Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sources: LeBron decision Thursday

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

I don't detect any anger here.

And are these the values that prevail today? Entertainment and what other
    athletes do? I hope not . . . that doesn't speak well for these generations . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Those were my thoughts immediately. I don't understand a press conference to
    sign a contract, anyway. But this is over the top . . .

-----
    I see what you did there!

3. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    I don't detect any anger here.

And are these the values that prevail today? Entertainment and what other
    athletes do? I hope not . . . that doesn't speak well for these generations . . .

-----
    I really don't see anything wrong with LeBron's "values" here.

What he's doing isn't hurting anyone, and anyone who has a problem with it is free not to watch it. Say what you want, but all the proceeds from this are going to charity so it's not like he's doing this completely for himself.

I can see how this would be seen as selfish but if this is how he wants to announce it, more power to him.

I mean seriously, let's put this in perspective. It's not like he's out breaking the law or being a team cancer in the locker room. Things like this are pretty low on the totem pole of problems in pro sports today IMO.

Hell, if anything this one hour special is good for the NBA. Any attention and publicity they get is good publicity. This offseason has created the most excitement for the NBA that I have seen in my life and thinks like what LeBron is doing will only help that IMO.

I don't even watch Basketball, but I don't care that this has been made into a giant event. you think this is all Labron's doing and thinking? You think HE is the media/promotions guy that is coming up with this? No. Its being presented to him by promotions companies and the NBA to make money.. and notoriety.. by using Labron's name.

Of course he's cocky. Of course he's confident. Of course he's having fun with the popularity. But at the same time, this young kid has NBA franchises around the country clamoring to have him. Why wouldn't he be confident? I say more power to him. So what?
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

6. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I don't even watch Basketball, but I don't care that this has been made into a giant event. you think this is all Labron's doing and thinking? You think HE is the media/promotions guy that is coming up with this? No. Its being presented to him by promotions companies and the NBA to make money.. and notoriety.. by using Labron's name.

Of course he's cocky. Of course he's confident. Of course he's having fun with the popularity. But at the same time, this young kid has NBA franchises around the country clamoring to have him. Why wouldn't he be confident? I say more power to him. So what?
    Good post. I'm a marketing major so I am looking at it through that point of view but I think this one hour special is a great marketing tool for the NBA. Like I said, if I weren't traveling to California tomorrow, I'd be glued to the TV, and I'm not even the biggest NBA fan myself.

And as a sports fan, I'd rather him be cocky and have confidence himself then be soft and timid.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with LeBron's "values" here.

What he's doing isn't hurting anyone, and anyone who has a problem with it is free not to watch it. Say what you want, but all the proceeds from this are going to charity so it's not like he's doing this completely for himself.

I can see how this would be seen as selfish but if this is how he wants to announce it, more power to him.

I mean seriously, let's put this in perspective. It's not like he's out breaking the law or being a team cancer in the locker room. Things like this are pretty low on the totem pole of problems in pro sports today IMO.

Hell, if anything this one hour special is good for the NBA. Any attention and publicity they get is good publicity. This offseason has created the most excitement for the NBA that I have seen in my life and thinks like what LeBron is doing will only help that IMO.
    I wasn't specifically alluding to LeBron. He is simply doing what athletes with
    overgrown egos do. That makes him e pluribis unim over the history of sports.

Really, I place most of the blame on what all has happened in sports (bloated
    salaries, mercenaries, entertainment over values) on us . . . the fans. If we
    weren't salivating over the craving for more and more sports and entertainment,
    there would be no opportunity for all what is taking place.

But then, I'm seriously in danger of wandering onto another topic that belongs
    in another thread. Sorry.

-----

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I see you've unblocked me top. I missed you buddy!

10. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post

According to the article, I can't imagine LeBron had no clue that his own representatives did this?????? It was not presented to James by promotion companies and the NBA - but rather, James representatives presented it to ESPN.

From article:

ESPN would only confirm that active discussions for the special are ongoing. But sources tell Broussard that representatives for James contacted the network, proposing that James makes his announcement during a 9 p.m. ET special.

Those sources said that James' representatives requested they be allowed to sell sponsorship for the one-hour special, with the proceeds going to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, and that ESPN agreed to the proposal but had not been told what James has decided.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    According to the article, I can't imagine LeBron had no clue that his own representatives did this?????? It was not presented to James by promotion companies and the NBA - but rather, James representatives presented it to ESPN.

From article:

ESPN would only confirm that active discussions for the special are ongoing. But sources tell Broussard that representatives for James contacted the network, proposing that James makes his announcement during a 9 p.m. ET special.

Those sources said that James' representatives requested they be allowed to sell sponsorship for the one-hour special, with the proceeds going to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, and that ESPN agreed to the proposal but had not been told what James has decided.
    I don't see anything in Rav's post claiming that LeBron had no knowledge of it. He is saying that is likely wasn't LeBron's idea and that it was likely the idea of his representatives/marketing company. And I have to say, I agree with that assessment. I also don't see anything in his post claiming that ESPN came up with the idea in any way.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/07/07/l....ap/index.html

On Tuesday night, ESPN, citing "independent sources'' said James had approached the network about the announcement, which will end a free-agent summer unlike any in NBA history.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    http://www.nba.com/2010/news/07/07/l....ap/index.html

On Tuesday night, ESPN, citing "independent sources'' said James had approached the network about the announcement, which will end a free-agent summer unlike any in NBA history.
    Lil' bron gonna put on a show! Fo Sho!

Oh and BTW, Its E!SPN. They are the sole creator of the most over-hyped, over-rated athlete in the history of sports. After all, they named him LBJ and King James, and all the other lame nicknames for their "product".
    lil' bron=Glorified Karl Malone.

15. The Following User High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

this clown parades about like he's Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan or something. he hasn't even won anything, and he has the audacity to get ESPN to do an hour long special on what team he's signing with?

Go winning something before you parade around like you're something special.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Overtime For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The hate for LeBron is beyond comical. I can't wait until he wins multiple championships and shuts his doubters up, because it is definitely going to happen. People love to hate on those who have great talent or success though, so it's no surprise really.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    The hate for LeBron is beyond comical. I can't wait until he wins multiple championships and shuts his doubters up, because it is definitely going to happen. People love to hate on those who have great talent or success though, so it's no surprise really.
    Again, I don't think there's any hatred involved here. You need to demarcate
    between disapproval of actions and dislike for the person. Of course, personal
    behavior can lead to dislike of the person (e.g., see Travis Henry), but a deemed
    inappropriate press conference isn't enough for that. I have seen qualities in
    LeBron that I like, too. But that is not the point here . . .

-----

20. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Overtime View Post
    this clown parades about like he's Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan or something. he hasn't even won anything, and he has the audacity to get ESPN to do an hour long special on what team he's signing with?

Go winning something before you parade around like you're something special.
    BINGO! What LeBron has proven to me is that he can't win a championship without significant help. Kobe can win titles largely as THE star. Michael Jordan did. Hakeem Olajuwon did. LeBron James can't, not even in the weak-ass NBA Eastern Conference. Not even when Shaq is added to the team. He's an excellent player but he has yet to prove he can win a title.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information