Thread: Bo Diddley Passes at 79

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Default Bo Diddley Passes at 79

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...317852,00.html

Blues and rock and roll legend Bo Diddley has died of heart failure at his home in Archer, Florida, at the age of 79.

Diddley had suffered a heart attack in August 2007, three months after suffering a stroke while touring in the Midwest.

Doctors said the stroke affected his ability to speak, and he had returned to Florida to continue rehabilitation.

Born Ellas Bates in McComb, Mississippi, in 1928, Diddley was later adopted by his mother's cousin and took on the name Ellis McDaniel, which his wife always called him.

The talented artist began playing the violin when his family moved to Chicago.

He learned the guitar at the age of ten and started his musical career playing on street corners with friends.

He adopted the stage name "Bo Diddley", and became known for his homemade square guitar, dark glasses and black hat.

The name Bo Diddley came from other youngsters when he was growing up in Chicago, he said in a 1999 interview.

"I don't know where the kids got it, but the kids in grammar school gave me that name," he said

also reportedly gave other versions of how he got his name.

His first single, "Bo Diddley," introduced record buyers in 1955 to his signature rhythm, the "Bo Diddley Beat".

The B side, "I'm a Man," with its slightly humorous take on macho pride, also became a rock standard.

His personalised rumba-like beat has since been used by street performers all over the world.

Diddley was also one of the pioneers of the electric guitar, adding reverb and tremelo effects.

Some of his major songs include, "Say Man", "You Can't Judge a Book by It's Cover", "Shave and a Haircut", "Uncle John", "Who Do You Love?" and "The Mule".

The influential guitarist had received numerous accolades for his contributions to music, including a Grammy award for Lifetime Achievement and being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Commenting on his musical career, Bo Diddley had said in an interview: "I came out of school and made something of myself. There are guys who have done a lot of things that don't have the same impact that I had."

Another pioneer of rock n' roll is gone.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=sgzn7VyoqEw
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=DHgqtC02Qt0
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv8A0UJOB70

2. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

KCL

He was good...led a long talented life!

RIP

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

I wonder if anyone told Bo Jackson yet.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

Adopted Bronco:

The Blues is my favorite music. Definately a bad day for the genre.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information