Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Won our opener 43-7

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    639

    Default Won our opener 43-7

    Broke a 14 game losing streak big time today. We hadn't won in almost 2 years. We got a new HC in the offseason, I got promoted to OC, and we brought in a guy at DC that's been coaching 38 years and knows his stuff. We put up 467 yards of offense and gave up only 73. We did have 4 turnovers otherwise it could've been worse for them. We have a long way to go, but considering the most points we put up last year was 21 and the average score of our games last year was 43-5, I'd say we've come a long way.
    Last edited by tripleoption; 08-23-2014 at 10:23 PM.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    22,828

    Default

    My oldest son is learning adversity.....his team has lost the last 2 games with a combined score of 125-6. Only 4 Seniors returned and a few juniors and the rest soph & freshman. They're playing against 3&4 yr starters. He has turf toe and a decision to let it heal or keep playing. He joined the Marines in May, so I told him to let the toe heal. He's torn because he loves football and has been playing since 3rd grade, but wants to be a Marine. I told him to let the toe heal, but be there for his teammates while on the sideline. Football is not his future, the Marines are.
    why you so serious!

  3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    22,828

    Default

    How's it going, triple? I hope your team is still kicking ass. ER got another brutal beating on Thurs night.....63-0. They've been beat 188-6 in the last 3 games. Thurs night, East scored 28 pts off of 4 picks and 1 fumble recovery for a touchdown. Young team and inexperienced coaches, who doesn't know their players strengths, is a factor in this plus the other teams are that much better. There are some other experienced players playing different positions.

    Anyway, I was doing some Dad talk by us old farts who played over 20 yrs ago and think they know how things should go, you know that talk Coaches could give 2 shits about. I'm not sure what they are seeing, but how does one give input to a Coach without them getting butthurt. At least in the defense, they have kids out of their natural position and it shows. They go off who showed up during the offseason workouts, rather than the talents. For instance, they have been putting my son in at SS when he is a true CB. He tries his best at the position, I figure they're doing it because he is one of the better tacklers on the team. They have a sophomore at his CB position, who has third degree burns from getting burnt so much on coverage and containing his side. Thurs night, they moved another kid to SS (who is better at the position), but had my son (a Senior) on the sideline, while the sophomore was still getting burnt. Again, this is a result of these coaches not knowing their players.

    Well, towards the end of the 3rd, the HC finally put my son in at CB because no one else could cover, not sure why he has a hard on for Cameron. I believe it's because he missed Monday's practice to go to his Marine PT (in which it's every Monday at 1600 and he let the coaches know before the season started). Anyway, East High kept passing even though the score was out of hand, but not one pass was completed against him and he did his job containing his side. Yesterday, they told him he'll still be rotating out at SS with the Banks kid. My head exploded. Im trying to get into the head of a HC like this, maybe you can help.
    why you so serious!

  5. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tocqueville, Colorado
    Adopted Bronco:
    T.D., Rahim Moore, Upchurch
    Posts
    10,459

    Default

    Awesome. Good job
    Semper Fi my brother. R.I.P.You will never be forgotten.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    How's it going, triple? I hope your team is still kicking ass. ER got another brutal beating on Thurs night.....63-0. They've been beat 188-6 in the last 3 games. Thurs night, East scored 28 pts off of 4 picks and 1 fumble recovery for a touchdown. Young team and inexperienced coaches, who doesn't know their players strengths, is a factor in this plus the other teams are that much better. There are some other experienced players playing different positions.

    Anyway, I was doing some Dad talk by us old farts who played over 20 yrs ago and think they know how things should go, you know that talk Coaches could give 2 shits about. I'm not sure what they are seeing, but how does one give input to a Coach without them getting butthurt. At least in the defense, they have kids out of their natural position and it shows. They go off who showed up during the offseason workouts, rather than the talents. For instance, they have been putting my son in at SS when he is a true CB. He tries his best at the position, I figure they're doing it because he is one of the better tacklers on the team. They have a sophomore at his CB position, who has third degree burns from getting burnt so much on coverage and containing his side. Thurs night, they moved another kid to SS (who is better at the position), but had my son (a Senior) on the sideline, while the sophomore was still getting burnt. Again, this is a result of these coaches not knowing their players.

