Thread: Colorado Springs Gazette gives up covering Broncos

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Default Colorado Springs Gazette gives up covering Broncos

Colorado Springs Gazette gives up covering Broncos

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 19, 2010 12:58 PM ET
    The struggling newspaper industry claimed another victim on Monday, when Frank Schwab of the Colorado Springs Gazette announced his paper would no longer cover the Broncos.

Schwab will transfer to the Air Force beat, so the paper won't totally lose a great beat writer.

While the Gazette doesn't have the resources of the Denver Post, it provided plenty of great coverage during Schwab's ten years on the job and before he jumped on. Following the demise of the Rocky Mountain News in 2009, Denver joins a growing list of NFL teams that essentially have one major paper covering them.

Team websites help fill the gap, but can't provide a complete picture. Ultimately, readers of quality local football coverage lose out.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Crap. I really enjoy reading Frank Schwab on the Broncos.

Bummer.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

I found out about this earlier on twitter - will miss Schwab's bronco articles and twitter updates.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Rats. He had some good stuff about the Broncos from time to time . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

We're all the lesser when an outlet stops covering something of great public interest -- whether it's City Hall or the Broncos.

As recently as 2005, five papers covered the Broncos (Gazette, Post, Rocky, Longmont Times-Call, Boulder Daily Camera); every local TV station traveled, too. It was one of the largest media corps in the league, befitting a team with fervent regional interest. The multitude of newspapers kept everyone on their toes and gave everyone a few more items to discuss. Now, it's one paper and often, no more than a couple of local TV outlets. It's the same story with other teams; when I was with the Panthers, there were 11 newspapers with spaces in the media room, since at one time, they all covered the team. In recent years, it was down to three; now it is two.

Coverage won't go away, because as you know, the demand is there. It will just come from other sources on the Internet and in different forms beyond the Post -- sources like MileHighReport.com, BroncoTalk.net, MaxDenver.com, local magazines like Mile High Sports and, of course, DenverBroncos.com. These are all pieces of a puzzle that continues to evolve. The Post will be at all the games, as always. So will MaxDenver.com, the little site I've been working on launching this summer.

But we're losing something without Frank and The Gazette covering the Broncos. Professionally, he brought seven years of institutional knowledge at Dove Valley and the perspective that came from a decade covering the NFL, including his time in Green Bay. Personally, he's an even better man than he is a writer and reporter.

8. The Following 10 Users High Fived Andrew Mason For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Newspapers are the 21st century version of the typewriter. Antiques that have outlived their usefulness.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

10. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Sad to see this happen as Frank was one of the best.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mason View Post
    We're all the lesser when an outlet stops covering something of great public interest -- whether it's City Hall or the Broncos.

As recently as 2005, five papers covered the Broncos (Gazette, Post, Rocky, Longmont Times-Call, Boulder Daily Camera); every local TV station traveled, too. It was one of the largest media corps in the league, befitting a team with fervent regional interest. The multitude of newspapers kept everyone on their toes and gave everyone a few more items to discuss. Now, it's one paper and often, no more than a couple of local TV outlets. It's the same story with other teams; when I was with the Panthers, there were 11 newspapers with spaces in the media room, since at one time, they all covered the team. In recent years, it was down to three; now it is two.

Coverage won't go away, because as you know, the demand is there. It will just come from other sources on the Internet and in different forms beyond the Post -- sources like MileHighReport.com, BroncoTalk.net, MaxDenver.com, local magazines like Mile High Sports and, of course, DenverBroncos.com. These are all pieces of a puzzle that continues to evolve. The Post will be at all the games, as always. So will MaxDenver.com, the little site I've been working on launching this summer.

But we're losing something without Frank and The Gazette covering the Broncos. Professionally, he brought seven years of institutional knowledge at Dove Valley and the perspective that came from a decade covering the NFL, including his time in Green Bay. Personally, he's an even better man than he is a writer and reporter.
    That is good to know that you will still be covering the broncos on MaxDenver.com

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

14. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

maybe schwab just couldn't handle the pain any more. . . .

this is all very true. . . and honestly, a little bit disappointing, from my perspective at least. . . not that some of the new sources don't have good content to offer, of course, but as much as people complain about "the media," there's no question in my mind that standards were higher among traditional print media than the average blogger when it comes to things like fact-checking and simple grammar and spelling. . .

denver fans used to have scheffter-- now we're slowly being reduced down to kiszla and josina anderson. . . talk about your lowest common denominator! that's just depressing. . . .
    Last edited by dogfish; 07-20-2010 at 12:19 PM.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

16. The Following 6 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

I had a pretty high opinion of Schwab in the first place. But having this come
    from the likes of you, Andrew, heightens my respect for him considerably . .

-----

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    maybe schaub just couldn't handle the pain any more. . . .

this is all very true. . . and honestly, a little bit disappointing, from my perspective at least. . . not that some of the new sources don't have good content to offer, of course, but as much as people complain about "the media," there's no question in my mind that standards were higher among traditional print media than the average blogger when it comes to thinks like fact-checking and simple grammar and spelling. . .

denver fans used to have scheffter-- now we're slowly being reduced down to kiszla and josina anderson. . . talk about your lowest common denominator! that's just depressing. . . .
    And Woody, bless his heart. Entertaining. Funny. But not a journalist . . .

------

Dang, sad to hear this. I have really enjoyed Schwab's coverage. What has been really great is how open he was to dialogue with fans on Twitter. Responding to questions, and even gathering what the fans wanted to know before heading into pressers and the like. He will be greatly missed.

Lindsay Jones also does a great job, and Andrew Mason's timing on coming back to Denver can't be any better, with Schwab leaving the beat.

20. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Knowshon Moreno

No! Frank was the man.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    No! Frank was the man.
    No honz, you da man!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information