Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Message Board Features -- Photo Albums and Message Tagging/Tag Cloud

Default New Message Board Features -- Photo Albums and Message Tagging/Tag Cloud

There are two fairly major new features that I have enabled with the upgrade to vBulletin 3.7.1.

User Photo Albums:

There is now a photo album feature in your member profile where you can create photo albums and upload photos.

If you go to your Public Profile, on the right hand side, you will see a box called "Albums". This is where your photo albums will be located. You can click "Add Album" a new album (you can have multiple albums to organize your photos). Once you create an album, you can upload pictures.

There are some limits.

1. You can have a maximum of 100 pictures
    2. If the pictures are over 600x600 in size, they will be resized to 600x600 when uploading.
    3. Maximum picture size is 195k

Thread tagging (keywords) and tag cloud:

When creating threads, you can now add tags or keywords to the thread. For instance, if it is an article about Cutler, you might add tags like Jay Cutler, passing game, offense, etc. If it was an article about global warming, you might add tags like global warming, weather, climate, climate change, etc.

Also, tags can be added by any forum member, not just the thread starter. At the bottom of the thread (above the Quick Reply box), is the list of tags for that thread. You can click "Edit Tags" on the far right of the tag list and add your own two tags to that thread. PLEASE only add appropriate and relevant tags. Don't use this feature to slam the thread starter.

As tags are added to threads, the forum has an easy way to start finding all posts about global warming or Jay Cutler or any other tags/keywords assigned to posts.

There are two options to view the tags. First, you can click "Search" and then you will see a choice of "Tag Search" and it will show you the "Tag Cloud". Second, if you go to the forum index (forum list), there will be a new box at the top titled "Tag Cloud". I will also be attempting to add the Tag Cloud to the home page www.broncosforums.com

The way the tag cloud works is that it shows all the tags that have been applied to threads throughout the message board, but they show up in different font sizes. As more threads are created with a given tag and the thread is more active, then that tag will appear larger than other tags to stand out more and show it is a popular tag/topic.

This is a great feature if people start tagging threads. In addition to normal searching, this gives people a very quick way to find posts about any given subject.

You can also see the Tag Cloud here: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/tags.php

If you have any questions, post them in this thread.

T
    Last edited by Tned; 06-14-2008 at 08:44 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Appreciate the effort, old chap

Now to see what's what
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29..............K Mc #11
    You'll Never Walk Alone

The Whiskeyteers ~ One for all, and all for more

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

Kick ass tned - this is great for everyone who doesnt do myspace or facebook

why r u so awesome t - one of these days u and i are going to sit n chat n drink bottle after bottle of riesling

we need a wine smiley
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived OB For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I am a tagging fool. Had to create a few threads... the Broncos Forums tag cloud just didn't look right without some ring of famers up in there.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    I am a tagging fool. Had to create a few threads... the Broncos Forums tag cloud just didn't look right without some ring of famers up in there.
    I wondered why you created so many threads.

Thanks Tned.

Great job as usual Tned

But couldn't you just search "Jay Cutler" and stuff before and find threads?
    So the Tags is pretty much like the search engine it seems
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

"Are there any tag words that are not allowed?" George Carlin asked fiendishly.

11. The Following User High Fived Devilspawn For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    Yes.

First, the tag words need to comply with the main message board, NOT the lounge, rules.

Second, they should be in good taste. The concept is to allow people to find topics, so they shouldn't be used to find threads of interest, but we need to stay away from things like oral sex, hot chicks, stupid men, etc.

Basically, since these are tags/keywords that will be in the cloud and on the front page of the message board, I hope everyone shows restraints and puts 'on topic' tags on threads, BUT ALSO keywords that won't embarrass the message board since the clouds are out of the Lounge and on the home page.

Beyond that, I can't really define it, but it is a very good question.

Quote Originally Posted by orangenblue420 View Post
    Kick ass tned - this is great for everyone who doesnt do myspace or facebook

why r u so awesome t - one of these days u and i are going to sit n chat n drink bottle after bottle of riesling

we need a wine smiley
    We will definately have to do that some time.

Quote Originally Posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
    Great job as usual Tned

But couldn't you just search "Jay Cutler" and stuff before and find threads?
    So the Tags is pretty much like the search engine it seems
    I don't know why, but it is the 'rage' on the internet right now. You gotta have a tag cloud.

I think it is one a quick way to find topics, without searching. Think of them as quick, predefined searches. Also, a search will return a ton of hits. Let's say you such on Cutler, you will get all kinds of returns, many of them not really about cutler. Maybe about the running game, where someone mentions Cutler's name.

By tagging threads and having the tag cloud, it makes finding 'on topic' threads easier, without having to sort through so many threads in your search result.

I guess that's the concept.

Further on this subject, I just had to delete some tags from smack. I'm just quoting your post, because it is on topic for why I had to delete them:

Pre-teen smack (borderline I suppose)
    trollspeak
    Ultimate geyness (or something like that).

Haven't looked at the logs to see who created the tags, and won't at this point, but as I said above, the tags are NOT to be used for slamming threads/posters and stuff like that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Champ Bailey

Who has the abiltiy to edit the tags once they're posted?

Could someone hijack a thread by changing the existing tags, or can the Mods edit any that are inappropriate?
    BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29..............K Mc #11
    You'll Never Walk Alone

The Whiskeyteers ~ One for all, and all for more

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Yes.

First, the tag words need to comply with the main message board, NOT the lounge, rules.

Second, they should be in good taste. The concept is to allow people to find topics, so they shouldn't be used to find threads of interest, but we need to stay away from things like oral sex, hot chicks, stupid men, etc.

Basically, since these are tags/keywords that will be in the cloud and on the front page of the message board, I hope everyone shows restraints and puts 'on topic' tags on threads, BUT ALSO keywords that won't embarrass the message board since the clouds are out of the Lounge and on the home page.

Beyond that, I can't really define it, but it is a very good question.
    Thanks for the 'splination. Out of curiosity I clicked on one tag, Illegal Immigration, and saw two threads pop up. So is this like a quicker way to use a search, is it as detailed? Like if Selvin Young was in the cloud, would threads that are only tagged with Selvin's name pop up or all threads with Selvin's name in it?

LOL I just realized, good think I didn't say Travis Henry was in the cloud.

Thanks for the 'splination. Out of curiosity I clicked on one tag, Illegal Immigration, and saw two threads pop up. So is this like a quicker way to use a search, is it as detailed? Like if Selvin Young was in the cloud, would threads that are only tagged with Selvin's name pop up or all threads with Selvin's name in it?

LOL I just realized, good think I didn't say Travis Henry was in the cloud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Den21vsBal19 View Post
    Who has the abiltiy to edit the tags once they're posted?

Could someone hijack a thread by changing the existing tags, or can the Mods edit any that are inappropriate?
    Anyone can add tags to a thread (not just the post starter). Mods should be able to remove any innapropriate tags, but I will need to double check and make sure those permissions are setup properly.

18. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Does the tags cloud have to be at the top for any particular reason?

Just asking as IMO I don't think it is very attractive and might be nicer to stick it down on the bottom.

Just my

20. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

GEM

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Does the tags cloud have to be at the top for any particular reason?

Just asking as IMO I don't think it is very attractive and might be nicer to stick it down on the bottom.

Just my
    Nope, it's configurable. I chose up there, because a lot of users aren't used to it, so that will get them thinking about it, but down the road, I can drop it below the forum index, or below who's online.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information