Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Great read on Cutler from RMN

Default Great read on Cutler from RMN

I really enjoyed this one. Take notice of how Elam compared him to Elway.

More than just a Sunday drive for Cutler

Behind the wheel in Buffalo, Cutler turns into leader
    By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
    September 12, 2007

ENGLEWOOD - As an NFL quarterback, Jay Cutler certainly will be asked to do a lot of things in his vocational life. He'll be asked to win games, to be sure. But to do that, he'll also be asked to win the hearts and minds of the 10 other players staring back at him in the huddle.

That's why, in his first full year as an NFL starter, Sunday just might turn out to be more than a one-point win.

"That last drive . . . defines what we're going to be, what we are about," Broncos running back Travis Henry said. "Guys sucked it up. We knew we had to get in field-goal range or score a touchdown to win. . . . And (Cutler) gave us the feeling we were going to do it. That's what you want."

On the sterile pages of recent history, it simply will say the Broncos went 42 yards in 12 plays in the final 2:13 on the game clock. That Jason Elam kicked a 42-yard field goal for a 15-14 win against the Buffalo Bills on a rainy September Sunday.

But for Cutler, who is next in the line of Broncos quarterbacks to step where John Elway left some of the biggest footprints at any position in the league, it was a chance for a leap of faith.

He acknowledged after the game he felt like his teammates believed in him but that a comeback such as Sunday's still was a major step in affirmation.

"I think they believe in me, but to go out there and do that puts even more faith in me," Cutler said. "I feel good about it."

Elam, who, in his 15th season, is the longest-tenured player with the team, went as far as to invoke the platinum standard of comeback play for the franchise.

"I've been involved in a lot of comeback victories with John over the years, and I'm not sure anything compares to this," Elam said. "It was pretty exciting. What was it? Third-and-23?"

"He's a young guy," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "To see him step up and make the plays he made in the final drive and take control of the game, it gives a lot of those players - almost all those players - a lot of confidence in our quarterback.

"That's what leaders do -- that's what competitors do. They don't shy away from competition, from a challenge, and (Cutler) certainly stepped up when he had to."

Many of the Broncos players said Cutler's reaction to the roughest of spots on the winning drive was telling. On second-and-13 from the Broncos 31 - it was the third play of the drive - Cutler dropped back to pass, only to see his first option on the play no longer was an option because a Bills pass rusher was in his face.

So, seeing running back Selvin Young swinging out of the backfield - Young was the second option on the play, Shanahan said - Cutler tried to get the ball to the rookie to avoid the sack.

But, in the heat of the moment, Cutler overthrew Young. The back was behind Cutler, so the loose ball was a lateral that could be recovered by the Bills and would have ended the Broncos' chances for a win.

But Young swatted the ball out of bounds, and the Broncos were left with a third-and-23 with 1:43 to play.

"And we've got to get a first down or we lose the game," Cutler said.

"(You've) got to make plays as a quarterback," Shanahan said. "You can't be afraid. He wasn't afraid (to try) to make a play."

Cutler threw to Javon Walker on a quick hitter that turned into a 21-yard gain on third down, then ran for 7 yards on fourth down to get the first down.

Eight plays later, Elam kicked the winner and Cutler had gone 4-of-6 on the drive, including a spike to stop the clock, for 51 yards.

Shanahan said Cutler also overcame some "rough spots in our communication" during the game because of the noise inside Ralph Wilson Stadium.

"When I looked at it (Monday) morning, I thought he played well," Shanahan said. "He made a number of plays, managed the game well. Especially in those conditions. It was very loud, and sometimes our communication broke down and he had to call a play on his own to get something run. He did a good job with that."

Shanahan and several of his teammates also pointed to a block by Cutler on an option play in the first quarter as an example of what might be possible: Cutler took on safety Donté Whitner on Henry's 33-yard run and put Whitner on the ground.

But winning games, late drives, remaining calm in the storm, that's what quarterbacks are asked to do. Some do, some do not.

And, for his part, Cutler, with a career still ahead of him, seems to already understand Elway's gold- coated Hall-of-Fame shadow will always come with the job here.

"That's why we get paid the big bucks, to make third downs, make two-minute drives," Cutler said. "The Bronco fans, they know it well with John Elway through all those years."

