Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 MLB Draft

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Well yeah! Mariners have gone for a lot of high school players early on, and we haven't taken that many college players it seems. . . are you anxious for this Royals pick!?
    No...pretty much knew it was Hosmer. Wanted Posey, but you can't be disappointed, your fifth round pick is just as likely to be a stud as your top guy.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Sox could look to draft Reese Havens, who if he would have signed for slot money the Soxs would have taken him over Ellsbury in 2005. (From baseballamerica)

3 Kansas City Royals Eric Hosmer 1B American Heritage H.S. (Plantation, Fla.)
    Hosmer has the most raw power of anyone in the first round, but also has a very refined appraoch at the plate. He has very quick hands and good plate coverage. he has a hold middle in, but if pitchers try to pitch him inside, they'd better get it all the way inside. He can hit the ball out to left or left-center. I like his chances potentially to move to right field. He's a good athlete. He has plenty of arm to play right field. He gives the Royals a lot of flexibility.
    Another Boras client and Arizona St. signee signability could be an issue.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    Sox could look to draft Reese Havens, who if he would have signed for slot money the Soxs would have taken him over Ellsbury in 2005. (From baseballamerica)

Another Boras client and Arizona St. signee signability could be an issue.
    Well...they better sign his ass if they passed on Posey, because Posey is asking for a lot of dough.

Seven mil is the rumor. Sign his ass and get him up to Boise.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Rolling now:
    4 Baltimore Orioles
    Brian Matusz LHP San Diego
    Probably the fastest moving starter in the draft. The Orioles have to consider moving him quickly through the system. He has about four average or better pitches. Not a ton of projection here; he is today what he's going to be three or four years from now. His offspeed stuff is so good that he'll miss a lot of bats in the low minors and not have a chance to work on fastball command.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Little bit of a wrinkle by San Fran by taking Posey.

What do you think about the Royals pick Mo? Do you like it?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm surprised Posey slipped to 5. Now let's see where my boy Shooter Hunt goes.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

2:21 p.m. ET: There's a 90 percent chance that the Cardinals will take Brett Wallace at No. 13.
    Not sure about their catcher situation in the minors but Molina is up their in age and well yes they do not have a catcher with potential in the system. Gives them a much needed quaility bat for the near future in their ageing line-up.

5 San Francisco Giants
    Buster Posey C Florida State
    Posey is the best catcher in the draft, and he is likely to move quickly. There is very little downside to Posey. Defensively, he can play in the big leagues right now. Catching is a glaring need for the Giants in their farm system. And Posey is one of the best makeup guys in the draft.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BOSSHOGG30 View Post
    What do you think about the Royals pick Mo? Do you like it?
    I don't know anything about the kid, but if he can hit home runs at the professional level, I'll be happy. Have to get him signed and into the system. I'd like to see him in KC by 2011. 2010 at the earliest, I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    I'm surprised Posey slipped to 5. Now let's see where my boy Shooter Hunt goes.
    Money...asking for 12 mil...Giants had said, through innuendo, of course, that they would probably take him if he slipped. That's how Porcello (sp?) slipped into the 20s last year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

P.S. I haven't been over to the Royals Board to see what they are saying.

Also...I would have liked Posey, because that would make Buck tradeable, and soon, too.

But...if this kid is the real deal, and I'd like to see the Royals get him signed, soon, and maybe be in A-Ball by the end of the season.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Heres some scouting on the kid MB:
    An Aflac All-American, pre-season HS All-American, Hosmer is one of the most decorated prep players in this years draft class. Playeed for Team USA's junior team last summer, member of one of the nations top HS teams. Regularly comapared to Casey Kotchman, Hosmer is a physical specimen with bat speed to spair. Swinging from the left side Hosmer has as much raw power as anyone in the draft. Power ranges to all fields, plate recognition is a bit of concern. Solid defender, above average arm, closer on HS team touching 95mph on the mound, can be above average defender with some work, has one ofhighest celling of any player in the draft and could be an All-Star first basemen.
    6 Florida Marlins Kyle Skipworth C Rubidoux H.S.,
    Riverside, Calif.
    Skipworth has the potential to be a star behind the plate. Like Posey, he's only been playing the position for a short time, but he has a very strong arm. If he is able to stay behind the plate, he can be a superstar-caliber hitter. He gets his arms extended nicely, and his power will only increase with age. If he can't stay behind the plate, he could always move to another position. His bat will play will at first base or a corner outfield position.

7 Cincinnati Reds
    Yonder Alonso 1B Miami
    Alonso is the first surprise of the draft. It's a surprise because they weren't linked to him and he's asking for $8 million and a major league deal. He's a left-handed power hitter with a very patient approach, and he should hit for quite a bit of power at Great American Ballpark. What does this mean for Joey Votto?
    Once they move Griffey Jr. would think that they would try and put Votto in RF, as much pub as Bruce has got Votto is legit as well and the Reds are looking to have major power for years to come.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

If they need to send Joey Votto somewhere, the Royals will take him...

For, oh, say...Jimmy Gobble and Brian Bannister...maybe...

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

8 Chicago White Sox Gordon Beckham SS Georgia
    He wasn't supposed to be available at this spot, so the White Sox must be thrilled. He play second base, but there's a good chance he stays at shortstop. He has tremendous baseball instincts. He'll probably move pretty quickly through the system. He instantly becomes the best prospect in the organization the day he signs.
    Well BA had him going to the Soxs at eight a couple of weeks ago. Looks to be a plus hitter but might not have all the tools to stick at SS.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

All these little tid bits are from Kieth Law:
    9 Washington Nationals
    Aaron Crow RHP Missouri
    Crow is the top college pitcher on my board. He might have two plus pitches right now. He's a power pitcher who projects as a No. 2 starter. If he can sustain his velocity at the high end, he has a chance to be a No. 1 starter. He had good command throughout his college career.
    Crow has a fastball 92-96, tops at 98mph, hard sink, with command, plus slider but can rely on it to much. Some teams wonder if his mechanics will force him to be a closer but the kids has teh stuff.

Baseball America is also a great source which I am using as well, next year I will be all over the baseball draft, lol.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    Well BA had him going to the Soxs at eight a couple of weeks ago. Looks to be a plus hitter but might not have all the tools to stick at SS.
    Most drafted SS never play SS...Moustakis is now for the Royals, but it probably won't last.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information