Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drafting Josh McDaniels

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Default Drafting Josh McDaniels

Peyton Manning. John Elway.

Two names synonymous with first overall draft selection greats.

Both QBs.

Both outstanding players.

Both started games in their first year of the NFL.

Both made alot of mistakes in that first season as well.

Both went on, and one still on, to have HOF careers. (Manning is already a first ballot shoo in)

But if there were a draft for NFL headcoaches, and I had the number one pick, who would I pick knowing what I know at this moment?

Removing Shanahan, but looking at the headcoaches who have been available in the past few years, who would it be?

Cowher? Gruden? Spagnolo? Morris?

What about McDaniels?

I am uber impressed with this young man. I can see why Bowlen picked him, and why he is happy with what he sees.

Some people would call him a dumb*ss. Why? Because he traded Cutler, Marshall and Scheff, and he didnt have any headcoaching experience to hang his hat on.

But thats one of the things that has me enamored with him. You see, if Bill Belichick were the new headcoach of the Denver Broncos last year, and it were him that made the exact same decisions as Josh did, the fan and league response would have been FAR, FAR different.

Possibly even, I believe, from Cutler. Lets rehash.(its the offseason)

Belichick gets a call from Detroit and Tampa Bay talking interest about Culter. Belichick listens. Decides no. Cutler finds out and starts whining. Belichick tells him everyone is a possible trade commodity on the team. We merely listened, dont get yer panties in a bunch, youre our QB. Cutler responds with, is it possible I will be traded in the future? Belichick says, we will listen to any offer, and if we feel it will make the Broncos a stronger team, we will pull the trigger. Thats life in the NFL son, get used to it.

Now, I dont believe Cutler would have reacted the same way if it were superbowl winning coach Belichick saying those things, and perhaps Bills maturity level over young Josh would have given him an edge on presenting it to Cutler in an encouraging but firm way rather than feeling an authoritive challenge like Josh, but if he had, Belichick would have traded Cutler just like Josh did, and while there may have been some who still questioned it, no where near the hailstorm would have hit Denver.

And thats part of the reason I like Josh. He has balls of steel. Big mind you......balls of steel. He did not give in to pressure he knew would come. He made the same decision Belichick would have made, and he made it because it was the RIGHT decision. He didnt cave. A lesser man would have caved.

Same thing goes for Marshall and Scheff. Josh made decisions he believes is best for the team. Whether they truly pan out to be remains to be seen, but it doesnt change the fact that the young man is one thing in his direction: Crystal clear.

Josh has made mistakes this past year. On the field and off, Im sure. But he is just as clear in his principles regarding himself as he is for his players: He must improve if he wants to win. Staying hungry. Staying focused. Working hard.

Combine

My head coach candidate works hard. Very hard and I like that. He is very thorough in his approach to every area of playing football in this league and what it takes to win. He is versed in QBs, WRs, Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Draft strategy, and cap management. He inspires those around him who love to win. He demands good character from his players, but more than that, he displays it himself. He is accountable. He is a force in the community as well and represents the Broncos in a good light everywhere he goes. His wife is a priority. His children are a priority. He comes from a football backround from day one of his life.

What do I see in Josh McDaniels when I view him as a possible candidate for the headcoaching position of my franchise? I see a vision. A vision instilled by him. Not only do I see production and great work ethic.....I see HUGE potential.

See, McDaniels is no where near his peak as a head coach. Heck. He has a single year under his belt.

But just like Peyton and John, the first year or two is gonna have its challenges. And this guy is learning on the run cause he hit the ground running. Hes getting reps undercenter on gameday. He has a year under his belt.

The game will slow down for him.

With the number one overall pick of the NFL headcoaching draft of 2010.......The Denver Broncos select Josh McDaniels.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

It's a good enough article - a little one sided, IMO, but it does bring up some good points.

The one thing it glosses over completely though (and since they keep making the McDaniels to Bellichick comparison) is the simple fact that if not for a lucky 6th round pick named Tom Brady, none of the 3 Superbowl wins (which are what really gave Bellichick his "uber coaching guru" status) were likely to happen.

Since that original team that won 3 Superbowls in 4 years, Bellichick's Patriots have had their share of problems like any other team. Tons of people still think he's "the poop" and a guy to model yourself after, but lets review really quick:

a) In the past 2 years, he's had just as many contract disputes, hold outs, bad character, non-team players that have publicly brought negative attention to his team as any other team. He's pretty much set a standard that unless your name is Bill Bellichick, we're going to low-ball you contractually and either trade you away or release you when you don't like it. Even Tom Brady isn't immune anymore it seems...

b) You allowed possibly the best team ever assembled (that money could buy, really) to be beaten in the Superbowl by a far inferior team. Really, you just got out-coached, badly. The effectiveness of the Giants pass-rush was just as much a matter of your failure to adapt to it as it was the fact that they played well.

c) Top players and league veteran FAs have figured out that you're just not guaranteed a Superbowl by going to NE like you used to be. A lot of high priced vets were willing to sacrifice a lot of money and put up with Bellichick's attitude because they thought it would bring them a Superbowl. Now, at least it appears from the outside, that the majority of the higher talent (and value) vets who want to be paid for their services are starting to get treated poorly. Some folks are all about the "my way or the highway, screw those greedy players" philosophy, but more of these talented vets are leaving the Patriots than are coming in FA.

