Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: 2008 MLB Draft

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Addition of college closer Joshua Fields should help rotation

By John Hickey
    June 5, 2008

SEATTLE—The Mariners think they have helped their starting rotation long-term with the first-round selection of Georgia righthanded closer Joshua Fields.

It's not that the Mariners plan on converting Fields to starting work. But Bob Fontaine, the Mariners' vice president of scouting and point man on the draft, said that the better the bullpen, the better the rotation.

"I learned a long time ago that the shorter you can make the game, the better it is for your starters," Fontaine said. "Teams with real good bullpens shorten up the game so the starters don't have to go eight innings all the time.

"With Josh, we have drafted a kid who has a power arm and a power curve, and who is on a short course to the major leagues."

Fields, 2-2, 2.27 and 16 saves for the Bulldogs this year, consistently throws in the mid-90s, and he's touched 98 mph on the radar gun. Beyond that, the Mariners like the fact that he has a plus curve that comes in at 80-83 mph.

"I have no idea what the team is expecting of me and how long that would take," Fields said, "but personally I would like to be in the majors by next year . But I don't know if that is going to be possible. It'd be tough for me to say now, but I just have to wait and see how things play out. Next year is when I would like to be up there if I'm ready."

John McMichen, the Mariners' East Coast coordinator, said he's seen Fields off and on since Fields was in high school. He said Fields' work this year after an inconsistent 2007 season has been particularly noteworthy.

"We have an extensive history with him," McMichen said. "I saw him pitch against the Atlanta Braves for an inning, and he was throwing his fastball 93-97 and his breaking ball at 83. He gave up a hit, then retired the next three batters he faced.

"He fit in. It's not hard to imagine him in a Mariner uniform."

That didn't mean Fields wasn't surprised to hear his name called.

"I had heard that several teams were interested, with Seattle being one of them," he said. "It was a complete surprise. I hadn't had any calls. I was just sitting there waiting for my name to be called, and I just looked around at my family and I jumped up out of my seat. So it was a complete surprise while I was watching it. It was awesome."

The Braves thought he'd look good in an Atlanta uniform last year when they took him in the second round. But with agent Scott Boras representing him, Fields wasn't able to make a deal and returned for his senior season. The Mariners, who took him 20th overall, don't see a problem with Fields this time around.

"I think maybe his expectations last year was that he was going to go in the first round,'' Fontaine said. "He was a sandwich pick. I don't know the particulars of those negotiations. But we aren't worried about what happened last year.

"We drafted him because we're planning on signing him.''

Fontaine wouldn't say how quickly the club expects Fields to be in the big leagues, but some draft analysts have suggested he could be the first pitcher to make it to the majors. If that is the case, he might be seen in the big leagues at the end of this season or in 2009.

MARINADE

• It's the third year in a row the Mariners have chosen a righthander in the first round. The Mariners selected prep righty Phillippe Aumont 11th overall last year and collegian Brandon Morrow fifth overall in 2006.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Both BA articles from last night.

Aumont, who's only 18 is pitching pretty well in A-Ball

Code:
    Team	League	W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	GO/AO	AVG
    WIS	MID	4	3	1.47	11	5	0	0	2	43.0	29	12	7	2	11	41	1.43	.186
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Royals tab Hosmer, the fourth slugger they've selected in five years

By Alan Eskew
    June 5, 2008
    E-mail Print

KANSAS CITY—Power could be on the way for the Royals, who rank last in the majors in home runs.

For the fourth time in five years, the Royals selected a power-hitting infielder in the first round, picking Eric Hosmer, a lefthanded hitting first baseman from American Heritage High in Plantation, Fla. Hosmer, the third overall selection, was rated as the best high school power-hitter.

The Royals picked Mike Moustakas, who set the California high school record with 54 career home runs, in the first round last year; Alex Gordon out of Nebraska in 2005; and Billy Butler out of a Florida high school in 2004.

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Hosmer hit .470 with 11 home runs and 27 RBIs in leading American Heritage to the state high school championship as a senior.

"He's a winner, always been a winner, he's been surrounded by winners," Royals scouting director Deric Ladnier said. "He was really the guy that picked the team up when it was time to play and really carried that team to a state championship.

"We feel like he's a young man that not only has advance hitting skills, but plus power.
    The bat is the first thing that you're looking at, but defensively, he's as good as you'll find at first base. He's a very good glove. His foot work is great. He's got a very good accurate arm. He's a heady player. He knows where to be at the right time. All of those attributes made it an easy selection for us.

"We've seen him—not that it's a factor because he's not going to be a pitcher—up to 98 (mph) off the mound. He's a complete player."