    Well, towards the end of the 3rd, the HC finally put my son in at CB because no one else could cover, not sure why he has a hard on for Cameron. I believe it's because he missed Monday's practice to go to his Marine PT (in which it's every Monday at 1600 and he let the coaches know before the season started). Anyway, East High kept passing even though the score was out of hand, but not one pass was completed against him and he did his job containing his side. Yesterday, they told him he'll still be rotating out at SS with the Banks kid. My head exploded. Im trying to get into the head of a HC like this, maybe you can help.
    Hey Nomad. To answer your first question we got drilled 41-0 last Friday. They were just bigger and faster than we were. I could've done a better job with play calling too. I kinda suspected we'd be in for a tough night though. It's all part of taking over a team that was 2-15 the past two years.
    As for the other stuff, if your HC is worth his salt you should be able to approach him about your concerns. It's all part of being a HC. My advice is the main thing to focus on when you talk to him is your son. That's the best way to establish a relationship with the HC. I've had discussions with parents and they spent more time complaining about other kids, and the kids they complain about don't even play the position their kid plays. If you start bringing up who should play where, X's and O's, etc. then most coaches I know will just nod, say 'uh huh', and walk off when the meeting is done.
    When it comes to playing who showed up in the offseason, the way I've handled it is the kids that show get the benefit of the doubt going into the first game. Ultimately, it's about putting the best players on the field. Still, offseason workouts are part of building a program. Once that first game starts and we get going, all bets are off. However, the kids that show during the summer are a lot more familiar with what they're supposed to do. I've found that except for a few cases, the kids that show up during the summer are often some of your best players anyways. I've seen a couple of kids though who could just about show up to a game without practicing and virtually win it on their own.
    I'd say the biggest issue is the missing Monday practice for Marine PT. As coaches we have to prepare kids every week, and when someone misses a day we have to prepare someone else. The last two years that was a huge problem for us. Guys were missing for shooting competitions, family reunions, camping, work, etc. We've had an issue with it a little this year, but last night our HC put the clamps down on it. We had two starting linemen miss Monday, and one of those guys had missed a day last week and showed up 20 minutes before kickoff Friday. Today we moved three guys from other positions to oline and they'll start Friday. The two former starters are now backups. On this point I would side with the HC and the coaching staff.
    One thing I'd sure do is if your son were shutting down everything they were throwing at him, I'd put him at corner and keep him there. The missing Monday's would be the issue. It would keep him from starting.
    I don't know what the coaches are like, if they're inexperienced but good, inexperienced and bad, or somewhere in between. I'm assuming your son is a senior? If he is then I may be able to give you more insight on what the coaches may be doing.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    22,828

    Default

    thanks triple.....he manned up and got it resolved. He'll start at CB and the coaches are good with him going to Marine PT on Mondays. The time I wrote that post, I was frustrated.
    why you so serious!

  9. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Hey Nomad, we won 31-0 tonight. We're now 2-1. A much better start than 0-8 last year.

  11. The Following User High Fived tripleoption For This Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    22,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tripleoption View Post
    Hey Nomad, we won 31-0 tonight. We're now 2-1. A much better start than 0-8 last year.
    That's awesome! What offense (triple option)and base defense do you run? What's the name of your high school? I remember when we use to talk pee wee football and I was coaching my sons on defense. Time flies.

    Same old story here....ER destroyed 72-0 by South. My son made 13-14 open field tackles and missed about 3 or 4 but the majority of the scoring came from the other side or up the middle. He missed one tackle that went in for the score, it was early in the game. He told me after the game, the coach from South told him great job containing his corner and tackling. Only one pass came his way and it was an overthrow.

    It's amazing how these kids come back every week for these beatings.
    why you so serious!