Broncos players apparently knew instantly Cutler was their leader.

"Our players were ready for him to be the starter when he took over the job last year," Shanahan said. "They could see we have a quarterback that has a lot of talent. They saw it again (Sunday). He's just got to keep on getting better. That's what separates the good ones from the great ones."
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
    I really enjoyed this one. Take notice of how Elam compared him to Elway.

More than just a Sunday drive for Cutler

Behind the wheel in Buffalo, Cutler turns into leader
    By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
    September 12, 2007

ENGLEWOOD - As an NFL quarterback, Jay Cutler certainly will be asked to do a lot of things in his vocational life. He'll be asked to win games, to be sure. But to do that, he'll also be asked to win the hearts and minds of the 10 other players staring back at him in the huddle.

That's why, in his first full year as an NFL starter, Sunday just might turn out to be more than a one-point win.

"That last drive . . . defines what we're going to be, what we are about," Broncos running back Travis Henry said. "Guys sucked it up. We knew we had to get in field-goal range or score a touchdown to win. . . . And (Cutler) gave us the feeling we were going to do it. That's what you want."

On the sterile pages of recent history, it simply will say the Broncos went 42 yards in 12 plays in the final 2:13 on the game clock. That Jason Elam kicked a 42-yard field goal for a 15-14 win against the Buffalo Bills on a rainy September Sunday.

But for Cutler, who is next in the line of Broncos quarterbacks to step where John Elway left some of the biggest footprints at any position in the league, it was a chance for a leap of faith.

He acknowledged after the game he felt like his teammates believed in him but that a comeback such as Sunday's still was a major step in affirmation.

"I think they believe in me, but to go out there and do that puts even more faith in me," Cutler said. "I feel good about it."

Elam, who, in his 15th season, is the longest-tenured player with the team, went as far as to invoke the platinum standard of comeback play for the franchise.

"I've been involved in a lot of comeback victories with John over the years, and I'm not sure anything compares to this," Elam said. "It was pretty exciting. What was it? Third-and-23?"

"He's a young guy," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "To see him step up and make the plays he made in the final drive and take control of the game, it gives a lot of those players - almost all those players - a lot of confidence in our quarterback.

"That's what leaders do -- that's what competitors do. They don't shy away from competition, from a challenge, and (Cutler) certainly stepped up when he had to."

Many of the Broncos players said Cutler's reaction to the roughest of spots on the winning drive was telling. On second-and-13 from the Broncos 31 - it was the third play of the drive - Cutler dropped back to pass, only to see his first option on the play no longer was an option because a Bills pass rusher was in his face.

So, seeing running back Selvin Young swinging out of the backfield - Young was the second option on the play, Shanahan said - Cutler tried to get the ball to the rookie to avoid the sack.

But, in the heat of the moment, Cutler overthrew Young. The back was behind Cutler, so the loose ball was a lateral that could be recovered by the Bills and would have ended the Broncos' chances for a win.

But Young swatted the ball out of bounds, and the Broncos were left with a third-and-23 with 1:43 to play.

"And we've got to get a first down or we lose the game," Cutler said.

"(You've) got to make plays as a quarterback," Shanahan said. "You can't be afraid. He wasn't afraid (to try) to make a play."

Cutler threw to Javon Walker on a quick hitter that turned into a 21-yard gain on third down, then ran for 7 yards on fourth down to get the first down.

Eight plays later, Elam kicked the winner and Cutler had gone 4-of-6 on the drive, including a spike to stop the clock, for 51 yards.

Shanahan said Cutler also overcame some "rough spots in our communication" during the game because of the noise inside Ralph Wilson Stadium.

"When I looked at it (Monday) morning, I thought he played well," Shanahan said. "He made a number of plays, managed the game well. Especially in those conditions. It was very loud, and sometimes our communication broke down and he had to call a play on his own to get something run. He did a good job with that."

Shanahan and several of his teammates also pointed to a block by Cutler on an option play in the first quarter as an example of what might be possible: Cutler took on safety Donté Whitner on Henry's 33-yard run and put Whitner on the ground.

But winning games, late drives, remaining calm in the storm, that's what quarterbacks are asked to do. Some do, some do not.

