Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Our new HEAVY oline.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post
    Smart, quick, lightweight Olineman that know how to run the scheme and use correct techniques to beat heavier/slower Dlinemen, are just as good if not better than fat ones. Plus, other teams won't be snatching them up before Shanny can get them. That formula has been the staple, and until proven otherwise, will continue.
    Then can you tell me why he went out and signed Holland, at 320, drafted Clady at 320, and Lichtensteiger at 310? We will continue to run the zbs, but Shanahan and company have shown a trend to start looking for heavier ones that can play in the scheme. Today's athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster. To think of a line of 5 guys playing the zbs at the 310-330 pound range is entirely possible. Denver is moving in that direction, but other teams that run the zbs are doing the same. Atlanta, Houston, Oakland, are 3 teams that are looking for the same type of lineman.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Then can you tell me why he went out and signed Holland, at 320, drafted Clady at 320, and Lichtensteiger at 310? We will continue to run the zbs, but Shanahan and company have shown a trend to start looking for heavier ones that can play in the scheme. Today's athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster. To think of a line of 5 guys playing the zbs at the 310-330 pound range is entirely possible. Denver is moving in that direction, but other teams that run the zbs are doing the same. Atlanta, Houston, Oakland, are 3 teams that are looking for the same type of lineman.
    You're forgetting the one that had the most success with the heavier ZBS: Green Bay. They run the scheme the last couple of years and their linemen are all in the 310 to 320 area.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    true and I think for now pfw has said that kuper is starting RT, but regardless of where they lineup their weight is still the same.

I also think that backup weigman is a 300+ guy too.

Point being that we have an oline that seems to be just as mobile but also a lot stronger and heavier.
    Wiegmann is listed at 285 on the Broncos' team page.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

I agree with you on this while I'd never advocated big fat OLINE guys it has always been my contention that there are bigger OLINES that are smart and can be fast enough to do the job..

The only reason we have not been able to get them are simply mikey thought he could get away with building it with converted players, FA and late second day choices..

What happened was Alex moved on, and mikey realized he had to spend more diligence in bring folks in on day one..

Bigger is better as long as they are smart, fast and can play ZBS. There has never been a law out there that big OLINE guys can't meet the criteria.. We just have not been willing to pay for them, on day one..

Once you have a OLINE in place you did not have to spend day one picks on them every year or every third year we can probably get way doing so every fourth year or so.. as they tend to last longer than RB's WR's and LB's..

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Wiegmann is listed at 285 on the Broncos' team page.

-----
    but he is also listed at 6'2" might be lighter but his weight to height ratio is about the same

Nalen 6-3 286 3.8133
    Weigmann 6-2 285 3.851
    lict 6-3 310 4.1333
    OT
    Harris 6-5 300 3.896
    clady 6-6 316 4.051
    Kuper 6-4 302 3.9735
    OG
    Hamilton 6-4 290 3.8157
    Holland 6-3 322 4.3513

BTW who knows how much they really weigh..

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

I am excited about our O-line being heavy. Hopefully this will enable them to protect Cutler better. The guys didn't look overweight, but they did look like someone you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley.
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    but he is also listed at 6'2" might be lighter but his weight to height ratio is about the same

Nalen 6-3 286 3.8133
    Weigmann 6-2 285 3.851
    lict 6-3 310 4.1333
    OT
    Harris 6-5 300 3.896
    clady 6-6 316 4.051
    Kuper 6-4 302 3.9735
    OG
    Hamilton 6-4 290 3.8157
    Holland 6-3 322 4.3513

BTW who knows how much they really weigh..
    Thanks, JR...and this just goes to back up what I said previously.

Look at the 40times! Whatever happened to bigger/Faster? All I see is fatter and slower. That WILL come into play when they're trying to get out to the second level. This could very well open up holes for the RB, but it'll be totally up to him to make it any further, since his Olinemen will be behind him, gasping for O2......
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Look at the 40times! Whatever happened to bigger/Faster? All I see is fatter and slower. That WILL come into play when they're trying to get out to the second level. This could very well open up holes for the RB, but it'll be totally up to him to make it any further, since his Olinemen will be behind him, gasping for O2......
    Very seldom is an O-lineman required to run 40 yards, RC. I would be far more
    interested in the comparative 10-yard times.

-----

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

-----
    Linebackers are not lined up 40 yard deep.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 06-11-2008 at 08:07 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

You want to the look at the splits not the total 40. Also good are the 20 yard shuttles and 3 cone drill to look at how they move.

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    You want to the look at the splits not the total 40. Also good are the 20 yard shuttles and 3 cone drill to look at how they move.
    please any help here would be great do you got them?

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    please any help here would be great do you got them?
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-perfo...y-yard-shuttle

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...xpos&order=ASC (you need to play with this one since it a web db)

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Did anyone notice what I did here?

It has the fastest linebacker doing the 40 in 3.98. And all of them did it in 4.29 or less.

There's something mess up there.

-----

Just because he signs heavier guys doesn't mean he's never going to have 290# guys, zig....do you agree with that? Holland was out there, and the line was deathly weak. It's not like Holland's a 1st rounder....lol. And Clady, he's been called the 'dancing bear' for a reason. His footwork is EXCEPTIONAL for a guy his size. That translates to 'better than Most big guys'.

Lich? A couple of buffets is all he is, over Nalen....

Don't get me wrong. I'd love for the line to be able to make holes against the bigger Dlines for short yardage/goal line situations....but until I hear the words "I'm going bigger" from Shanny....I'll continue to think he's not changed his philosophy.

-----
    Top, did you NOT see the proverbial tongue-in-cheek??????

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information