one of the up-and-coming franchises in the NFL. He has the tools to be as good, but not better than, Cutler.

And just to make a point, there was a point last year when Cutler had more INTs than TDs.
    I don't know if he has the tools to be as good as Cutler, but you make a good point as far as him not gettting a chance to learn from his mistakes. Leinart can't make all the throws that Cutler can. He just doesn't have the same rocket arm, but he does show a nice touch at times. Personally, when it's all said and done I think Cutler will be well ahead of Leinart and Young. I think he'll be an elite QB, and the other 2 average. JMO

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I don't know if he has the tools to be as good as Cutler, but you make a good point as far as him not gettting a chance to learn from his mistakes. Leinart can't make all the throws that Cutler can. He just doesn't have the same rocket arm, but he does show a nice touch at times. Personally, when it's all said and done I think Cutler will be well ahead of Leinart and Young. I think he'll be an elite QB, and the other 2 average. JMO
    Agreed. Leinart will never be elite in the sense that Cutler will (hopefully), but then again, look who Leinart plays for. The Cardinals have a deep history of acquiring awesome players and doing absolutely nothing with them. I really hope I'm wrong because second to Denver, the Cards are my other team. As far as VY goes...can't stand him or any other bumbling idiot like him.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    And Young and Leinart got all the press before the draft because of the Rose Bowl. Vince Young is probably o a perfect team, hard defense workhorse that scraps for wins. Leinart needs an offensive line to see if he can make use of that duo he has. And only time will tell to see what Cutler can do once he's on a consistent team, which he hasn't been on since high school. His fans say it's bad luck. His critics say it's his trend.
    Nice, neutral comment, which I appreciate.

I have read comments all over the league, however, and I really haven't run
    across many critics of Cutler's. I think most people realize that Cutler's main
    problem at Vanderbilt was . . . well, Vanderbilt.

I know some people still have a "wait and see" approach to Cutler. But he
    had a tremendous year last year. I don't know how anyone could expect a
    second-year QB to have a better one . . . and then to find out that he was
    ill the last half of the season.

I think the writer of that blog has it right: Young and Leinarts are still
    learning how to be NFL quarterbacks. Cutler is an NFL quarterback.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

22. The Following 6 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Agreed. Leinart will never be elite in the sense that Cutler will (hopefully), but then again, look who Leinart plays for. The Cardinals have a deep history of acquiring awesome players and doing absolutely nothing with them. I really hope I'm wrong because second to Denver, the Cards are my other team. As far as VY goes...can't stand him or any other bumbling idiot like him.
    The thing with Leinart is, he kind of brought it on himself too. His commitment to his profession was questioned by Whisenhunt; he was not working hard studying the playbook ... he was out partying with Paris Hilton. Contrast that to Jay who's been hard at work studying every aspect of the Broncos playbook, and even trying to get time in before pre-season to establish rapport, not just with his receivers, but his linemen.

It's only after he'd lost his starting gig to Warner that he started to put in the hours and show his dedication. He could've done that at the start.

24. The Following User High Fived omac For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

In many ways being on bad team at Vanderbilt was the best preparation for Cutler as NFL QB. He was forced to make quick decisions and learn how to handle breakdown of line without panicking. Plus he was able to understand that you don't always get 10 to 15 seconds in the pocket to make your reads.

Compare that to the college experience both Leinart and Young had. Those guys had so much talent on the o-line and that they weren't ready for the speed at the NFL or experience of broken plays.
    Last edited by elsid13; 06-22-2008 at 04:57 PM.

26. The Following 3 Users High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    The thing with Leinart is, he kind of brought it on himself too. His commitment to his profession was questioned by Whisenhunt; he was not working hard studying the playbook ... he was out partying with Paris Hilton. Contrast that to Jay who's been hard at work studying every aspect of the Broncos playbook, and even trying to get time in before pre-season to establish rapport, not just with his receivers, but his linemen.

It's only after he'd lost his starting gig to Warner that he started to put in the hours and show his dedication. He could've done that at the start.
    Leinart learned from his off-field mistakes. He needs to be on the field to learn from his on-field mistakes. That's the point I'm trying to make.

28. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information