Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: He's Only Going To Get More Comfortable

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Default He's Only Going To Get More Comfortable

Bill Williamson isn't the best beat writer in world but he is on the money about my adoptee D.J. Williams.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...le-at-buffalo/

Perhaps lost in the thrill of the last-minute dramatics in Buffalo and the moxie of Jay Cutler was the play of the Denver defense - in particular middle linebacker D.J. Williams.

The guy deserves a lot of credit. He had a difficult job moving form strongside linebacker to the middle, replacing fan favorite Al Wilson. So the pressure was already on him.

Then the preseason started, and Williams was often out of position. He admitted that he was struggling in the transition.

Yet, in the season opener, at Buffalo, Williams was all over the field. He had a huge first-quarter sack of quarterback J.P. Losman that took Buffalo out of scoring position, and he led Denver with nine tackles.

That showed Williams is in the right place. He is only going to get better as he gets more comfortable.

So for all of those who thought Williams was going to be a disaster in the middle, they can relax. The kid belongs there.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 09-13-2007 at 01:28 PM.

You can teach an great athlete how to play almost any position, but you can't teach guys to be great athletes.

I'm glad to see that he looks like he is getting it. I think he can be a great MLB.

Your correct that Williamson is not a great beat writer, but heads and above that clown klisa.

Cool post.

Nice to see DJ getting some good recognition, a contrast from the preseason. DJ seems like the kind of guy everyone roots for to succeed. I hope he becomes a consistently excellent player at his possition.

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    Cool post.

Nice to see DJ getting some good recognition, a contrast from the preseason. DJ seems like the kind of guy everyone roots for to succeed. I hope he becomes a consistently excellent player at his possition.
    Just hope he does not become all world before we have his contract extended..

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Thanks for the post TX.
    That showed Williams is in the right place. He is only going to get better as he gets more comfortable.
    And as the guys in front of him get better too.

That's where it all starts.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Cool post.

The posts I saw during the preseason concerning D.J. is what motivated me to start this thread. Yes he struggled but good golly he's in new scheme at different position and yet some people would have preferred to go and get Trotter. That to me would have been a mistake.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

No doubt DJ has all the tools necessary to watch the middle...

Each practice, each film session, each game he is going to get better.

You can't teach size and speed. You can teach tackling, awareness, and where to go. He will get it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post

You can't teach size and speed. You can teach tackling, awareness, and where to go. He will get it.

Where have I heard that phrase before?

In my opinion I think D.J. could ultimately prove to be a better middle linebacker than Al Wilson was. I'm not saying he's at that point, but I think he has more tools to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Where have I heard that phrase before?

In my opinion I think D.J. could ultimately prove to be a better middle linebacker than Al Wilson was. I'm not saying he's at that point, but I think he has more tools to work with.
    I think DJ will be like this Broncos team; shows flashes of brilliance along with inconsistent plays mixed in. Like the Broncos, he's still adjusting and learning. But I think he and the team will be able to make the necessary plays to win games just the same, like they did the recent one.

We'll peak during the playoffs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I think DJ will be like this Broncos team; shows flashes of brilliance along with inconsistent plays mixed in. Like the Broncos, he's still adjusting and learning. But I think he and the team will be able to make the necessary plays to win games just the same, like they did the recent one.

We'll peak during the playoffs.
    If Bates has the necessary parts to make his scheme work then I don't think inconsistency will be a problem through out the season, or least I hope it wont.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    You can teach an great athlete how to play almost any position, but you can't teach guys to be great athletes.
    This is a false statement. Most of the guys in the NFL are incredible athletes, but lack the mental capability to succeed and adjust to the level of play in the NFL, that goes for all positions. Athleticism cannot be "taught" but there is a certain mental aptitude players have or don't have in their ability to understand schemes, defenses and responsibility. Not everyone can do this.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    This is a false statement. Most of the guys in the NFL are incredible athletes, but lack the mental capability to succeed and adjust to the level of play in the NFL, that goes for all positions. Athleticism cannot be "taught" but there is a certain mental aptitude players have or don't have in their ability to understand schemes, defenses and responsibility. Not everyone can do this.
    I don't think JR was discounting the mental aspects to the game. Dream his statement at face value isn't false.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 09-13-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Its not entirely false. Sure, all NFL players are great athletes, but not all NFL players are athletic enough to play certain positions. Fair enough??? Same goes for mental aptitude.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Its not entirely false. Sure, all NFL players are great athletes, but not all NFL players are athletic enough to play certain positions. Fair enough??? Same goes for mental aptitude.

I agree.

Adopted Bronco:
    #27 Steve Atwater

I dissaggree. look at warren he was traded becuase he didnt have it between the ears to pick up this D.

the jury is still out on DJ, dont crown him just yet. although i am really happy we got buffalo in week one as we needed a easier team and wth oakland this week. this team could get on a roll that might i like DJ although i think the D line needs to help him out by keeping trash off of him.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information