Thread: The 2005 Draft

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default The 2005 Draft

I started looking at this draft because of Jay Bruce's success...but seriously, check out this first round, it's pretty insane...knowing that there have been a lot more misses than hits in the first round of the MLB draft.

So, with this being draft week, I give you the 2005 draft:

1, Arizona, Justin Upton, SS
    2, Kansas City, Alex Gordon, 3B
    3, Seattle, Jeff Clement, C
    4, Washington, Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
    5, Milwaukee, Ryan Braun, 3B
    6, Toronto, Ricardo Romero, P
    7, Colorado, Troy Tulowitski, SS
    8, Tampa Bay, Wade Townsend, P
    9, New York Mets, Mike Pelfrey, P
    10, Detroit, Cameron Maybin, CF
    11, Pittsburgh, Andrew McCutchen, OF
    12, Cincinnati, Jay Bruce, OF

Later in the round:
    23, Boston, Jacoby Ellsbury, OF
    25, Minnesota, Matt Garza, P

The only players you could say may be "busts" in the Top Dozen may be Ricardo Romero and Wade Townsend. Both were college seniors who have never got past AA. Romero is languishing in AA with a 6.43 ERA in 11 appearances. Townsend is in single A with a 6.21 ERA in 13 appearances, two starts, no saves...a minor league reliever.

Romero is the 5th rated player in the Blue Jays organization. But, you have to be disappointed with a 24-year old "prospect" in AA.

For Townsend, it's tough to live up to Evan Longoria, and he's about as close to a true bust as there was in the Top Dozen. He wasn't even named to the Rays Top 10 Prospects and is languishing in Single-A, at 25 years old.

Clement is the catcher of the future for Seattle, and blocked by Johjima. He's hitting .365 in AAA with 10 HR and 32 RBI...also has 15 2B. Very good numbers, his .SLG is .722 and an OBP of .487.

McCutchen is the top prospect in the Pirates organization and is being blocked by McLouth right now, but should be with the big club this year. He's hitting .288 with 7 HR and 15 2B, plus 17 SB.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

MB........... There is vahj to be had........... And you are revieiwng a Baseball Draft........ Im disapointed. Ish
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    MB........... There is vahj to be had........... And you are revieiwng a Baseball Draft........ Im disapointed. Ish
    Huh...?

That's a good draft you dumbass.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

5. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Looking forward to this week. Draft is so much more different in baseball then other sports. Depends on the organization when it comes to AA. Marlins dont always send their top guys to Albuquerque. Maybin is with Jupiter at the moment and I doubt we will see him.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    Looking forward to this week. Draft is so much more different in baseball then other sports. Depends on the organization when it comes to AA. Marlins dont always send their top guys to Albuquerque. Maybin is with Jupiter at the moment and I doubt we will see him.
    The athleticism of players and their maturity is starting to make the draft very important. I think the 2005 draft shows that players can reach the majors very quickly. A team needs to draft an impact player in todays draft.

Maybin is with the Carolina Mudcats right now. He's hitting .254 with 9 HR and 13 SBs...so I don't think he's too far from being called up at some point. He's fast and he can hit. His average is a little low, and ultimately may be just as good as Ross and Jones in CF.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Marlins trade Jones and call up Maybin.

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

They just signed Jones and I know that they dont want to rush him and Ross pop, 12 HR in 42 or so at bats, hot bat. Yep Jupiter is the A club. But I agree that top players in these past drafts have been money.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoAV06 View Post
    They just signed Jones and I know that they dont want to rush him and Ross pop, 12 HR in 42 or so at bats, hot bat. Yep Jupiter is the A club. But I agree that top players in these past drafts have been money.
    Never think that the Marlins won't trade someone.

Yeah, Jupiter is the A Club, but Maybin is in Carolina with the AA club.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriBronc View Post
    I started looking at this draft because of Jay Bruce's success...but seriously, check out this first round, it's pretty insane...knowing that there have been a lot more misses than hits in the first round of the MLB draft.