Hosmer is a Scott Boras client, but the Royals have not shied away from Boras players recently. Moustakas and Luke Hochevar, the Royals' first-round picks the past two years, were advised by Boras. Hosmer has an Arizona State scholarship.

"You draft based on the player's ability versus the player's signability," Royals general manager Dayton Moore said. "We've got to take the best available talent. We've got to be very aggressive in every way.

"We need guys that are future stars out on that diamond if we're going to win a World Series. We think Eric has that type of potential to be that type of guy. He has tremendous talent. He's somebody that can impact a baseball game. He's a great defender at first base. He's a guy that can potentially hit for a high average and a lot of home runs. When you come across this type of talent, it stands out. He has a "wow' factor. It really doesn't take a keen scouting judgment or eye to walk in the ball park on any given night, no matter who's playing, and look at Eric Hosmer who is the best player on the field. It stands out at you."

ROYALTIES

• The Royals used a sandwich-round pick, the 36th overall, on Mike Montgomery, who was considered the best high school lefthander from California. Montgomery, 6-4, 180-pounds, averaged 20 points for his Hart High School basketball team, but was kicked off because of too many technical fouls. Montgomery's works in the 88-92 mph range and has peaked at 94.

• Johnny Giavotella, a 5-8, 185-pound, second baseman from New Orleans, was the Royals' second-round pick, the 49th overall. The Royals selected righthander Tim Melville from Holt High School in Wentzville, Mo., who slipped to the fourth round. He was considered as the top high school pitcher in the country with a 91-94 mph fastball, with a plus curve and size at 6-5, 210-pounds. Melville has signed with North Carolina.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

A Unique Animal

Red Sox take Casey Kelly with top pick

By Alex Speier
    June 5, 2008
    E-mail Print

BOSTON—There are few questions about Casey Kelly's talents. The sole dilemma facing the 18-year-old out of Sarasota (Fla.) High is how he might best apply them.

Kelly—the son of former Blue Jays catcher Pat Kelly—was viewed by scouts as a first-round talent, both as a shortstop and as a righthander pitcher. His abilities extend to the gridiron, as evidenced by a scholarship offer to play quarterback for Tennessee.

His commitment to the Vols led some teams to back off of Casey. The Red Sox, however, were eager to use the 30th and final pick of the first round to take the multi-sport athlete.

"It's a unique animal," general manager Theo Epstein said. "We have someone who is a potential first-round talent as a position player and a pitcher, and who can go to Tennessee and play quarterback."

Kelly was a full-time shortstop through his sophomore season before starting to pitch as a junior. His mound aptitude quickly became obvious, and if he signs, the Sox hope to develop him as a pitcher.

As a high school junior, the 6-foot-3 righthander went 11-0, 0.24 on the strength of a low-90s fastball and changeup. This year, he added a hammer curve that has become a swing-and-miss pitch. In two years, he fanned 139 in 111 innings.

"He's probably got as good of action on his fastball as I've seen from a high school kid in Florida in a long time," said Sarasota coach Clyde Metcalf. "He's very mature on the mound, has great location and throws three plus pitches."

Area scout Anthony Turco saw Kelly pitch at least six times, and a chorus of organizational scouts verified his glowing reports. Scouting director Jason McLeod was impressed by his own first-hand exposure.

"(Kelly had) size, arm action, delivery, worked on both sides of the plate, could throw fastballs away that ran back over the corner—which you don't see a lot out of a high school kid—(and a) hard breaking ball," McLeod said. "It was a good look."

The Sox recognize that Kelly enjoys ample negotiating leverage given his talents and his offer to play at Tennessee. Yet the club—which has typically waited until later rounds to pursue players with signability questions—was sufficiently convinced of Kelly's desire to play pro baseball that it made him its prize pick of this draft.

"You can hear the passion in his voice when he talks about baseball," Epstein said. "We wouldn't have taken him if we didn't feel, in our hearts, that he wanted to go out and play professional baseball."

SOX YARNS

With the 45th overall pick, the Sox selected righthander Bryan Price out of Rice. Price, whose fastball touches 96, worked less than 20 innings in his first two years at Rice while enduring command problems. An adjustment to make his delivery more compact led to a junior year breakthrough.

Red Sox did good.... two pitcher/SS prospects... Hopefully one of them will produce.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Do Mariners fnas not like what Wladimir Balentien and Jeff Clement have the potential to do? These two guys have lots of pop in their bats.