And, for his part, Cutler, with a career still ahead of him, seems to already understand Elway's gold- coated Hall-of-Fame shadow will always come with the job here.

"That's why we get paid the big bucks, to make third downs, make two-minute drives," Cutler said. "The Bronco fans, they know it well with John Elway through all those years."

Broncos players apparently knew instantly Cutler was their leader.

"Our players were ready for him to be the starter when he took over the job last year," Shanahan said. "They could see we have a quarterback that has a lot of talent. They saw it again (Sunday). He's just got to keep on getting better. That's what separates the good ones from the great ones."
    Great find! He is not an Elway but boy is he sure exciting to watch!!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Of course, he's not Elway. Moreover, he has already said he doesn't want to be.

Therefore, he is Cutler. But I'll tell you one thing: He has been better than
    Elway was through his first six games. And he has been better than Manning
    was in his first six games. And he has blown away the two who were
    supposed to be better than he: Leinart and Young.

Nah . . . I don't think Cutler wants to be Elway or anybody except Cutler.
    That's good enough for him.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    #88 Tony Scheffler

Nice post. That was a nice article on Cutler and that 4th qtr. drive for the win was awesome and the first of many.
    2007-08 MVP

Thanks MasterShake for the sig

On Brandon Marshall
    "I'm not going to ever let him settle. I'm going to stay on him to be the best he can." ~ Rod Smith

5. Default

Shanny is a genious!

Go cutler! I almost pee'd my pants watching that drive. Seriously I was watcing on sopcast and i think if it was in my high def. I would have passed out!!!!
    Go Broncos!

I actually think it's good that Cutler doesn't want to be like Elway, or considered the next Elway. Let him develop into his own Quarterback. The problem is Cutler will always be living in the shadow of John Elway unless Cutler can prove he is BETTER than Elway. I am not saying he is going to be better than Elway but the only way all this "next Elway" buisness is going to stop is if Cutler can prove he is better.

Anyway, it's a great read. Shanahan knows what he is doing, he was with Elway for most of Elway's career so he knows how to develop young Quarterbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post

-----
    Good Post.

I agree that through his first 6 games he is better then most QBs through thier first 6 games.

He is playing like someone in thier 4th or 5th year in the league. If he keeps this up I will be more and more comfortable with him at the helm late in the game as were trailing. That drive against the 49ers last year was my favorite one of him I think. I was nervous throughout the whole drive but he led us down the field and had a nice TD Throw to Tony. Just think if We didn't lose to a FG to the Seahawks or 49ers. Cutler could have 3 4th qtr comebacks in his first 6 starts. Thats pretty impressive. I dont like trailing in the 4th quarter but its nice to have a QB thats as calm as him leading the way.

Heres to many more Victories for #6.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Great article, broncos_mtnman! One thing I immediately noticed with Cutler is that Denver has become a very confident passing team. I was pretty envious of Indy, NE, and Cincy in that they were/are very solid in their pass plays, while Denver was like a "oh no, they stopped our run, we have to pass ....."

Now, we don't think twice about passing the ball in any situation. We have confidence whether we go by land or by air. And I'm not too worried when our team is down some points. Hopefully, Jay and the gang stay healthy and keep improving.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Thanks for the post mtnman. Definitely one of if not the best article by RMN's Legwold that i've read.
    When I looked at it (Monday) morning, I thought he played well," Shanahan said. "He made a number of plays, managed the game well. Especially in those conditions. It was very loud, and sometimes our communication broke down and he had to call a play on his own to get something run. He did a good job with that."
    A Q.B. has to have confidence and Jay has certainly proved he has that. In himself and in the team and coaching staff around him.

Even under the toughest circumstances of playing on the road.

BIG props to Jay and his teamates who back him 100%.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post

-----
    Exactly Jay just needs to be himself and other things will take care of themselves.

You know what's interesting is that those other quarterbacks picked ahead of Jay had very poor outings on opening day and Young and Leinart have vastly more starting experience.

Great post Mnt_man

Really... I don't care about comparing Elway or Cutler... Elway will always be Elway… Cutler has to be Cutler… Period… The only thing that really matters is that Cutler & Broncos win...

The guy made some mistakes? Yeah...
    Will he make other mistakes? Sure...

