Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: The Confessional, or, Where to Eat Crow

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    Well I have a #84 Javon Walker jersey that shows how wrong I was about a player...
    I do, too. He was awesome his first year with us and my wife bought me the jersey after the year was over. Luckily, it was one of the cheap replicas so I just took the name tape off the back and when people ask I tell them it was a Sharpe jersey that the name tape fell off of...

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I honestly believed McDaniels was a step ahead of everyone in the personnel department... And I believed that right up until almost the very end. I didn't really turn on him until I read Mike Silver's piece about how his assistant coaches didn't like him or his management style.

I mean, I questioned the Hillis move, and I wondered about trading for Alphonso Smith, and I didn't really see Dick Quinn's 2nd rd potential... But damnit, I was convinced that McDaniels had access to information that us common folk did not. I was convinced that Bellichick had let him in on a secret winning formula (kind of like the Oakland A's Moneyball in baseball) where they valued personnel differently than most teams.

I really thought he was on the right track right up until the very end when info started to leak out from Dove Valley...
    It doesn't surprise me that McDaniels staff disliked him and his management style. When you take your entire staff before the owner just to embarrass them after a blowout loss it's not hard to see why they didn't like him.

I don't blame anyone for supporting the guy. He came from one a winning organization and he was the head coach. I supported him because I understood that if he failed that would mean the team would fail and obviously that's what happened. I still criticized his his horrible moves but that didn't mean I want him fail.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    It doesn't surprise me that McDaniels staff disliked him and his management style. When you take your entire staff before the owner just to embarrass them after a blowout loss it's not hard to see why they didn't like him.

I don't blame anyone for supporting the guy. He came from one a winning organization and he was the head coach. I supported him because I understood that if he failed that would mean the team would fail and obviously that's what happened. I still criticized his his horrible moves but that didn't mean I want him fail.
    Weirdly though, the players seemed to really like the guy. Lots of guys went out of their way to say good things about Josh and I don't remember hearing much negative chat about him after he left. That said, he really hated some players...looks like he scared Richard Quinn off of ever playing the sport again. Then there was Hillis in the doghouse. That said, that really wasn't much different to Shanny...except that Shanny won.

5. The Following User High Fived muse For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by muse View Post
    Weirdly though, the players seemed to really like the guy. Lots of guys went out of their way to say good things about Josh and I don't remember hearing much negative chat about him after he left. That said, he really hated some players...looks like he scared Richard Quinn off of ever playing the sport again. Then there was Hillis in the doghouse. That said, that really wasn't much different to Shanny...except that Shanny won.

There were a few players that said some positive things after McDaniels left but I don't know if there were that many that really liked him. As mentioned he had a run in with Hillis who never said a word about. Ryan Harris also took a lot grief from the guy but I can't recall him saying anything about one way or the other. I think most players are professional enough to not take parting shots as a guy heads out the door. Also during camp I remember one of the players (I think it was Bailey) commenting on how much calmer thing were in the locker room this year.

I couldn't disagree with you more that the only real difference between Shanahan and McDaniels was wins and losses. I don't recall Shanhan having disputes with as many players as McDaniels did. Even if we counted them up and numerically there the same number of instances, there is huge difference in my book between having five major disputes with over a 14 year period verse the same amount in a two year period. There was never an instance that I'm aware of that Shanahan took his entire coaching staff before the owner just to rake them over the coals. It seems to me Shanahan did a lot better job fostering loyalty and trust than McDaniels did. To me those huge differences.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 09-08-2011 at 12:41 PM.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC:1352550

I couldn't disagree with you more that the only real difference between Shanahan and McDaniels was wins and losses. I don't recall Shanhan having disputes with as many players as McDaniels did. Even if we counted them up and numerically there the same number of instances, there is huge difference in my book between having five major disputes with over a 14 year period verse the same amount in a two year period. There was never an instance that I'm aware of that Shanahan took his entire coaching staff before the owner just to rake them over the coals. It seems to me Shanahan did a lot better job fostering loyalty and trust than McDaniels did. To me those huge differences.
    No, I meant in reference to the doghouse. Once you landed in Shanny's it was game over pretty much. But no, Shanny was generally fair to coaches although Coyer had some interesting things to say when he left.

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived muse For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem / The Dagda View Post
    I defended Ashley Lelie until the day he left, and still maintain that had we been in an offense where we tossed up the ball more and a viable quarterback (like Cutler now) he'd of been a pretty good receiver. I don't think that I'm necessarily needing to eat crow on that, but something a majority of people thought I was a retard for.
    To this day I don't think Lelie was a total bust - he had his moments (for example: highlight reel catch in Buffalo, 68 yards receiving and a td in 2006 AFC championship game loss vs Steelers). He did not play up to his #1 draft choice status but he was better than previous #1 wr pick Marcus Nash)

I was wrong (so far) on Knowshon. I saw lots of Georgia games where Moreno was dominant and I liked the pick at the time.

Also I really liked the Cutler pick. Jay may still turn out to be a top tier qb but I didn't expect the emotional baggage he had. Still think he had the most raw ability of any bronco qb not named Elway in franchise history.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived titan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by muse View Post
    No, I meant in reference to the doghouse. Once you landed in Shanny's it was game over pretty much. But no, Shanny was generally fair to coaches although Coyer had some interesting things to say when he left.
    I would imagine that's pretty true with most head coaches depending on the circumstances.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by titan View Post
    To this day I don't think Lelie was a total bust - he had his moments (for example: highlight reel catch in Buffalo, 68 yards receiving and a td in 2006 AFC championship game loss vs Steelers). He did not play up to his #1 draft choice status but he was better than previous #1 wr pick Marcus Nash)

I was wrong (so far) on Knowshon. I saw lots of Georgia games where Moreno was dominant and I liked the pick at the time.

Also I really liked the Cutler pick. Jay may still turn out to be a top tier qb but I didn't expect the emotional baggage he had. Still think he had the most raw ability of any bronco qb not named Elway in franchise history.
    That's how I feel about Lelie. No he didn't live up to his draft status but he wasn't as bad some people said he was.

I know this is pure speculation but I think if McDaniels hadn't been so foolish as to trading away Cutler he might have kept his job through this season.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Marcus Nash, what a joke

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information