As for Christian Friedrich I like what they say about his make up, yes his command could use some work but most pitchers have something to work on, say he has a good head on him while on the mound which will go along way with helping him work it out. Morales gets shaken way to easy on the mound after a couple of walks and falls apart.
    Last edited by BroncoAV06; 06-06-2008 at 11:51 AM.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Sylvester Williams

Default Just 1 Yankees draft tidbit:

The Yankees took Auburn right-hander Luke Greinke in the 12th round. He is the brother of Kansas City pitcher Zach Greinke.

10. The Following User High Fived keithbishop For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by keithbishop View Post
    The Yankees took Auburn right-hander Luke Greinke in the 12th round. He is the brother of Kansas City pitcher Zach Greinke.
    Hopefully, he's got a better mental makeup than Zack. Not as talented, obviously, but Zack has been a bit of nut case so far.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    Do Mariners fnas not like what Wladimir Balentien and Jeff Clement have the potential to do? These two guys have lots of pop in their bats.
    I love these guys, and they will be part of the future for this team. They were brought up early because we were struggling, but I think it was a little too early. They'll be ready later on and ready to contribute, but we have to put our best bats in there, and despite us not having many; it's just hard to place them in there when they have inconsistency.

Wladimir Balentien is hitting like .200 in his past 30 at bats, which are about 1/3 of what he's done so far. He's got power, and he's a regular arm out in the outfield, but that's just too inconsistent right now.

Clement just did awful in the bigs, which is why he's back in AAA. I thought his hitting would be fine in the majors, and he'd have to adjust defensively a bit.

As G said, I'm not too sure about Raben. He looked pretty good having a homer and a double in the Super Regional game last night against Arizona. He has power, but he doesn't have the best bat speed. I'm fine with Fields as long as we can get him through like Morrow; but I would have been a proponent of a better bat and then go for relief later as G also alluded to.

The thing is, we have some GREAT prospects down in AAA and AA; even A ball.

I was really, really pumped about the guys we drafted last year and most all of our top selections are contributing in a big way in their respective minor league systems. Dunigan, Carroll and Almonte are doing well in A ball with Wisconsin; Carroll has the best average, but the other two, in particular Dunigan show the most power. Consistency is key for those guys, but it's no doubt they can field.

Carlos Triunfel continues to impress, but not as much as he was earlier on. He's only 18 and is doing well in High A ball. He's probably only two more years away from being a 20 year old regular in the bigs, and that's special.

Matt Mangini, I believe was called up from High A to AA; and will be MLB ready within two years. He has good power and would be a solid third basemen. Hell, I think he can even let us get rid of Sexson if we put him at first. We need a lefty with power like him; that's why I believe we went for Raben to begin with.

I'm sure I left out a few, but those are just a couple of prospects who should be good MLB caliber ball players. I don't know as much about baseball as some, because I really stopped following it after I quit club ball in high school; but I started keeping a watch right before the draft last year and have been getting into it more.

There's hope for the Mariners, and I think that getting Fields will help us later on this year, and hopefully getting some bats up in the majors in the future will help. We have a lot of duds that need to be let go, Sexson for one.

Adopted Bronco:
    Sylvester Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    Hopefully, he's got a better mental makeup than Zack. Not as talented, obviously, but Zack has been a bit of nut case so far.
    Sad. He was the most exciting Royals pitching prospect in years. I hope he can keep his focus.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

This is a look at the draft from a fantasy perspective but at the same time I thought that it has some god little tid bits on some of the players.

June 7, 2008, 5:25 PM
    Drafting college relievers is definitely back in vogue.

Back in the late 90s, teams weren't hesitant to use a top selection on a bullpen arm, with Billy Koch, Matt Anderson, and Braden Looper all going with Top-5 picks in successive years from 1996 to 1998.

Then we had a lull in the trend until the White Sox used a first-round pick on Royce Ring in 2002. Three college closers were taken in 2003 and it has culminated with no fewer than five college relievers being selected this year, as teams seek more immediate returns from their draft haul. We'll get to that in a little bit.

The first-year player draft has usually not even been a blip on the fantasy radar screen, but that has changed in recent years as some of the players chosen not only get to the big leagues quicker, but also make an impact quicker.

Although no player from the 2007 draft has reached the big leagues yet, eight of the top 11 picks from the 2006 draft are currently in the big leagues, and that's not even counting Joba Chamberlain (pick No. 41) and Justin Masterson (pick No. 71).

Ryan Zimmerman was taken in the first round in 2005, and actually made it to the big leagues that same year. Other players from that draft like Ryan Braun, Alex Gordon, Troy Tulowitzki, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Matt Garza were already making impact by 2007. The wait for returns from top picks is seemingly getting less and less for teams, and that gives the draft increasing importance for fantasy players.

