Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sony Developing Blu-Ray Successor

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Sony Developing Blu-Ray Successor

Didn't know where else to put this...

Sony Developing Successor to Blu-ray
    New 1TB discs could become the new standard for games, TV, and movies.
    July 26, 2010
    IGN

Today Sony in partnership with Tohoku University announced they have developed a new laser technology that will allow them to encode discs with twenty five times the data of any standard Blu-ray disc, with a total capacity of 1TB on a single disc.

The all-semiconductor laser technology uses a extremely condensed wavelength of 405 nanometers and generates high-powered optical pulses at three picoseconds (three-trillionths of a second). The nitty gritty technical details aside, this ultimately could mean big things for a next generation disc format, particular for high definition films and television and gaming.

Currently a standard dual-layer Blu-ray disc provide 50GBs of maximum data capacity, which as it stands, is rarely ever reached by games or movies. However, with up to 1TBs of data at their disposal, publishers could pack multiple titles on a single disc. With that much space, as The Examiner reports, studios could pack up to fifty HD films onto a single disc or entire seasons of television series.

The potential applications for games are also pretty substantial; with more space comes more capacity for more elaborate graphics, longer games, uncompressed multi-channel audio, more elaborate gameplay, or as we mentioned with movies and television, multiple games on a single disc.

While Sony did not announce any clear cut plans for the technology in terms of implementation on a consumer level, they did note that there are "high expectations" for the new laser system and that it could be particularly valuable in reducing the size of devices due to it's smaller light source.

All things considered, it seems fairly obvious that it will be years before this technology becomes commercially available, let alone adopted as a standard, but when the time comes it could lead to some pretty interesting developments in high-fidelity, high-capacity disc-based media.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/110/1108505p1.html
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Crazy. A Terabyte on one disk.

The entire library of Congress is like 60 Terabytes.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

You could probably put like 50 HD movies on one disc.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Super. Just when I have started gettign a healthy blu ray library, it will be obsolete. Man, I am so for just purchasing the rights to a movie so I can own it in any form for free.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Awesome.
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Super. Just when I have started gettign a healthy blu ray library, it will be obsolete. Man, I am so for just purchasing the rights to a movie so I can own it in any form for free.
    This is one of the reasons I dont buy Blurays. I watch DVDs in 1080p. It's not Bluray, but it's cheaper and it's still HD and pretty good.

Adopted Bronco:
    D.J. Williams // Demaryius Thomas // Shannon Sharpe

I don't even own a Blu Ray and they're thinking on making a successor for it??? WTF??? Don't they know that we, here in the 3rd world, can't afford too many of the new technologies?

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived RedFalcon For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I don't even own a Blu Ray and they're thinking on making a successor for it??? WTF??? Don't they know that we, here in the 3rd world, can't afford too many of the new technologies?
    I still recommend a HD/upscaling/upconverting DVD player for 1080, HD cables, a nice stereo receiver and a HDTV...

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    technology evolves, and will continue to evolve. how do you think people felt when their vhs libraries were all obsolete when dvd's came out?

it's a never ending process

Quote Originally Posted by RedFalcon View Post
    come on now. first it was the film reel, then BETA, then VHS, now it's DVD's and Blu-Ray. the technology will continue to expand and evolve. it's all about efficiency.

as new technologies are released to consumers, they are at first ridiculously expensive, but as they become more popular, prices fall and they become affordable.

you can pick up a nice blu-ray player for $100 now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I don't know why they are bothering. All signs are pointing to streaming and downloadable HD movies are what the future is. Physical media is on its way out. People would rather watch a movie on their phone or streaming through netflix then buy a bluray it seems. Just like our entire music collections are on mp3 players, all of our movies will be on hard drives.

16. The Following 4 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

All signs are pointing to streaming and downloadable HD movies are what the future is. Physical media is on its way out. People would rather watch a movie on their phone or streaming through netflix then buy a bluray it seems.
    I dont believe this will happen anytime soon, especially with game consoles. I guarantee the Xbox 720 and PS4 will play games on a disc.

