Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Broncos will have to deal with Bailey decision

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Actually, with no cap there is NO CAP HIT. The Raiders, other than being fleeced with all the guaranteed money they owed him, took no penalties for releasing Russell.

For instance, we could cut Jarvis Moss and get out from under his 1st round contract with no penalties to the cap because there isn't one. We'd have to pay him whatever unpaid guaranteed bonus money ha has coming, but we'd get to dump his salary and wouldn't be paying him to not dress on Sunday like we've done for 3 years now.

your correct no cap hit but his total "cap hit" was in that 152 million total they showed.

as for Moss his contract is very minor as this point in the rookie contract.

I want to see if he is worth a crap hopefully by now his staff infection problems should be done with and after a year int eh scheme he might know where the urinals are.

2. The Following User High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Coach probably has issues with people on team older than he is...

Quote Originally Posted by jhildebrand View Post
    Moss walked away last summer and was ready to call it quits until his agent informed him he was about to lose $6 Million or whatever it was.
    Where did you get this?

I can see Champ leaving, and considering his age, I don't think we'll be offering him as big of a deal as he wants. Thanks for the memories Champ.

Adopted Bronco:
    D.Thomas....the next great broncos WR

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    Where did you get this?
    i remember hearing that moss seriously considered retirement last spring/summer

Seems like we never pay our players. But the thing that I do seem to like about McDaniels and crew is that at least we will trade players and get a value for them. We don't just let guys walk for the most part. So its nice getting value for them. I'd like to keep Dumervil and Champ for a while more. We'll see what happens.

And nice quote in your sig Jr
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Getting rid of Kyle "The lame duck" Orton, Lonnie "waste of roughly $3 mil on a long-snapper" Paxton, Russ "I'm the highest paid, past my prime, backup O-lineman in the league" Hochstein, and Jarvis "I've never amounted to anything or earned a cent of that first round money" Moss should free up some space. Just a thought.

The current regime has made just as foolish moves with FAs as the old one did. They CHOSE to revamp the roster and bring in high priced FAs on both sides of the ball. Not attempting to keep one of the best CBs in history so we can sign a couple more worthless-assed backups to overpriced (yet cheaper than Champ's!) contracts while we polish our pennies is almost criminal.
    "high priced FAs"? Please, show us what you're talking about. How about a comparison between the old regime vs the new one.

I have an idea you might be incorrect.

Plus....umm...didn't shanny draft JMoss? Just sayin'....

Right. I'm sure Champ loves having no security that he'll be in Denver after this year. You know there's more to it than just the bottom line dollar amount, right? Guys take less money than they may originally want all the time to either go to certain teams or stay with certain teams as long as their future is secure.
    There's this thing called a CBA. It's this agreement that, to put it simply, keeps the players happy, their agents happy, the owners happy, and the tv boys happy. Now, as of 7:54p, CDT, 6/29/2010, there ISN'T this agreement. And as such, 90% of the teams aren't doling out long term/big dollar contracts to soon-to-be-unrestricted-free-agents. Now, I'm sure they are much smarter, but to little old me, I sure wouldn't want to BUY something this year that is going to take up a larger percentage of my budget next year, when there's other things I'll also need, especially when, and most importantly, I don't yet know WHAT my budget will be!

The media has nothing else to harp on these day. There are only so many players that are going to punch somebody, or rape somebody, so now they're going to try to create a rift when a rift isn't present.

immho

Why not? Is Orton going to lead us to a Superbowl this year? Not likely AT ALL... Would Quinn really be that much worse? Probably not. Orton ain't coming back and he ain't playing for the Broncos after this year. He's nothing more than a hired gun playing for himself and the contract some other team offers him at the end of the year when he becomes an UFA.
    If I recall, contract years USUALLY bring out the Best in players. I don't think anybody but a select few on the board would really be butt hurt if Orton went out there and lit it up.

I strongly doubt Mike Leach would've ever been paid anywhere near what Paxton was. Paxton was paid because he was a McDaniels bootlicker and NE would'nt pay him because he wanted TOO MUCH MONEY.
    I think the last 3-5yrs, Leach was actually on the brink of making the team. He's a one-trick pony. Not much use for them, these days.
    Last edited by rcsodak; 06-29-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Where did you get this?
    the denver post reported it. . .

i don't know how far back they archive their articles, but a google search might still find something. . .

edit: here's PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-retirement/

fox31:

http://community.kdvr.com/_Sources-B...idgetId=216686
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post
    "high priced FAs"? Please, show us what you're talking about. How about a comparison between the old regime vs the new one.