Bellichick was the coach of the last decade, no doubt. I just don't know if emulating him 100% is the right answer, especially until you know you have the players in place to back it up. It would also be nice to be able to keep a good team together and not drive away your best players every offseason.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

4. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Where's this article from?

What got my attention was his grasp of what wins and what does not.

When he came to town he was pro ZBS while wanting to move to MORE PBS he said other teams wanted to incorporate it into their schemes.

BUT he knew after watching our game film, that it could not "close" the game inside the red zone.

His proclaimation we would get Bigger, faster, stronger and meaner. Showed he knew that this team was living off past glory and was soft. Either he saw that in the film before he was interviewed OR Pat clued him in as to what he was looking for.

THE only two things I had issue with intially was bringing in Paxton when we had Leach and not playing Hillis.
    After seeing Paxton perform and NOW knowing that Leach was going to get a raise when his contract expired and the reviews from the punter about how good LP is I have changed my mind on this one, even as much as I defended Leach in the past I now like this move.

As far as Hillis is concerned the more I think about this the more I think it was Bobby T promoting everyone but Hillis in the past two years.

It is well known that BT is one of the premier RB coaches in the game. When rookie HC comes to town askes BT so what do we have who do you want to keep BT says I need a top flight RB in the draft I like Moreno has the size I like "looks like another TD".
    Josh knowing that the passing game is going to struggle JUST BECAUSE it is complex and hard to learn by everyone, decides to give BT his wish for something DEN has never done since F Little.

Now not only is BT invested in KM so is Josh. So while hillis had a stellar year when finnaly called on when there was nothing left on the shelve the year before, BT and Josh have shiny new toy in Moreno. BT sees rookie gets all of the touches in practice and hillis is on the shelf until there is no other choice again like 08.

Now Josh askes BT what is going on and BT says he is not ready and KM is the man.

Late the season Josh is asked what's up with Hillis and he says we like him and he will get playing time. But it does not happen.

After the season continues to say he will get playing time. But then Quinn is dangled for Hillis the QB that he really wanted in the jay trade so Hillis goes to maybe star in CLE and Josh has his future QB when KO becomes a UFA.

Any way that is what I think happened in the only things I have not liked about Josh coming to town.

I know that many here do not like Josh for a mulitude of reasons. IMHO none of them justified and can't be other than mikey love, Billy/NE hate or they wanted someone else to be hired.

It is just that simple. IMO.
    Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Lonestar For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Awesome.

Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Peyton Manning. John Elway.

Two names synonymous with first overall draft selection greats.

Both QBs.

Both outstanding players.

Both started games in their first year of the NFL.

Both made alot of mistakes in that first season as well.

Both went on, and one still on, to have HOF careers. (Manning is already a first ballot shoo in)

But if there were a draft for NFL headcoaches, and I had the number one pick, who would I pick knowing what I know at this moment?

Removing Shanahan, but looking at the headcoaches who have been available in the past few years, who would it be?

Cowher? Gruden? Spagnolo? Morris?

What about McDaniels?

I am uber impressed with this young man. I can see why Bowlen picked him, and why he is happy with what he sees.

Some people would call him a dumb*ss. Why? Because he traded Cutler, Marshall and Scheff, and he didnt have any headcoaching experience to hang his hat on.

But thats one of the things that has me enamored with him. You see, if Bill Belichick were the new headcoach of the Denver Broncos last year, and it were him that made the exact same decisions as Josh did, the fan and league response would have been FAR, FAR different.

Possibly even, I believe, from Cutler. Lets rehash.(its the offseason)

Belichick gets a call from Detroit and Tampa Bay talking interest about Culter. Belichick listens. Decides no. Cutler finds out and starts whining. Belichick tells him everyone is a possible trade commodity on the team. We merely listened, dont get yer panties in a bunch, youre our QB. Cutler responds with, is it possible I will be traded in the future? Belichick says, we will listen to any offer, and if we feel it will make the Broncos a stronger team, we will pull the trigger. Thats life in the NFL son, get used to it.