With stuff on a HDD, data can be corrupted or lost.

Physical media, as far as games, is here to stay.

People who have games like them in cases and such like a collection.

Bluray sales are definitely up but DVD is still the prefered common video standard by default, no matter how hard Sony pushes.

Look at the PSP Go, Sony's experiment at a downloading game only machine was a miserable failure.

$ony has gotten massively greedy and it will bite them in the ass one day, sooner than later.

Remember, in the early 90's nobody would've said that about Nintendo either... Sure they came back with the Wii but they had a decade of lagging behind.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I don't know why they are bothering. All signs are pointing to streaming and downloadable HD movies are what the future is. Physical media is on its way out. People would rather watch a movie on their phone or streaming through netflix then buy a bluray it seems. Just like our entire music collections are on mp3 players, all of our movies will be on hard drives.
    Read an article on this a year or so ago... about how the 'loss' by Microsoft and HDDVD did not spell a 'win' for Bluray. I'd never thought about it before then... but you may be right.

No, Shazam... I don't think that physical media will ever be done away with entirely... and you're right... games are a good example of that. For movies though, Blu-ray may never realize its full potential.
    Thanks, Reid!

I love my wife!

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I dont believe this will happen anytime soon, especially with game consoles. I guarantee the Xbox 720 and PS4 will play games on a disc.

With stuff on a HDD, data can be corrupted or lost.

Physical media, as far as games, is here to stay.

People who have games like them in cases and such like a collection.

Bluray sales are definitely up but DVD is still the prefered common video standard by default, no matter how hard Sony pushes.

Look at the PSP Go, Sony's experiment at a downloading game only machine was a miserable failure.

$ony has gotten massively greedy and it will bite them in the ass one day, sooner than later.

Remember, in the early 90's nobody would've said that about Nintendo either... Sure they came back with the Wii but they had a decade of lagging behind.
    Yeah, I agree about the games, but I think movies are on the way out. Out of all my friends, I am the only one that actively collects movies still. We have such a disposable society, most people rent their movies from those $1 RedBox things or just download them of bittorrents illegally. People would rather rent a movie cheap or download a cam version online in low quality for free than actually shell out the $30 for a BluRay.

Just as they still sell Vinyl for music, I'm sure years for now DVDs and BluRays will still be available. But for the mass consuming audience, I think downloadable movies are the way to go for them. And if they could improve the storage on game Hard Drives (and make it more stable) I could easily see downloadable games being the wave of the future. Most gamers I know don't collect games, they buy and trade them in within weeks. Even I only own about 5 games I'll never get rid of for various reasons. I just downloaded
    Batman: Arkham Asylum off the 360 Dashboard and I really liked how I didn't have to truck down to a game store and deal with "You want to reserve another game while your here today?".

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Yeah, I agree about the games, but I think movies are on the way out. Out of all my friends, I am the only one that actively collects movies still. We have such a disposable society, most people rent their movies from those $1 RedBox things or just download them of bittorrents illegally. People would rather rent a movie cheap or download a cam version online in low quality for free than actually shell out the $30 for a BluRay.

Just as they still sell Vinyl for music, I'm sure years for now DVDs and BluRays will still be available. But for the mass consuming audience, I think downloadable movies are the way to go for them. And if they could improve the storage on game Hard Drives (and make it more stable) I could easily see downloadable games being the wave of the future. Most gamers I know don't collect games, they buy and trade them in within weeks. Even I only own about 5 games I'll never get rid of for various reasons. I just downloaded
    Batman: Arkham Asylum off the 360 Dashboard and I really liked how I didn't have to truck down to a game store and deal with "You want to reserve another game while your here today?".
    Not to mention that Microsoft, Sony, and publishers may be pushing this as much as they can for the same reason Gamestop, etc push the used games.... They get all the profit for themselves.
    Thanks, Reid!

I love my wife!

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Default But....

You still can't get this by downloading.

Thanks, Reid!

I love my wife!

22. The Following User High Fived LordTrychon For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information