But he also showed that he could handle the pressure very well... He was great when it really mattered… Not many QB are able to do this… Now he has to prove us it’s not just one game but that he can develop as an elite QB, which IMO he’s able to do… Jay has the talent, the poise and the leadership to do this.

Good points of this game are :
    - We won
    - Jay showed all his team-mates he can control a game and win it… that he has all the skills and the leadership you expect from your QB
    - Others D couldn’t only focus on our running game for now… They know Jay can throw…
    - Henry is a good fit for us… If I stay healthy, our O will begin to give some nightmares to D coordinators… LOL
    - Our D can be as good as expected… IMO we have to work on running D and to add more pressure… Bly shut the mouth of many people who criticize him… He’s a great CB… Sure, he will be beat sometimes… as Champ… It’s not because you are good that others can’t make a play against you… It happens…
    - Elam still can kick winning FG

Bad points are :
    - Running D is still questionable
    - Our special teams… They made some good things, but overall it wasn’t a good game… But I expect them to be better with the coaching staff we have.
    - Don’t drop the ball please… Though I admit it happens… but I expect our good WR to catch all that is catchable…
    - Please... Just finish the drives ! Gaining yards is good (show that yoru O can move the ball) but scoring is better... But I'm confident we'll improve in that area...

Now, back to the article… There is one domain I’m glad to see people comparing Elway and Cutler : the money time… I pray that everyone will fear Jay in the money time as much as they feared John…
    Froggy's back !

As long as he has good days and pulls out games like the last one where some part of the team sucked it up, he will get props. He will be compared to the Duke until such time as he exceeds John.

Now that he has showed he can playing the bigs he has to improve, if he does not the media in DEN will crucify him on any mistake. The anticipation of the fans will settle for nothing less than Elway type actions and numbers.

And unfortunately they will not remember the foobars that John had early in his career. the Duke casts a large shadow.

So far in this last game he looked pretty darned good and had some areas he needs to deal with fortunately the good far out weighed the few bad spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    As long as he has good days and pulls out games like the last one where some part of the team sucked it up, he will get props. He will be compared to the Duke until such time as he exceeds John.

Now that he has showed he can playing the bigs he has to improve, if he does not the media in DEN will crucify him on any mistake. The anticipation of the fans will settle for nothing less than Elway type actions and numbers.

And unfortunately they will not remember the foobars that John had early in his career. the Duke casts a large shadow.

So far in this last game he looked pretty darned good and had some areas he needs to deal with fortunately the good far out weighed the few bad spots.
    Good thing for John, there was nothing like the internet we have today, nor the forums, nor access to all the games. Most people are just left with good memories instead. And good thing for John too that there wasn't a John Elway before him in Broncos history. Some imply that was the reason he didn't play for the Colts ... the shadow of Unitas. He said it was an ownership/organization issue.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    Good thing for John, there was nothing like the internet we have today, nor the forums, nor access to all the games. Most people are just left with good memories instead. And good thing for John too that there wasn't a John Elway before him in Broncos history. Some imply that was the reason he didn't play for the Colts ... the shadow of Unitas. He said it was an ownership/organization issue.
    The biggest reason Elway did not want to play for the Colts was their coach
    Frank Kush, with whom Elway's dad Jack was embroiled in a bitter feud. Elway
    just could not see hmself playing for a man who hated his dad, and whom his
    dad hated.

There were other minor factors, such as he also did not like Colts owner Robert
    Irsay very well (but it wasn't hate), and the Colts were on the east cost,
    and Elway wanted to play closer to home in the west. But he could have
    put up with those issues, had it not been for Kush.

But, far as I know, Unitas had nothing to do with it.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Exactly Jay just needs to be himself and other things will take care of themselves.

You know what's interesting is that those other quarterbacks picked ahead of Jay had very poor outings on opening day and Young and Leinart have vastly more starting experience.
    Cutler did a very good job. He is fortunate to be surrounded by alot more talent then Leinart and Young. This staff has done well in bringing in talent ( Henry, Stokley, Marshall, Graham, Walker ) to support Jay and set him up for as much success as possible.

Thats one area no one can compare Cutler to Elway. For years, Elway did it all on his own. He had some talent to work with, but Clarence Kay, the 3 amigos and a plethera of journeymen running backs have nothing on our skill players that are on this team now.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information