Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bosshogg’s College Football 2008 Preseason Top 5 Teams

Default Bosshogg’s College Football 2008 Preseason Top 5 Teams

Bosshogg’s College Football 2008 Preseason Top 5 Teams

I can't wait for the college football season. I love me some college football. So let's jump right into it.......

I think the odds are good that the Southern Cal/Ohio State winner on September 13 will be in the BCS championship game. I also think the opponent will be either Oklahoma or the SEC champion. I’m leaning towards Georgia as the front runner for that honor. With this said the top 5 teams are really close in talent as well as expectations. These are the teams that I think will come out strong and finish that way.

1. Georgia Bulldogs - As you all know, the BCS left the possibility out there that Georgia may have been deserving of a shot at the BCS title. They didn't get it, so they came in 3rd place, but with running back Knowshon Moreno and quarterback Matthew Stafford set to return, is there any doubting that this is the team to beat in the SEC this year? And with that being the case, we all know that the SEC has been the best conference in football for the better part of the last decade, so the best team in the conference certainly deserves to go into the season ranked #1. Sorry for all you anti-SEC fans. But watch out Bulldogs…..USC, Oklahoma, Ohio St. and Missouri aren’t too far behind you.

2. USC Trojans - You just can't ever count out a Pete Carroll coached team when you're talking about contending for the national championship. Sure, they lost John David Booty at quarterback, but with talents like Mark Sanchez and Mitch Mustang (from Arkansas) set to take over as starter at the QB position, they have the arm to replace Booty's somewhere between the two of them. The rest of the team is stacked, as usual, so losing players like Sedrick Ellis and Keith Rivers to the first round of draft just allows them to reload for what should be another competitive football season for the men of troy.

3. Oklahoma Sooners - Quarterback Sam Bradford showed that he was just about as good as anyone in his freshman year. In his sophomore season, don't be surprised if he looks to pull a Tim Tebow and take a run at the Heisman Trophy thingy that some of the great college football players win from time to time. Losing Malcolm Kelly to draft takes away his most reliable target from last season, but with the emergence of DeMarco Murray at running back last year, something tells me that Bradford won't see a whole lot of two-shell secondary alignments this season. If the offensive line plays up to par the Sooners should have no problem winning games. I think the Sooners have the best offensive line in all of college football.

4. Ohio State Buckeyes – Ohio State is a very dangerous team. The defense lost Gholston and Larry Grant, but they have nine starters returning with a bad taste in their mouth from last year. Ohio State also has one of the best kicking duos with Ryan Pretorius and A.J. Trapasso. 2007 was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes went on to the National Championship game where they loss to the LSU Tigers. Not bad for a rebuilding year if you ask me. This years team will be better and Chris Wells will be a Heisman front runner.

5. Missouri Tigers – I like the fact that the Tigers are loaded with talent. The Tigers have a very good QB in Chase Daniel. Watch out for RB Derrick Washington. The kid is very talented. He should be able to turn some heads this year behind a pretty good and experienced offensive line. I expect the Tigers to have a very strong season. They have too many good players and play makers on both sides of the football. Missouri will have some big games to prove they belong with the big boys. But I think Chase Daniel will be up for the challenge.

~Bosshogg~

2. The Following 9 Users High Fived BOSSHOGG30 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Do you like MU over KU better?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthemiddle View Post
    Do you like MU over KU better?
    Yes, I think 2007 was a fluke. Now that Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech are on the schedule we’ll find out. They also visit South Florida which won’t be an easy trip.

5. The Following User High Fived BOSSHOGG30 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Boss - if you have time, I think it would be interesting for you to preview at least the top conferences - maybe that is something that you already planned on doing

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Quote Originally Posted by BOSSHOGG30 View Post
    Yes, I think 2007 was a fluke. Now that Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech are on the schedule we’ll find out. They also visit South Florida which won’t be an easy trip.
    I agree with you. I have seen another pre-season poll ( can't remember which ) that had KU at #4.

I am a fan of Chase Daniels. I am ready for him to graduate or get drafted...he hurts my Buffs...

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Boss - if you have time, I think it would be interesting for you to preview at least the top conferences - maybe that is something that you already planned on doing
    I plan on doing a lot of different things with preseason rankings, player rankings, and so on.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived BOSSHOGG30 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bucky

OU at #3??? Really? They won't even win the Big12. Texas Tech will.

