Thread: Cables- HDMI vs. VGA vs. HD Component

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Cables- HDMI vs. VGA vs. HD Component

This for the hardcore gamers and certain PC snobs.

Which configuration is best to you? Sure all HDTVs differ but what layout do you find best?

I am using my Xbox 360 and PS3 as an example, both wired to a Sharp Aquos LCD 32". PS3 is HDMI and 360 is HD Component cables (HDCC)

To me it's HDCC, NOT to be confused with standard composite cabes. These are the ones that came with my 360.

The only drawback is the HDCC reaches a max of 1080i.

Sure the HDMI is 1080p but I find I get far better sound from the HDCC. I have my PS3 hooked up via HDMI but the sound on the 360 is far superior.

I have VGA cables for the 360 too but the colors seem washed out and not as bright, this is apparent immediately. VGA though is best for PCs to HDTV or hooking up the 360 to a PC monitor.

For me it's the HDCC. Could be my TV though and it may vary with different HDTVs.

Opinions?? Thoughts?? Share your experiences.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Use the optical audio cable on the PS3 and your XBOX won't sound better anymore.

3. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Component cables don't carry sound, so how do you have your sound hooked up? Via an optical cable? Coaxial digital cable?

HDMI carries sound and video, component (red, green, blue) carries only video.

So, since you say your sound is better with component, it would help to know how you have your sound hooked up.

That aside, assuming both of them are set to decode Dolby Digital, there should be no difference in the sound quality. If there is a difference, more than likely it has to do with there being a difference in how the sound is being decoded. Such as one being set to PCM and the other to Dolby Digital, or something like that.

Are you using your TV's speakers or do you have a seperate AV receiver for sound? Regardless of how your sound is hooked up, if you aren't using a 5.1 (or greater) receiver to play the sound, you aren't getting close to what it can deliver.

5. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

7.2 ftw

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I have my Xbox 360 and BluRay hooked via HDMI to my 42" Sharp Aquos and Bose Cinemate 2.1 Acoustimass Speakers. I used to have a 5 speaker setup, but the Bose sounds better to me with just 2 speakers. Great setup if you don't want to spend too much and get really good sound and picture quality.

9. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I have an old Cambridge Creative AVR w/4 speakers and Digital 5.1.

The difference isnt atronomical by any stretch, but I can tell.

What I meant by comparing HCCC to HDMI was the picture quality and if there is a difference its negligible, because the audio is a bit better on the 360.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post

What I meant by comparing HCCC to HDMI was the picture quality and if there is a difference its negligible, because the audio is a bit better on the 360.
    In 'theory' the HDMI picture should be better, since the video is able to stay digital from source to display. With component, the image is converted from digital to analog by the Xbox,then at the TV, it has to be converted back to digital before being displayed.

12. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post

HDMI is always better by spec, but sometimes not noticeable to the naked eye. 1080i and 1080p means one is interlaced and one is progressive. The progressive picture renders much faster than the interlaced and eliminates ghosting. Always go for the 1080p hookup which always involves HDMI. The only way to get better sound is with a receiver with a digital audio jack.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information