Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TSN:Cutler at head of '06 QB class

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default TSN:Cutler at head of '06 QB class

By Greg Cosell
    Posted: September 13, 2007

Vince Young? No. Matt Leinart? No. The best quarterback in the celebrated 2006 NFL draft will be the third one selected, Jay Cutler.

Playing quarterback in the NFL is about dropping back, setting up quickly and delivering the ball accurately to the right receiver at the right time. There's more to it, of course, but those are the key skills that produce elite quarterback play. And Cutler best exhibits that skill set.

Cutler has no limitations in terms of arm strength -- downfield throws, deep comebacks, balls down the seams. In fact, Denver's passing game became more vertical after Cutler replaced Jake Plummer last season.

Young and Leinart can't make all those throws. And Cutler has shown a willingness to make tight throws into small windows downfield. You have to do that in the NFL. Cutler also will stand in the pocket, looking down the gun barrel with bodies around him, and throw the ball. That's critical.

Leinart has a tendency to fall away from throws in the face of pressure. He will have to become firmer in the pocket. He also needs room in front of him to step into his throws.

Cutler, on the other hand, can flick the ball downfield without getting his body behind it.

The bottom line on Leinart: He has poise and awareness at the line of scrimmage, understands protections and blitzes, knows where his receivers are, doesn't force the ball into coverage and makes few mistakes. He simply has limitations as a passer.

Young needs the most work. He has never been a pocket quarterback and has demonstrated a strong tendency to leave the pocket prematurely. Too much dependence on athleticism and improvisation will delay his necessary development, not enhance it.

Young leaves a lot of throws on the field, not pulling the trigger when receivers are open. He lacks timing and anticipation as a passer. He has more confidence in his legs than his arm. He certainly has a flair for the dramatic, but that doesn't produce consistent quarterback play in the NFL.

Cutler is far from a finished product. He sometimes perceives pressure when it isn't there, makes off-target throws and locks on to receivers. Leinart and Young can become winning quarterbacks, but Cutler has the best chance to become truly special.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=272461

Quote Originally Posted by columbiaskinny View Post
    By Greg Cosell
    Posted: September 13, 2007

Vince Young? No. Matt Leinart? No. The best quarterback in the celebrated 2006 NFL draft will be the third one selected, Jay Cutler.

Playing quarterback in the NFL is about dropping back, setting up quickly and delivering the ball accurately to the right receiver at the right time. There's more to it, of course, but those are the key skills that produce elite quarterback play. And Cutler best exhibits that skill set.

Cutler has no limitations in terms of arm strength -- downfield throws, deep comebacks, balls down the seams. In fact, Denver's passing game became more vertical after Cutler replaced Jake Plummer last season.

Young and Leinart can't make all those throws. And Cutler has shown a willingness to make tight throws into small windows downfield. You have to do that in the NFL. Cutler also will stand in the pocket, looking down the gun barrel with bodies around him, and throw the ball. That's critical.

Leinart has a tendency to fall away from throws in the face of pressure. He will have to become firmer in the pocket. He also needs room in front of him to step into his throws.

Cutler, on the other hand, can flick the ball downfield without getting his body behind it.

The bottom line on Leinart: He has poise and awareness at the line of scrimmage, understands protections and blitzes, knows where his receivers are, doesn't force the ball into coverage and makes few mistakes. He simply has limitations as a passer.

Young needs the most work. He has never been a pocket quarterback and has demonstrated a strong tendency to leave the pocket prematurely. Too much dependence on athleticism and improvisation will delay his necessary development, not enhance it.

Young leaves a lot of throws on the field, not pulling the trigger when receivers are open. He lacks timing and anticipation as a passer. He has more confidence in his legs than his arm. He certainly has a flair for the dramatic, but that doesn't produce consistent quarterback play in the NFL.