Let's take a moment to acknowledge all the work Keith Law did this week in his phenomenal draft coverage. It was a fantastic, thorough job. My job is to look at the draft from more of a fantasy bend. I've seen more than a few of the top selections in this draft live -- one of the advantages of being out west -- and more on video (which is helpful, but not the same), and I've combined that with some information from trusted sources.

We're going to take a look at two lists; my top fantasy prospects, and the players that may not have the biggest upside, but may get to the big leagues the fastest.

Pedro Alvarez is a sweet swinging infielder.
    1. Pedro Alvarez (taken No. 2), 3B, Pirates: The current third-base options for the Pirates are ludicrous. Neil Walker is not hitting at Triple-A. It's wide open for Alvarez to claim this job in short order, and I think Alvarez is the best pure hitter in this draft. He has a short, line drive stroke that generates a lot of power and he has an advanced approach at the plate. He's going to hit for average and power in the big leagues now that he has recovered from a broken hamate bone.
    Potential: All-Star third baseman ETA: 2009

2. Buster Posey (taken No. 5), C, Giants: Unlike some other top college catchers that were recently drafted like Walker or Jeff Clement, Posey is going to be a plus backstop defensively, and he's in a system that is pretty barren of catching prospects. He fell a few spots because his upside isn't as great as some of the other players in this draft, but he's a potential .300 hitter with 20-homer pop at a position where that kind of production draws the sharp notice of fantasy owners.
    Potential: Top offensive catcher ETA: 2010

3. Tim Beckham (taken No. 1), SS, Rays: He's the most talented player in the draft, but he's going to take a while to develop, so he got bumped down the fantasy list a tiny bit. I couldn't justify him sliding any further. He's drawn comparisons to B.J. Upton, but you could also draw them to Hanley Ramirez. Both of them took at least four years after signing with a professional club before they got a taste of the big leagues.
    Potential: All-Star shortstop ETA: 2012

4. Eric Hosmer (taken No. 3), 1B, Royals: In the long run, Billy Butler is still a DH, leaving first base open for Hosmer. He was the best high school bat in the draft, with tremendous bat speed and raw power potential to all fields, who should also be able to hit for average. He's going to be worth the wait.
    Potential: All-Star first baseman ETA: 2011

5. Yonder Alonso (taken No. 7), 1B, Reds: His great plate discipline, combined with the ability to hit for average and 30-homer potential make Alonso a pretty sure bet to make the big leagues.
    Potential: Four-category fantasy producer at first base ETA: 2011

Justin Smoak has drawn some very favorable comparisons.
    6. Justin Smoak (taken No. 11), 1B, Rangers: The switch-hitter has drawn the standard comparisons to both Mark Teixeira and Chipper Jones, and could get to the big leagues a bit quicker than Alonso, given his team situation. His smooth swing generates more power than Alonso's, but he may not hit for as much average.
    Potential: Power option at first base ETA: 2010

7. Brett Wallace (taken No. 13), 3B, Cardinals: Defensive concerns pushed him down in the draft a bit, but all fantasy owners care about is that he can hit. He knows the strike zone like his life depends on it, gets great coverage through the hitting areas and will post good on-base percentages with 25 homers. The Cards will have an opening at third base.
    Potential: Quietly productive third baseman ETA: 2010

8. Kyle Skipworth (taken No. 6), C, Marlins: One of the safer picks in the draft, Skipworth has drawn comparisons to Joe Mauer, and the Marlins system is largely bereft of catching. He's likely going to be passable enough to stay behind the plate, and unlike Mauer, he'll have a power-over-average emphasis offensively.
    Potential: Power hitting catcher ETA: 2012

9.Gordon Beckham (taken No. 8), SS, White Sox: Beckham may switch to second base, as the White Sox will eventually move Alexei Ramirez over to shortstop. I don't think they will be shy about promoting him quickly. He consistently gets good wood on the ball with his line-drive swing, and his strong wrists give him surprising power for his size.
    Potential: Michael Young-type offensive player ETA: 2010

10. Brian Matusz (taken No. 4), P, Orioles: The best pitcher in the draft went to a team that needs as much pitching help as it can get. He pitches backwards, using his good secondary stuff to set up his fastball, instead of the other way around, but he's not a soft-tosser and his changeup is a legitimate out pitch. Think "lefty version of Clay Buchholz". He won't spend long in the low minors.
    Potential: No. 2 starter ETA: 2009

Sleepers

Kyle Lobstein (taken No. 47), P, Rays: The high school lefty's stock fell this spring, as his velocity was down a tick, and his stuff wasn't as crisp as it had been last year, but he has a clean delivery with three potential plus pitches. His change is a potential knockout offering. There are some Andy Pettitte/Tom Glavine qualities here.