So, with this being draft week, I give you the 2005 draft:

1, Arizona, Justin Upton, SS
    2, Kansas City, Alex Gordon, 3B
    3, Seattle, Jeff Clement, C
    4, Washington, Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
    5, Milwaukee, Ryan Braun, 3B
    6, Toronto, Ricardo Romero, P
    7, Colorado, Troy Tulowitski, SS
    8, Tampa Bay, Wade Townsend, P
    9, New York Mets, Mike Pelfrey, P
    10, Detroit, Cameron Maybin, CF
    11, Pittsburgh, Andrew McCutchen, OF
    12, Cincinnati, Jay Bruce, OF

Later in the round:
    23, Boston, Jacoby Ellsbury, OF
    25, Minnesota, Matt Garza, P

The only players you could say may be "busts" in the Top Dozen may be Ricardo Romero and Wade Townsend. Both were college seniors who have never got past AA. Romero is languishing in AA with a 6.43 ERA in 11 appearances. Townsend is in single A with a 6.21 ERA in 13 appearances, two starts, no saves...a minor league reliever.

Romero is the 5th rated player in the Blue Jays organization. But, you have to be disappointed with a 24-year old "prospect" in AA.

For Townsend, it's tough to live up to Evan Longoria, and he's about as close to a true bust as there was in the Top Dozen. He wasn't even named to the Rays Top 10 Prospects and is languishing in Single-A, at 25 years old.

Clement is the catcher of the future for Seattle, and blocked by Johjima. He's hitting .365 in AAA with 10 HR and 32 RBI...also has 15 2B. Very good numbers, his .SLG is .722 and an OBP of .487.

McCutchen is the top prospect in the Pirates organization and is being blocked by McLouth right now, but should be with the big club this year. He's hitting .288 with 7 HR and 15 2B, plus 17 SB.
    I am certainly happy with the Brewers pick

11. The Following User High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sylvester Williams

To the other extreme:

2000 Draft

1. Marlins: 1B Adrian Gonzalez-- Padres starting 1B

2. Twins: RHP Adam Johnson --now in independent league baseball

3. Cubs: SS Luis Montanez -- AA Orioles

4. Royals: LHP Mike Stodolka -- now a 1B in AAA

5. Expos: RHP Justin Wayne --6.13 ERA in 26 games for Marlins before being released in 2005

6. Rays: OF Rocco Baldelli --sad story. Looked to have a promising career.

7. Rockies: RHP Matt Harrington --turned down a $5.3 mil. offer//has played independent ball

8. Tigers: RHP Matt Wheatland-- now in independent league baseball

9. Padres: LHP Mark Phillips --now in independent league baseball

10. Angels: LHP Joe Torres-- White Sox AA

Info from ESPN The Magazine article.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived keithbishop For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by keithbishop View Post
    To the other extreme:

2000 Draft

1. Marlins: 1B Adrian Gonzalez-- Padres starting 1B

2. Twins: RHP Adam Johnson --now in independent league baseball

3. Cubs: SS Luis Montanez -- AA Orioles

4. Royals: LHP Mike Stodolka -- now a 1B in AAA

5. Expos: RHP Justin Wayne --6.13 ERA in 26 games for Marlins before being released in 2005

6. Rays: OF Rocco Baldelli --sad story. Looked to have a promising career.

7. Rockies: RHP Matt Harrington --turned down a $5.3 mil. offer//has played independent ball

8. Tigers: RHP Matt Wheatland-- now in independent league baseball

9. Padres: LHP Mark Phillips --now in independent league baseball

10. Angels: LHP Joe Torres-- White Sox AA

Info from ESPN The Magazine article.
    I know Adrian and thats about it.
    Its funny looking back at old drafts and seeing whos who.
    I do that a lot with football. I always look back and see what players are doing 5 years later and stuff.
    Its always neat to look at.

But the 2005 draft was a pretty solid one.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information