Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Official Fishing Thread

Default The Official Fishing Thread

Don't see any other threads out there about fishing. So let's talk fishing.

(I'm not sure this is considered "sport," but had to put it somewhere)
    This space available for lease.

2. The Following User High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

I love fishing! I am not great, but it's the most relaxing and exciting hobby I've got.
    Haven't been out this year yet, but plan on sneaking away with my son real soon. He and I enjoy our quiet time together. I have the record catches, so he'll be out to one-up me this year.
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I haven't been fishing at all since I moved to SD...mostly because of how much I miss bass fishing. And there is a fishing thread here somewhere.

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

Gnomey change the name to Gnomey's fishing thread. SR is right about there being another one somewhere...I couldn't find it either.
    It would be fun to have one from a girl's perspective though.
    I could use some helpful hints...
    What are best times to stream fish?
    What the best bait to use on various types of fish?
    What's worked better for you?
    I use worms, but last year we had lots of nibbles but not alot of catches (except my big one of course)...
    What's the best time you've found to fish?
    Is is possible to catch fish midday and would you use different bait to catch bass or catfish midday then morning or evening?
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

If you don't have a boat and you're shore fishing, the best time to fish for largemouth bass is in the morning from April-June when they're spawning. There are a lot of variables though, like water temperature, outside temperature, water color, etc. If I'm fishing from the shore for largemouth bass, I'll usually get there before sun up and fish until about 10-11am. Once the sun starts to get high, they'll move to deeper, cooler waters. I like to start out with topwater lures, then as it starts to warm up I'll switch to a shallow water crank bait or if I'm fishing cover I'll switch to a spinner bait or Texas rig some worms (I like Culprit 7" worms or sometimes I'll use a 6" finesse worm). Occasionally I'll use a tube or jig, but not often. Having a boat changes everything though. If you wanna know about bass fishing, largemouth in particular, ask all you want.

7. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

I looked for the fishing thread but couldn't find one. Otherwise I would have posted in that.

I can't change the title. I don't have that power.

My 10 year old out-fishes my husband every time they go. He put random bait on his line, and the fish line up to get it. He pulled in 3 trout by doing that.

Bananas have been bad luck. Don't bring bananas on the boat.

Most of the lakes here are stocked with trout. Salmon fishing is in the Columbia River.

A popular bait amongst the bass is a "wedding ring" set up. They also like marshmallows.
    This space available for lease.

9. The Following User High Fived gnomeflinger For This Post:

Depends what you are fishing for and how and a what type of water etc...

I like fishing in lakes. SR is right. The time of day really matters... early in the morning like 6-630 and evening like 6-730- fish esp trout really start biting. They water is not too hot on the surface and the fish like to jump and eat the bugs that come out during those times.

I use lures doing those peak hours, hunting hours. IF its mid day and the fish are deep like SR said for the cool waters, then I go with the rainbow power bait, if not worms, salmon eggs etc are fine.....If you have crawdads, use their meat!!!!!

Trout looooove crawdad meat. Use a tail, like a lobster tail or claw-my goodness do they eat that up. I want to take my son fishing, he has never been yet.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

11. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I don't know shit about trout fishing, or anything other than bass. I don't use live bait for bass though. Some people like to use shad or small perch, but I won't. I'd rather not have to deal with throwing out a cast net, etc, because if you catch shad with it, chances are you scared the bass away from the school of shad when you threw the cast net in. I'd rather find where the shad are, throw on a good crank bait or jerk bait, and go to town.

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie Royal

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Damn...that thread hasn't been posted in for a long time.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Colorado man catches monster halibut in Alaska

Picture on link

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-big-fi...,4647391.story

ANCHORAGE, Alaska, - A Colorado man fishing off coast of the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska hauled in a 337-pound halibut. It's easily the biggest catch in Alaska this season.

Aaron Buscher, 34, of Conifer, Colo., caught the 7-foot, 4-inch halibut late Monday morning in Resurrection Bay while competing in a fishing derby.

"At first, I wasn't sure if I had a big one or not, but after about 5 minutes I realized that I had an unbelievable fish and I started what would be the catch of a lifetime!" Buscher said.

It was Buscher's first trip to Alaska. The experts there say he now has an insurmountable lead for the $10,000 top prize in the Seward Halibut Derby which runs June 1 to June 30.

It took him 45 minutes to haul the big fish to dock in Seward. He had been fishing south of Alaska's Montague Island.

"It was bigger than anything I've ever dreamed of," Buscher told the Anchorage Daily News. "I didn't even know they got that big. Everybody was floored when that thing hit the surface. It was like a submarine coming up."

It took four big men to get the giant fish on board the boat, called the Crackerjack. Capt. Andy Mezirow said, "Everybody was very boisterous and ecstatic. Aaron hugged the fish as soon as he got it in the boat. You know, there are really not many halibut in the ocean that big, and it's nice when a fisherman realizes it's a once-in-a-lifetime fish."

Most of the fish, which Buscher calls the "Sea Monster", is now cut up in his Conifer freezer. "We've had halibut fillet in the freezer and always at the store to eat, but now I have halibut for years," he said.

Buscher said that it took eight boxes to bring all of the halibut home. He added that he was recognized at the airport as a celebrity fisherman of sorts.

In case you're wondering, Buscher used 50-pound test braided line and a Penn Torque 10 reel mounted to a 7-foot Penn Torque rod.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I plan on doing lots of fishing during my 4 yrs in Alaska....I'm excited to get there in March!!

I like white perch fishing, bass, bream, catfish, and just catching garfish for the hell of it, but I haven't been fishing down South in over a decade. But the best fishing for me is saltwater fishing for specks and reds plus when you saltwater fish you never know what will be on the end of the line!

ND fishing is pretty boring!!

18. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

i used to fly fish all the time, but i've been on hiatus. i need to get back into that, it was always very relaxing and a lot of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I plan on doing lots of fishing during my 4 yrs in Alaska....I'm excited to get there in March!!

I like white perch fishing, bass, bream, catfish, and just catching garfish for the hell of it, but I haven't been fishing down South in over a decade. But the best fishing for me is saltwater fishing for specks and reds plus when you saltwater fish you never know what will be on the end of the line!

ND fishing is pretty boring!!
    Once you get to Alaska you'll get to fish for SALMON.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Got a saltwater fishing trip set up next month while on vacation at a little inlet called Shem Creek right around Charleston/Mt. Pleasant. REALLY looking forward too it, July can't get here soon enough.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information