Conor Gillaspie (taken No. 37), 3B, Giants: He's a doubles hitter that could eventually contend for a batting title, and the team needs a third baseman.

Kiel Roling (taken No. 197), C, Rockies: If he can stay behind the plate, his raw power could do major damage in Coors.

Roger Kieschnick (taken No. 82), OF, Giants: Is he another in a long line of failed Giants power prospects? Perhaps, but he could be a five-category fantasy player if he can tighten up what he swings at and make enough contact.

Colby Shreve (taken No. 196), P, Phillies: He already has a mid-90s fastball, with a potential above-average changeup. A few mechanical tweaks may give him more consistent control, and some added depth in his curve ball, which could allow him to take off.

Potentially quickest to the big leagues
    As I mentioned before, this list isn't necessarily about who has the biggest upside, but who could get to the majors the quickest. As you would expect, polished college players, especially relievers, dominate the list.

Drafting college closers is by no means a sure method of getting a quick return, or a reliable bet for fantasy owners chasing saves.

Chad Cordero was selected in the first round in 2003, and was closing in the big leagues by 2004, but fellow first-rounders David Aardsma and Ryan Wagner have struggled.

Huston Street was drafted as a supplemental first round pick in 2004, and was closing in the majors by 2005, but Bill Bray, who was drafted ahead of him, is still trying to establish himself in the big leagues.

Craig Hansen and Joey Devine were both drafted in 2005 and made the big leagues that same year, with Devine even pitching in the postseason, but it wasn't until this season that both have shown signs they are ready to stick with the big club.

Brandon Morrow was drafted in 2006 as a starter, but he and Mets' third-rounder Joseph Smith both made opening day rosters in 2007.

Last season, the Rockies used a high first-rounder on Casey Weathers, and the Mets took Eddie Kunz as a supplemental first round pick. Both are showing dominance at Double-A, with Kunz closing, and appear to be on the fast track.

The bottom line is that the results have been decidedly mixed for teams that have tried that route. However, it didn't stop the the college closers from coming off of the board quickly in this draft, with five taken in the first round, and a few more in the second and third rounds.

Ryan Perry could see time in the majors this season.
    1. Ryan Perry, RP, Tigers: The Tigers are trying to win right now, and are desperate for bullpen help. He's probably behind Joel Zumaya in the future closer pecking order. As Law has pointed out, the Tigers took college relievers with their next two picks as well, and both Cody Satterwhite and Scott Green could jump to the big league level quickly as well. Those two players might not make the jump well so quickly. Perry can.
    2. Daniel Schlereth, RP, D-backs: With Doug Slaten the team's only lefty option in the bullpen, they will look for Schlereth's power arm to move quickly through the system as the team makes a playoff run.
    3. Josh Fields, RP, Mariners: He will be the team's future closer and give the team more flexibility to move Brandon Morrow to the rotation. He might be the best bet for saves in this draft class.
    4. Pedro Alvarez
    5. Andrew Cashner, RP, Cubs: He's another college closer that could find himself in a setup role in the big leagues fairly quickly with his fastball/slider combo.
    6. Brian Matusz
    7. Aaron Weatherford, RP, Rockies: He'll be following right behind Casey Weathers on the fast track to a Rockies bullpen that is likely to get a big overhaul by next season.
    8. Brett Wallace
    9. Christian Friedrich, SP, Rockies: The Rockies pushed Greg Reynolds quickly, and they could so the same with this polished first-rounder.
    10. Ike Davis, 1B, Mets: The heir apparent to Carlos Delgado may not hit for much average, but he can bring the homers.
    11. Conor Gillaspie
    12. Gordon Beckham
    13. Johnny Giavotella, 2B, Royals: There are some comparisons to Marcus Giles, and his strike zone judgement could help him move quickly.
    14. Zack Stewart, RP, Reds: Drafted in the third round, he's another college closer that could accelerate to the big leagues quickly in a middle relief/setup role
    15. Daniel Espinosa, SS, Nationals: Long Beach State shortstops (Bobby Crosby, Troy Tulowitzki, Evan Longoria) have had a good track record, and ability to move quickly to the big leagues. Espinosa isn't as polished as the others when they went pro, but he could improve quickly.

Jason Grey is a graduate of the MLB Scouting Bureau's Scout Development Program and has won two Tout Wars titles, one LABR title and numerous other national "experts" competitions.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information