Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 MLB Draft

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

Quote Originally Posted by BOSSHOGG30 View Post
    The St. Petersburg Times reports that the Rays will take high school SS Tim Beckham with the No. 1 pick in Thursday's draft.

Instead of filling a need at catcher with Buster Posey, the Rays will apparently go with the Beckham, a five-tool player who is said to have plenty of baseball smarts and superstar upside. Part of this could be due to Posey supposedly floating $12 million as his asking price.
    Source: St. Petersburg Times
    I think this would be a mistake.

Posey seems like the best fit. A year or two in the minors and he should be ready to go. Catchers are at a premium to find.

Unless Beckham has Upton like tools I would pass.
    [

1. Tim Beckham, SS, Griffin High School (GA)

What To Expect: In a tight race for the title of number one overall pick, Beckham has a slight edge over Buster Posey and Pedro Alvarez. According to sources, he's likely the leading candidate going into Thursday. Now, of course, we need to consider where he may go if the Rays take their top choice and use it on someone else. The Pittsburgh Pirates appear to have their sights set on Pedro Alvarez at this point, and would be likely to pass on Beckham. Their fan base is craving a player who can help in a hurry and Beckham may not be that guy. With that in mind, Beckham would be an attractive option for both Kansas City and Baltimore at picks three and four respectively. The Giants at pick number five have not shown quite the interest, but could take a hard look if some of their top options are off the board. That leaves us with the Florida Marlins with the sixth pick. This is the farthest you will see Beckham fall on draft day. According to source, Florida would pounce in a hurry if the exciting high school shortstop were to be there. If he is not the top pick, this could be his next most likely landing place.

What The Scouts Say: "Beckham is that player loaded with tools that everyone wants to see at the top of the draft class. He's got all the athleticism and speed you could want and a real feel for the game."

2. Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vanderbilt

What To Expect: In terms of statistics and overall performance, it would easy to call Pedro Alvarez' junior season a disappointment. The fact of the matter is, however, that it is hard to find a scout that would agree with that sentiment. Despite a hand injury keeping him out of the lineup for a good portion of the spring and less than Alvarez-like numbers since getting back into the action, the general consensus is that he hasn't missed a beat or had any of his prospect status diminished. He has an outside chance of being the top overall pick, but that, at this point appears to be unlikely. What appears to be more and more of a likelihood though is that the Pirates will take him with the number two overall selection. He's expected to ask for the big bucks, but it doesn't appear to be scaring anyone off. As unlikely as it seems, if the Vanderbilt star slips by Pittsburgh he could be in play for Kansas City but will not get past the Baltimore Orioles at number four.

What The Scouts Say: "He's going to hit. Everyone knows he was hurt and the statistics don't look like they should but he just hits. When he's right, there's no one in the class the matches him in that department."

3. Buster Posey, C, Florida State

What To Expect: Perhaps the word isn't "shocking", but the word to describe Posey's monstrous spring performance and rapid ascension to the top of the '08 class would certainly have to be something in the neighborhood of "pleasantly surprising." Not a player in the nation, at any level, can match the FSU catcher's play this season and it has put him squarely in position as a near lock for the top five overall picks. There's a current divide among scouts and experts about who the Rays will take as the top overall selection, with Buster Posey being the alternative to the aforementioned Tim Beckham. Tampa Bay's scouting department has yet to come close to tipping their hand, but while Beckham has the very slight edge Posey is by no means a long shot. If he is not the top choice, Pittsburgh is rumored to have interest, but appear to be set on Pedro Alvarez. Kansas City will most likely pass and Baltimore will take a long look, but will most likely lean towards left-handed pitcher, Brian Matusz. The righty swinging catcher's slide would more than likely end there, though. The Giants have been all over the Seminole backstop and would not let him slip by.

What The Scouts Say: "The move behind the plate went smoothly. And, we know what a hot commodity a catcher who can swing the bat is. Posey may not be a slugger, but he can swing the bat and stick behind the plate."

4. Brian Matusz, LHP, San Diego

What To Expect: With this being a year dominated by hitters, it seems like Matusz has been the forgotten man at times. By no means, however, is he being forgotten by teams picking in the top ten. All along, there have been whispers, as faint as they may be, that teams picking in the top three could have interest in the southpaw strikeout artist. Even with that being said, Matusz is the favorite to land with Baltimore at pick number four. The Giants, always on the hunt for pitching, could also be a fit for the tall left-hander. The most interesting recent rumor has Matusz linked with the Florida Marlins. Rumors have been flying of late that Florida has been looking for a pre-draft deal with someone; whether that player is Matusz is unknown but it's certainly a possibility. If he falls any farther than the sixth pick it will be very surprising.