I have an idea you might be incorrect.

Plus....umm...didn't shanny draft JMoss? Just sayin'....
    Here you go, I'll let you peruse the list and make your own decisions (remember, these are last years numbers, Orton makes 3X that now) but I find it interesting that most of the guys McDaniels brought in make a lot more money than do the guys who were already here.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/f...ar=2009&team=9

Some of my favorites...

Chris Simms $3.46 Mil <- highest paid QB not on the team anymore... great investment, IMO!
    Jabar Gaffney $3 Mil
    Ron Fields $3 Mil
    Paxton $1.6 Mil ... FOR A LONG-SNAPPER!

I forget what it cost to rebuild the D-line from scratch for the second consecutive year but I know it's a lot of cash. How much are we paying Bannan and Green to come in and hopefully start (even though they haven't been called on to do that much thus far)? How much are we paying J-Wall in hopes he'll recover from injury and be more than a shell of his former self?

Just saying. I'd rather use the money on Champ and Dumervil, two guys who I know produce and do so consistently year after year.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

12. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Dont remind me about Simms. What a terrible pickup and the money? Good grief.

Umm, unless it's freeing up money to sign Dumervil long term. I'd much rather pay Dumervil to play than pay Moss not to dress on Sunday. I've got a feeling that Moss is only still on the team because he's a first round pick that has ZERO trade value and Bowlen is probably still holding out hope that he'll develop some day and not be a complete bust. He's probably only still on the team because he won't let Josh cut him. That's my hunch.

Moss has done absolutely nothing noteworthy since his rookie season. Every year he gets the same fluff piece about working hard and trying to earn a starting spot. Every year he fails. This year will be no different. Unless Bowlen really is ordering Josh to keep Moss around, I don't expect Moss to make it out of camp.
    Why would Bowlen be telling McD to keep him? He's cut other players that didn't pan out. Lelie? Middlebrooks? Nash? O'Neal? Maddox? Gregory? Williams?
    Why would McD feel the need to keep him? He's got nothing more invested in him than any other current player on the roster.

Here you go, I'll let you peruse the list and make your own decisions (remember, these are last years numbers, Orton makes 3X that now) but I find it interesting that most of the guys McDaniels brought in make a lot more money than do the guys who were already here.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/f...ar=2009&team=9

Some of my favorites...

Chris Simms $3.46 Mil <- highest paid QB not on the team anymore... great investment, IMO!
    Jabar Gaffney $3 Mil
    Ron Fields $3 Mil
    Paxton $1.6 Mil ... FOR A LONG-SNAPPER!

I forget what it cost to rebuild the D-line from scratch for the second consecutive year but I know it's a lot of cash. How much are we paying Bannan and Green to come in and hopefully start (even though they haven't been called on to do that much thus far)? How much are we paying J-Wall in hopes he'll recover from injury and be more than a shell of his former self?

Just saying. I'd rather use the money on Champ and Dumervil, two guys who I know produce and do so consistently year after year.
    Those numbers don't tell me anything, 56, other than they're pretty cheap.

Surely you don't forget the MULTITUDE of FA's that the old regime would sign, hoping to "save" the defense.

I'd say McD has done WONDERS with very little money. Especially in comparison to how Shanny spent.

He turned over the team last year, and actually SAVED money. I'm thinking Shanny would have had the team leading the list if he was still in charge. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Champ won't be here next season. The Raiders didn't pay an aging Law, and we know McD wants to be just like Billy. Champ will go somewhere else, and get paid. Then, he might eventually move to safety.. maybe. But it will be for someone else. There is no way.. no way... McD breaks his pattern and signs Bailey to a contract that would compare to what he could get elsewhere.

Goodness.

I remember when I made a mistake with a player with the same last name as another, and got ridiculed/chided/harrassed/bemoaned/belittled/chastised/grilled/accused (whew....almost ran out of breath)....

....so, far be it for me to stoop to the same level as the levelers.....

Where did you get this?
    (Not being rude)but how did you NOT hear about it?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...ing-retirement

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=4377411

3.6 Million big ones apparently changed his mind quickly!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information