Now, I dont believe Cutler would have reacted the same way if it were superbowl winning coach Belichick saying those things, and perhaps Bills maturity level over young Josh would have given him an edge on presenting it to Cutler in an encouraging but firm way rather than feeling an authoritive challenge like Josh, but if he had, Belichick would have traded Cutler just like Josh did, and while there may have been some who still questioned it, no where near the hailstorm would have hit Denver.

And thats part of the reason I like Josh. He has balls of steel. Big mind you......balls of steel. He did not give in to pressure he knew would come. He made the same decision Belichick would have made, and he made it because it was the RIGHT decision. He didnt cave. A lesser man would have caved.

Same thing goes for Marshall and Scheff. Josh made decisions he believes is best for the team. Whether they truly pan out to be remains to be seen, but it doesnt change the fact that the young man is one thing in his direction: Crystal clear.

Josh has made mistakes this past year. On the field and off, Im sure. But he is just as clear in his principles regarding himself as he is for his players: He must improve if he wants to win. Staying hungry. Staying focused. Working hard.

Combine

My head coach candidate works hard. Very hard and I like that. He is very thorough in his approach to every area of playing football in this league and what it takes to win. He is versed in QBs, WRs, Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Draft strategy, and cap management. He inspires those around him who love to win. He demands good character from his players, but more than that, he displays it himself. He is accountable. He is a force in the community as well and represents the Broncos in a good light everywhere he goes. His wife is a priority. His children are a priority. He comes from a football backround from day one of his life.

What do I see in Josh McDaniels when I view him as a possible candidate for the headcoaching position of my franchise? I see a vision. A vision instilled by him. Not only do I see production and great work ethic.....I see HUGE potential.

See, McDaniels is no where near his peak as a head coach. Heck. He has a single year under his belt.

But just like Peyton and John, the first year or two is gonna have its challenges. And this guy is learning on the run cause he hit the ground running. Hes getting reps undercenter on gameday. He has a year under his belt.

The game will slow down for him.

With the number one overall pick of the NFL headcoaching draft of 2010.......The Denver Broncos select Josh McDaniels.
    Great thoughts. I can see that this has fell on deaf ears. With only one negative response.

I think it needs to be bumped.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Awesome.

Lmao
    At what? Just curious.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwiz View Post
    I know that many here do not like Josh for a mulitude of reasons. IMHO none of them justified and can't be other than mikey love, Billy/NE hate or they wanted someone else to be hired.

It is just that simple. IMO.
    What's so ironic, is that the way you preface your arguments in almost every single thread, you make it obvious to most any logical observer that they only reason you like McD so much, is because you hated "Mikey" so much.

Take a look in the mirror.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    At what? Just curious.
    Sorry, i should of put /sarcasm.

14. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    What's so ironic, is that the way you preface your arguments in almost every single thread, you make it obvious to most any logical observer that they only reason you like McD so much, is because you hated "Mikey" so much.

Word.

16. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Sorry, i should of put /sarcasm.
    I'm sorry it went right by me.

18. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

QFT. Believe it or not, you can debate McDaniels' effectiveness or performance without ever mentioning you know who... Most people do. Only JR brings up either Shanny or Cutler in every debate when anyone mentions something negative about the current regime.

I'm totally behind the current regime and am totally ready for a McDaniels coached, McCoy and Martindale coordinated, Orton QB'd TEAM to lead us to the playoffs. If it doesn't happen though, I won't be surprised and I'm not holding my breath. I have hope, though!

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Did not hate mikey just did not drool over the way some have in the past.

Thought overall untill the last couple of years he was a good to great HC.

He was never great at getting the team ready(up) for a trap game his personnel decisions IMHO were for crap.
    But was a brilliant OC.

As for Josh he is everything so far that I would be in building a TEAM.

So if YOU want to think I hated mikey I guess I can't stop you.

Because I was critical of his moves personnel does not make me a hater. Same could be said of the Josh haters except that he has not had a chance to prove or disprove himself.

Many hate him because he is not mikey did not keep the #2 offenese, traded jay, came from NE, got rid od BM,TS or Nolan.

Not. Valid reasons IMHO.

The roster/personel choices by McD specifically have been trodden over so many times, its bare and hallowed ground. I saw hallowed because it's littered with dead horses beaten to death and then beaten again. Mainly I don't talk about players who were with the Broncos in 2004 regarding the Broncos of 2010 and re-hashing it over players now gone from the roster has little appeal for me, and I imagine many others.

There's so much more to being a head coach then roster choices and so long as were talking about a "mock" coaching draft I'd prefer to concentrate -given what has been talked about to death- playbooks, schemes, and current players fitting into both much more. All of which seem to be almost an after thought in most discussions regarding the Broncos HC.
    Last edited by BigBroncLove; 06-18-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    Temp sig till I find another one

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Where's this article from?
    Me brain.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information