What The Scouts Say: "He really the total package. [Matusz] is everything you could want when you are drafting a college pitcher. The command, the live stuff, the polish. It's all there."

5. Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

What To Expect: Justin Smoak has been one of the more difficult prospects to make a prediction on in this year's draft class. Considering he has some perceived high bonus demands, that could play a large role in that uncertainty. Although the demands are still unknown, we won't know for sure until the draft begins to unfold but Smoak could be the player this year who slides farther than his talent would indicate. The Baltimore Orioles have proven to be unafraid of taking on tough negotiations and they are probably his earliest possible destination. Look for the Giants, Reds, and especially the Nationals to be major players for the South Carolina slugger. The odds are that he won't get by Washington at pick number nine, but if he does, the slide could begin.

What The Scouts Say: "After Alvarez, Smoak is the next guy. He's got a lot of competition with all the big bats this year, but he can swing it from both sides and will hit for big power at the next level. You have an idea of what you're getting with him."

6. Eric Hosmer, 1B, American Heritage High School (FL)

What To Expect: Hosmer is being talked up as a major wildcard in this class and as the player who could really slide down the first round. If that were to happen it would shakeup the entire makeup of the draft. But, it is looking less and less likely that that scenario will play out. The Royals appear to be undeterred by Hosmer and Scott Boras' reported sky-high bonus demands. It would come as quite a surprise if the Royals top selection come draft day was not the high school slugger. If the Royals do pass on him, then it is time to start looking for other landing spots in the first round for his enormous price tag. Washington, at pick number nine has proven to be a free spending team when it comes to the draft and it would say a lot about the size of Hosmer's demands if even they let him slide by.

What The Scouts Say: "He's not your typical high school hitter. He's not all about the big raw power or what he shows in the batting cage. The kid can just hit. His approach is not anything like a high school player's usually is."

7. Aaron Crow, RHP, Missouri

What To Expect: A combination of power stuff and college polish, Crow will be a sought after commodity come draft day and will not make it out of the top ten picks. Where exactly in those top ten picks he could go is in flux. The Reds and White Sox at picks seven and eight have been taking a long look at the hard throwing righty, according to several scouts. He could go as high as number four overall to the Orioles, but that appears unlikely.

What The Scouts Say: "There's not many arms out there like Aaron Crow. He's got power stuff and has been very durable this spring. He hit a rough patch and his stuff didn't look as lively but he looks like he's back in top form."

8. Kyle Skipworth, C, Patriot High School (CA)

What To Expect: Few players have been as talked about in this draft class as much as Kyle Skipworth. His performance in front of scouts and word of his recent workouts with various teams have been the buzz of the last couple weeks. Despite some poor performances in front of scouts and in his workouts, Skipworth has bounced back and had some incredibly impressive displays. The latest word is that he put on absolute show at a pre-draft workout for the Nationals, putting ball after ball into the stands in batting practice. That also may not be the last time he launches home runs for them. According to sources, Washington will not pass on the slugging catcher if he's available at pick number nine. With the Marlins all over him and potentially using the sixth overall pick on him, however, the Nationals may not get their man.

What The Scouts Say: "Skipworth has some work to do behind the plate but he's got the skills to stay back there. His ticket is his bat though. He's got huge upside at the plate."

9. Shooter Hunt, RHP, Tulane

What To Expect: There have been reports that Hunt is slipping down the draft boards, but according to a handful of industry sources, those reports are at least somewhat unfounded. Both teams in Texas appear to be on hot on the hard throwing Tulane ace's tail and his most likely landing place is with the Texas Rangers at number eleven. Hunt could go as high as the eighth overall pick to the White Sox, who are also said to have significant interest in the right-hander. He's expected to be signable for slot money so it's unlikely that a signable power arm with a college track record will slip too far.

What The Scouts Say: "There have been some concerns with his command, definitely. But, it is very hard to ignore the power stuff and the two plus pitches. He has frontline potential."

10. Brett Wallace, 1B/3B, Arizona State

What To Expect: Rumors that Wallace could go as high as the eighth overall pick to the White Sox have fizzled of late, but in that time more rumors have emerged. The Nationals are said to have interest as well as Oakland with the twelfth overall pick. If nothing else, he fits beautifully into the "Moneyball" concept. No, they aren't selling jeans, so even with a "bad body" which really is not nearly as bad as it is made out to be, the Athletics will not let that influence their evaluation of the lefty slugger.