Cutler is far from a finished product. He sometimes perceives pressure when it isn't there, makes off-target throws and locks on to receivers. Leinart and Young can become winning quarterbacks, but Cutler has the best chance to become truly special.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=272461

Good Read

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Wow that is high praise, and for obvious reasons I sure hope they're right. When we drafted Cutler two years ago there was guy who came to Broncomania claiming that Leinart had all tools to be the best of the bunch because he was light years ahead of Cutler and Young. It kind of looks like that really might not be the case.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

That was a good read. THis is definately going to be a class of 83 all over again.

THese three are going to be compared to each other for their entire careers. Thats good.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    That was a good read. THis is definately going to be a class of 83 all over again.

THese three are going to be compared to each other for their entire careers. Thats good.

i doubt after five year if young will be in the discussion...he will slowly fade out of the spotlight of truely top notch qbs and be relegated to the mobile qbs with poor passing pile ...a 2006 version of kordell stewart

Great read, skinny!

Yep, and hopefully, all enter the hall of fame too, and the one from Denver wins the superbowls.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    Great read, skinny!

Yep, and hopefully, all enter the hall of fame too, and the one from Denver wins the superbowls.
    Yeah hopefully Jay wins several.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho2 View Post
    i doubt after five year if young will be in the discussion...he will slowly fade out of the spotlight of truely top notch qbs and be relegated to the mobile qbs with poor passing pile ...a 2006 version of kordell stewart
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge Young. He is only going to get better as will the other two. He is a gamer if anything and with proper coaching to go along with his athleticism, he could actually be more dangerous 5 years from now then the others.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge Young. He is only going to get better as will the other two. He is a gamer if anything and with proper coaching to go along with his athleticism, he could actually be more dangerous 5 years from now then the others.
    I think you may be correct here IF the coaches take him under their wing and teach him how to pass that ball his running ability will only be enhanced. I'm not talking about a Marino type passer but Fran Tarkington was one hell of a QB fro a long time just on a crappy team. I think Young's coaches are top Notch perhaps not Mikey quality but the next tier and that ain't bad.

You have to remember that many on here are total homers and anything or anyone that is mentioned above almost anyone on the Broncos will be automatically Pooh poohed as not as good.

This should be a great QB class.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    I think you may be correct here IF the coaches take him under their wing and teach him how to pass that ball his running ability will only be enhanced. I'm not talking about a Marino type passer but Fran Tarkington was one hell of a QB fro a long time just on a crappy team. I think Young's coaches are top Notch perhaps not Mikey quality but the next tier and that ain't bad.

You have to remember that many on here are total homers and anything or anyone that is mentioned above almost anyone on the Broncos will be automatically Pooh poohed as not as good.

This should be a great QB class.
    I am a total homer, but I also know and have enough common sense to realize that there is other talent in the NFL besides my team.

I have a good friend who lives in Kentucky and is a die hard Titans fan. Young has saved Jeff Fisher from his job and from retirement. If you remember a few years ago, Fisher was about to hang it up. Young is now the spark plug for Fisher to stay. He has brought new life to the organization and community.

Don't get me wrong, I think Cutler is a better "Quarterback" but Young is a heck of a QB and speciman as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

I've always hated the Cardinals, with a passion exceeded only by my hate for
    the Raiders. Tennessee hasn't even been a blip in my radar, although I hated
    their predecessors, the Houston Oilers.

But now I could bow at the feet of both teams out of pure gratefulness,
    profusely thanking them for taking Leinart and Young, respectively. They got
    very good prospects for QBs.

We got the star.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    All of 'em

Great post. Thanks for posting it.

Cutler all the way!
    Merry.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

If he can improve his accuracy, then I think you'll be right.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    If he can improve his accuracy, then I think you'll be right.
    He is not that far off. His accuracy is par for the rest of the NFL. Not the best, not the worst. I think he gets lumped in the "Vick" catagory for some reason because he can run.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

He is not that far off. His accuracy is par for the rest of the NFL. Not the best, not the worst. I think he gets lumped in the "Vick" catagory for some reason because he can run.
    I agree it's a bit unfair to put him in the "Vick" category.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information