Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: All things SCUBA

Adopted Bronco:
    Sorry, I gave at the office.

Mr. Jellyfish

Adopted Bronco:

I'll share more later. I have some of Mexico as well.

Those are sweet, Sanluis. Please do. Caves are freaky. I've been doing some cenote diving but I still need to take a cave course.

Adopted Bronco:

off cozumel Mexico

Adopted Bronco:

Queen Angels off Cozumel

Adopted Bronco:

Baby Queen Angel Cozumel Mexico.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick7 View Post
    Those are sweet, Sanluis. Please do. Caves are freaky. I've been doing some cenote diving but I still need to take a cave course.

Thanks Slick7. Your picks look great. The clarity of the turtle pick is great!
    Cheers!

I love diving !!! I have been to a few places and dive the Channel Island off California at least a couple times a year. You can see some really cool stuff and almost always get to swim with the sea lions. ( little scary at first) The only down side to the Channel islands is the cold water!!

Have you ever been to any of the Channel islands. The most popular are Catalina and Anacapa.

Bat Ray off Catalina
    Last edited by sanluis; 08-29-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Adopted Bronco:

Giant Black Sea Bass. They are endangered and very rare. I have only seen them once. They were over 300lbs at least!
    Last edited by sanluis; 08-29-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Adopted Bronco:

Talking

Me hoping that blur was a seal!!

Me freezing my *** off!
    Last edited by sanluis; 08-29-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Default Awesome stuff sanluis

I've never been diving in the Pacific. I'd love to. I've got a cousin in Hawaii that I'd like to visit along with my selfish reasoning to dive everyday.

Cozumel is one of the best places around here because they protect the reefs from fishing. Over here on my side they fish the hell out of these waters so it's almost impossible to see anything big, like a dolphin fish or groupers. I've only seen two nurse sharks in over 100 dives over here.

We see alot of turtles, eels, barracudas, porcupine puffers, and all the other reef dwellers, but not alot of big stuff. I'm going up to Holbox later this fall to check out the whale sharks. I'll be sure to bring the camera.

I'm working on my divemaster course as we speak. I plan to go to Utila, Honduras for the instructor course sometime this winter, and I'll also be sure to take the camera. I have an internship here in Puerto so it's tough to give up the free diving especially when I need all the botom time I can get.

I'm sure you see your share of big stuff over there, sometimes we see spotted eagle rays here. Actually today I saw a blue Marlin during my safety stop. It was cool. I ran into a school of Tarpons before the hurricane, but I haven't taken the camera out since Dean because the visibility still sucks. I know I shouldn't complain because it's much better here than places in Cali, but I've been spoiled with 100ft visibility or more.

Thanks for sharing your stuff. It's impressive, even for a Bolts fan(had to slip that in.

It's 84 to 86 degree water temps here, I see you were pimpin' your hoody. How cold is it there?

Adopted Bronco:

Anacapa is around 55-64 degrees sometimes warmer sometimes colder depending on depth and season. Two degrees makes a big difference believe it or not. Catilina is over 60-74 degrees and is much farther south near long beach

In Cozumel we dove the palancar reef. It was some of the best diving I have ever seen. This was over five years ago and a number of hurricanes have past that way but I bet it would still be worth your time to check it out. I did five night dives there and it is was really cool. I swear I saw a lobster as big as me!

Plancar caves

over 100' down

coral trees

View from our room.
    Last edited by sanluis; 08-29-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Cozumel has recovered for the most part, and Dean didn't hurt it much at all. There are broken fans, sponges and soft corals, but no major damage. I plan on going over soon I haven't been there for a while either. It's only a 30 minute boat ride from here.

Do you use a dry suit or are you using 7mil with farmer john and hoodie. That sounds cold to me bro. I need a Brrrrrrrrrr smilie.

When I think of a cave, I'm thinking no light at all. My instructor said during the cave course you have do do a 45 minute swim with no light, nothing. Holding the line and following it from rock to rock.

The cenotes I've been in here you can see light the entire time. You don't need a special certification for them but the true caves you do.

I'm jazzed up to talk to a fellow diver. It might just be you and me here, hopefully Tned doesn't mind us hogging up bandwith with our pics.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick7 View Post
    Cozumel has recovered for the most part, and Dean didn't hurt it much at all. There are broken fans, sponges and soft corals, but no major damage. I plan on going over soon I haven't been there for a while either. It's only a 30 minute boat ride from here.

Do you use a dry suit or are you using 7mil with farmer john and hoodie. That sounds cold to me bro. I need a Brrrrrrrrrr smilie.

When I think of a cave, I'm thinking no light at all. My instructor said during the cave course you have do do a 45 minute swim with no light, nothing. Holding the line and following it from rock to rock.

The cenotes I've been in here you can see light the entire time. You don't need a special certification for them but the true caves you do.

I'm jazzed up to talk to a fellow diver. It might just be you and me here, hopefully Tned doesn't mind us hogging up bandwith with our pics.

I have not done a true cave dive or big wreck dive ware you have to follow a rope. The caves in the USVI wer short tunnels really or very shallow allowing plenty of light. I have had darker dives in the kelp.

In Cozumel the caves or tunnels are in the reef with plenty of hole like Swiss cheese letting in the light. It was very cool and easy to follow the dive master Thru the tunnels.

The cenotes are all fresh water right? That must be very fun!

30 minutes!!! Dude !! you have to go asap! I used a dive shop called Blue bubbles no troubles in Cozumel. You have to go check it out. Even a shore dive would be amazing there. The Palancar reserve is the best. You have to pay a few Peso to get in and it was well worth it.

So how did you get such a cool gig in Mexico?

In Calif. I wear a the 7mil with the hood. I want to get a dry suit and have "borrowed" one from the dive shop here to see how nice it was...big mistake. I now want one even more!

I am hogging a lot of band posting all these pics. :o If it gets too much I can always delete em.

The cenotes are sometimes half and half. You get a blurry haze of visibility when you go through the salt/fresh mix. The Yucatan is the best place in the world for cenote diving. There are thousands of them and most of them are still unmapped.

No wreck diving for me either, I'd do it in a heartbeat though.

My Mom and step-Dad are retiring down here and looking to buy a dive shop or start their own. (They invited me to come along and I said HECK YES!!) I sold my house in NC and drove down here. This is why I'm going for instructor status. To work here legally as an American you have to have an instructor card. Even then it's hard. I'll just invest a small amount in the business to be a minority shareholder and that'll allow me to get 1 year visas instead of the six month one I have now. It expires in early December, but I can get an extension if we don't have a shop by then.

I'm all over Cozumel, we have two dogs here and can't leave them, so when my Mom comes down from Colorado later this month, I'm heading over. I'll check out Palancar as well as Punta Sur.

I'll check in to your shop, but my brother used a shop named Eldora Divers, that had big steel tanks for longer bottom times. Most of the time my computer tells me to come up before my air supply does. Today we went to a place called PaaMul, started at 100ft. went down a little wall to about 124ft. and slowly worked our way back to 50 to 60 ft. After an hour I still had 1400psi but me my divemaster and my stepdad were all so close to deco we had to come up.
    Stinking deco!!!!!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information