What The Scouts Say: "Say what you want about his body are his defense, or that he will have to play first base.

Quote Originally Posted by MHCBill View Post
    Where do you think "Stinky's" kid will go?

Probably second round...
    I think he will be a late 1st rounder early 2nd rounder. Hard to find good lefties.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Got my Baseball America in front of me at work, ready to go. Looking forward to reloading the system and catching a few of these guys in a year or two come through Albuquerque.

Rockies projected pick in their mock was Jake Odorizzi, I know they have looked at him and looks to be their pick at 25.

Tim B. makes sense for the Rays. Evan is locked up for the long haul at third, he does not have the power at this point as Pedro but he is right up there in the top three in most catagories, 2nd behind Skipworth as the best pure hitter in High School, 3rd best definsive player in HS, and is considered a 5-tool player.

Buster Posey's contract was also an issue I read.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    Got my Baseball America in front of me at work, ready to go. Looking forward to reloading the system and catching a few of these guys in a year or two come through Albuquerque.

Rockies projected pick in their mock was Jake Odorizzi, I know they have looked at him and looks to be their pick at 25.

Tim B. makes sense for the Rays. Evan is locked up for the long haul at third, he does not have the power at this point as Pedro but he is right up there in the top three in most catagories, 2nd behind Skipworth as the best pure hitter in High School, 3rd best definsive player in HS, and is considered a 5-tool player.

Buster Posey's contract was also an issue I read.
    Beckham is probably going No. 1.

I don't know what your work situation is, but you can watch it at mlb.com.

I took a late lunch to watch the first hour...I'm hoping that its not a 1/2 of talk and THEN the draft, but it looks like it might be. Good thing I have Soren Petro's show on the radio (best radio show I've ever listened to).
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Ya, well my job is to edit shows so I will have draft tracker up since I don't want to miss any f-bombs that might slip through if I am listening to the draft, lol. Says Beckham will go first.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

It's official - TB - Beckham

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Keith Law:
    1 Tampa Bay Rays Tim Beckham SS Griffin (Ga.) H.S.
    The Rays take the best overall player on the board. The system isn't particularly strong at middle infield, so if he stays at shortstop or moves to second, he'd probably be the second-best prospect in their system after David Price. His selections show a willingness to think long term because they didn't go for a player like Buster Posey who could get their quicker. Instead, they took the best player available.
    See what happens with Pedro, will the Pirates want to deal with Boras?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

BA says it should go:
    Pittsburgh, Alvarez
    Kansas City, Hosmer
    Baltimore, Matusz
    San Francisco, Smoak
    Florida, Posey
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Mariners I believe are picking 20. I don't get excited too much about the baseball draft because it's much different from the NFL; and in regards to when players will actually make it to the bigs, but I'm excited.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Rumblings:
    More pre-draft buzz (1:57 p.m.): Law is hearing that catcher Kyle Skipworth from Riverside, Calif., will indeed go to Florida at No. 6.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Mariners I believe are picking 20. I don't get excited too much about the baseball draft because it's much different from the NFL; and in regards to when players will actually make it to the bigs, but I'm excited.
    College players should make an impact in 1-2 years, High School can take a while...4-5 years sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    College players should make an impact in 1-2 years, High School can take a while...4-5 years sometimes.
    Well yeah! Mariners have gone for a lot of high school players early on, and we haven't taken that many college players it seems. . . are you anxious for this Royals pick!?

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Yep, it is a different kind of excitment. Top players have a shot at cracking the big leauge roster next year depending on the teams situations and injuries and maybe even September call-ups if the team is so far out of centention. I have become more of a fan of player development in the past years and looking forward to them hitting the bigs.

2 Pittsburgh Pirates
    Pedro Alvarez 3B Vanderbilt
    The pick makes sense for the Pirates, who have had a hard time developing power hitters and don't have a lot in their system. If he moved to first base, he'd have a clear path to the majors there. Same thing at third base. My only concern is that they didn't pick the best player on the board at this point. Justin Smoak would have made just as much if not more sense. But if everything clicks with Alvarez, the Pirates have a cleanup hitter for the next several years with 40-homer potential in the majors.

16. The Following User High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

I'm praying that the Red Sox get a short stop in this draft and some more depth at pitching. I love Jeb Lowrie, but I don't think they figure him in as a valuable SS like I do. They probably like him more at 3rd.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information