Thread: Any Linux users out there?

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Default Any Linux users out there?

I'm becoming curious.

I have Vista and believe it or not... I'm mostly happy with it.

However, at the same time... some of you know I'm going back to (again, believe it or not... yes... going BACK to) some of my geeky roots. Plan on attending college for computers etc. starting this fall.

I'm reopening some of my old favorite parts of my brain... and getting back into computers pretty heavily right now. Over the past decade or so, I stopped following computers the way I used to largely because I couldn't afford to keep up with all the technology I wished I could play with.

But I'm really enjoying my renaissance, and am curious about all sorts of things.

One thing that my curiosity has been pondering is giving linux a shot.

So who out there uses it or has used it?

Did you like it? Did you hate it?

Are all the jokes (I've been reading all the old XKCD comics. lol) about some of the frustration inherent to Linux true? Some of them?

How's compatibility these days?

Insert any other comments you may have!
    To all the armed forces... present, past, and future.
    Thanks, Reid!

Click the sig to read JetRazor's and my story! PM me with any questions!
    I love my wife!

I spend more time with server editions (no gui) than desktop versions of linux. I think compatibility has come a long way. I recently ran a CD based version of linux when I was copying my DirecTV hard drive to a bigger one, and it came right up and recognized everything.

You will still have some driver problems. If you have a laptop, your wifi card or touchpad might or might not have a driver. Stuff like that. By and large, most common hardware seems to be supported and have drivers.

Personally, I like Vista a lot and think more than anything, it was en vogue to bash Vista. Having said that, in certain applications, like web hosting, Linux has a big edge over Windows. So, I think it is definately a technology to know if you are in the IT field, but unless you have fairly minimal needs on your computer (email, browsing, word processing, etc.), Linux isn't an ideal desktop software, IMO.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I spend more time with server editions (no gui) than desktop versions of linux. I think compatibility has come a long way. I recently ran a CD based version of linux when I was copying my DirecTV hard drive to a bigger one, and it came right up and recognized everything.

You will still have some driver problems. If you have a laptop, your wifi card or touchpad might or might not have a driver. Stuff like that. By and large, most common hardware seems to be supported and have drivers.

Personally, I like Vista a lot and think more than anything, it was en vogue to bash Vista. Having said that, in certain applications, like web hosting, Linux has a big edge over Windows. So, I think it is definately a technology to know if you are in the IT field, but unless you have fairly minimal needs on your computer (email, browsing, word processing, etc.), Linux isn't an ideal desktop software, IMO.
    Thanks Tned.

I'm mainly looking just to dabble... although the idea of maybe having something else to boot from if I DO have issues is a definite plus.

I'm just immersing myself in all things tech... I'm learning a bit of PHP now... and I'll be learning some PHP and mySQL next... and a lot of those databases are on linux based servers... so I'm curious, is all. Something to toy with and become at least a little familiar with.
    Thanks, Reid!

I love my wife!

One nice way to get into it is to run Vmwares free VM server. You can then either great Linux builds as virtual machines (VM's) or download VM's from their appliance store (called a store, but almost all Linux VM's are free).

Also, that's another area you NEED to dig into, virtualization. This is becoming more and more widely used both in the corporate world and the webhosting world.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

My computer geek older brother swears that Linux is the best OS on the market.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

6. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    One nice way to get into it is to run Vmwares free VM server. You can then either great Linux builds as virtual machines (VM's) or download VM's from their appliance store (called a store, but almost all Linux VM's are free).

Also, that's another area you NEED to dig into, virtualization. This is becoming more and more widely used both in the corporate world and the webhosting world.
    Virtualization, eh?

That's a ways up the ladder from where I'm at now... but I'm constantly looking for clues as to what I may end up doing, etc. Haven't gotten a whole lot of feedback as to what areas are best etc right now...

No biggie yet because I'm just going into my first year of studies, and will get some kind of certification at the end of that. After that I'm going after an associates... so within the next year or so I'll have to have a better idea of what I want to do, I guess.

Always looking for input.

I'm actually really looking forward to playing with Linux even a little, when I get the chance.
    Thanks, Reid!

I love my wife!

I have tried linux many times and I like parts of it, primarily that its sound and is free.

With wine http://www.winehq.org/ you can run many windows programs.

Up to recently drivers have been one of the problems for me but most recent ubuntu on a install I just did on one of my laptops worked right away with my wireless card, something thats never happened before so I was impressed there.

My biggest issue right now is that even with wine there are still a few apps I can't run that I use all the time, such as visual studio, and my zune player.

I can run those through virtualbox http://www.virtualbox.org/ but the last time I checked, months ago, I still could not manage to get usb devices to work in the virtual windows, somethings thats essential for my zune player.

All in all though I do like Linux....just can't convert just yet.

9. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have tried linux many times and I like parts of it, primarily that its sound and is free.

With wine http://www.winehq.org/ you can run many windows programs.

Up to recently drivers have been one of the problems for me but most recent ubuntu on a install I just did on one of my laptops worked right away with my wireless card, something thats never happened before so I was impressed there.

My biggest issue right now is that even with wine there are still a few apps I can't run that I use all the time, such as visual studio, and my zune player.

I can run those through virtualbox http://www.virtualbox.org/ but the last time I checked, months ago, I still could not manage to get usb devices to work in the virtual windows, somethings thats essential for my zune player.

All in all though I do like Linux....just can't convert just yet.
    Thanks, Rick... Not looking to convert... just looking for some info. I'll probably play around on it.

How about just reading a USB flash drive? Have you done that?
    Thanks, Reid!

I love my wife!

In linux itself flash drive works fine but when I load virtualbox and run windows through it I can't get any usb devices to work at all.

I am sure it's me as it's supposed to work but just have never managed to get it working.

12. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    In linux itself flash drive works fine but when I load virtualbox and run windows through it I can't get any usb devices to work at all.

I am sure it's me as it's supposed to work but just have never managed to get it working.
    Good to know, thanks!
    Thanks, Reid!

I love my wife!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mike Leach

LT, don't worry about actually being able to vitualize anything yet but I will guarantee you, no matter what path you decide to take, you'll have to understand what virtualization is, how it works, when to use it, etc. Definitely add it to your list of research to do sooner rather than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benetto View Post
    Orton can't single left handedly ruin everything on O.
    We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time. - Vince Lombardi

"I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    dang it go drink some Fireball and find your own dang chicken....

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Linux always sounded to me like something you would rub on to soothe sore muscles . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

16. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by frauschieze View Post
    LT, don't worry about actually being able to vitualize anything yet but I will guarantee you, no matter what path you decide to take, you'll have to understand what virtualization is, how it works, when to use it, etc. Definitely add it to your list of research to do sooner rather than later.
    Agreed, and since VMware (the giant in the market) provides some of their products for free, it's very easy to start to play around with it with no cost. It's also the perfect way to run multiple OS's, such as a Linux Centos distro with no Gui, an Ubuntu desktop distro, all on your Windows PC.

LT, in general, outside of server/webhosting, think of Linux like a Mac. For certain users, that have limited needs or where the OS fits a niche really well (Mac = graphic work, Linux = client to administer Linux servers) then Linux and Macs make great clients. Beyond that, Windows is still the main OS that provides by far the greatest funcionality and app support.

Adopted Bronco:
    Doom!

Thanks guys... I'm fairly positive I'll be playing with it in the somewhat near future.
    Thanks, Reid!

I love my wife!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information