  13. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Believe it or not, we don't run option. We don't have any kind of option play in our offense this year. We have a good QB with a bad knee, so we're a spread pro style offense this year. Defensively we're a 4-4. It's Valley High School in Gilcrest, CO. I remember talking peewee football with you. Good discussions

    It was a minor miracle we won like we did Friday night. We had three converted linemen starting (two running backs and a receiver) who had never played oline before. We gave up zero sacks, ran for over 150 yards, and my QB ended the game 9 of 12 for a QB rating of 131.9. The team we played is a major rival that beat us 33-12 last year and made the playoffs. There's even a "US-85 cup" that goes to the winning team every year. They're a bigger school that moved up to 3A this year also. We're 2A, so it was good to get that back this year.

    I'm glad to hear your son got moved to corner and had a good game. I hate to see him having to endure those beatings. I've been on the wrong side of scores like that too many times. I'm sure it's at the point where he just needs to go out, have fun, lock down his side of the field and enjoy his senior year.

    Here's a vid of a great throw my QB made Friday on our smash route. They were running cover 2 with the safety playing inside our slot receiver. The game plan this week was to widen our slot out when I called smash, because we felt we could get into the dead zone behind the corner. The receiver just had to adjust his route as he saw fit go hit that area. On video it looks like the safety should've batted down the ball, but it's just the angle of the camera. I was on the sideline and he was behind by about a yard, and the QB just threw a great pass.


  15. The Following User High Fived tripleoption For This Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    639

    Default

    3-1 now! Beat a team tonight that I'd never beaten before, being 0-6 against them with every one of them no closer than 27 points. We really tried to blow it in the fourth, but we held on. Now on to our league schedule.

  17. The Following 2 Users High Fived tripleoption For This Post:


  18. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    #58
    Posts
    21,604

    Default

    Trying to blow it is what our coach did last night. 7-7 game in OT and TWICE we have a 4th and goal inside the 5...and twice he goes for the TD and we don't get it. Eventually lost 13-6 in district game.

    Been dealing with this idiot and his shitty staff for 11 years now with only 1 playoff appearance. But no one will get rid of him. Probably doesn't help that he's also the AD

  19. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    22,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tripleoption View Post
    3-1 now! Beat a team tonight that I'd never beaten before, being 0-6 against them with every one of them no closer than 27 points. We really tried to blow it in the fourth, but we held on. Now on to our league schedule.
    Awesome!
    why you so serious!

  20. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:


  21. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Trying to blow it is what our coach did last night. 7-7 game in OT and TWICE we have a 4th and goal inside the 5...and twice he goes for the TD and we don't get it. Eventually lost 13-6 in district game.

    Been dealing with this idiot and his shitty staff for 11 years now with only 1 playoff appearance. But no one will get rid of him. Probably doesn't help that he's also the AD
    What's your guys' record right now?

  22. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    639

    Default

    This was one of our early plays from Friday night. I call this formation tall. Tree would put it to the right. It's two plays in one. The QB does a slot assessment on the defenders. If we have one defender on two slots and no other defenders within 8 yards of the ball, we throw the bubble. If the defense puts two defenders on two slots we run the called run play. The line blocks the called run no matter what. The receivers run bubble no matter what. Only the QB knows on the snap who gets the ball. The receivers make great blocks on this play too.

    The defense aligned just like I thought they would. They're not a bad team though. Of our three wins they were the best team we've beaten. The nice thing too about this play is since the ball is thrown behind the line we don't have to worry about linemen going downfield.
    Last edited by tripleoption; 09-20-2014 at 10:31 PM.

  23. The Following User High Fived tripleoption For This Post:


  24. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Awesome!
    How'd your son's team do Friday night?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. DJ Williams Likely Out for Opener
    By UnderArmour in forum Broncos Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 11:39 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2011, 11:40 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 11:20 PM
  4. Season opener in Jax, who's going?
    By broncofaninfla in forum The Tailgating/Party Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 12:50 PM
  5. LJ not ready for opener
    By kcvet in forum Other NFL Team Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
dedicated servers
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group