Adopted Bronco:

I remember scouting both Daniel and Stafford in high school. I still dont miss those days.

I think you're pretty right on with that Top 5, Boss. Solid.

Knowshon for Heisman!

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived ChampWJ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

[B]

2. USC Trojans - You just can't ever count out a Pete Carroll coached team when you're talking about contending for the national championship. Sure, they lost John David Booty at quarterback, but with talents like Mark Sanchez and Mitch Mustang (from Arkansas) set to take over as starter at the QB position, they have the arm to replace Booty's somewhere between the two of them. The rest of the team is stacked, as usual, so losing players like Sedrick Ellis and Keith Rivers to the first round of draft just allows them to reload for what should be another competitive football season for the men of troy.

~Bosshogg~
    His name is exactly WHY I would count them out. Dude is a terrible coach. Always has been. He can recruit, but is clueless as a gameday coach. He had a great class, which he has turned into more very good classes. Problem is, w/ that talent he has a lot of awful, unexcusable losses. He couldn't figure out how to even slow down a 1 man show in Texas and then loses to Stanford, etc. I gotta say I'm not the least bit shocked from all the recent controversey either...I said 4 years ago...It's only gonna be a matter of time.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by nj10 View Post

Good job Boss. Looking forward to more.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Welcome to the team Boss. I look forward to your insight into the world of college football. Good article.

Quote Originally Posted by nj10 View Post
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

I really enjoyed watching MU this past season.Chase is a heck of a
    QB with alot of talent around him.MU got ripped off in the bowl games
    last season...IMO.

My husband likes watching college football better than pro football.

Good post Boss!

Adopted Bronco:
    Selvin Young

Bosshogg’s College Football 2008 Preseason Top 5 Teams

I can't wait for the college football season. I love me some college football. So let's jump right into it.......

I think the odds are good that the Southern Cal/Ohio State winner on September 13 will be in the BCS championship game. I also think the opponent will be either Oklahoma or the SEC champion. I’m leaning towards Georgia as the front runner for that honor. With this said the top 5 teams are really close in talent as well as expectations. These are the teams that I think will come out strong and finish that way.

1. Georgia Bulldogs - As you all know, the BCS left the possibility out there that Georgia may have been deserving of a shot at the BCS title. They didn't get it, so they came in 3rd place, but with running back Knowshon Moreno and quarterback Matthew Stafford set to return, is there any doubting that this is the team to beat in the SEC this year? And with that being the case, we all know that the SEC has been the best conference in football for the better part of the last decade, so the best team in the conference certainly deserves to go into the season ranked #1. Sorry for all you anti-SEC fans. But watch out Bulldogs…..USC, Oklahoma, Ohio St. and Missouri aren’t too far behind you.

3. Oklahoma Sooners - Quarterback Sam Bradford showed that he was just about as good as anyone in his freshman year. In his sophomore season, don't be surprised if he looks to pull a Tim Tebow and take a run at the Heisman Trophy thingy that some of the great college football players win from time to time. Losing Malcolm Kelly to draft takes away his most reliable target from last season, but with the emergence of DeMarco Murray at running back last year, something tells me that Bradford won't see a whole lot of two-shell secondary alignments this season. If the offensive line plays up to par the Sooners should have no problem winning games. I think the Sooners have the best offensive line in all of college football.

4. Ohio State Buckeyes – Ohio State is a very dangerous team. The defense lost Gholston and Larry Grant, but they have nine starters returning with a bad taste in their mouth from last year. Ohio State also has one of the best kicking duos with Ryan Pretorius and A.J. Trapasso. 2007 was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes went on to the National Championship game where they loss to the LSU Tigers. Not bad for a rebuilding year if you ask me. This years team will be better and Chris Wells will be a Heisman front runner.

5. Missouri Tigers – I like the fact that the Tigers are loaded with talent. The Tigers have a very good QB in Chase Daniel. Watch out for RB Derrick Washington. The kid is very talented. He should be able to turn some heads this year behind a pretty good and experienced offensive line. I expect the Tigers to have a very strong season. They have too many good players and play makers on both sides of the football. Missouri will have some big games to prove they belong with the big boys. But I think Chase Daniel will be up for the challenge.

~Bosshogg~
    I will pick Knowshon Moreno right now, to be atleast in the top three Heisman candidates..............And I really think he will win it .

20. The Following User High Fived HolyDiver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information